:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
whats going down on september 10th?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yulia_Fan_4evr

Post subject: whats going down on september 10th? Reply with quote
i read this from Addicted. im not very smart, could someone explain what it means in easier terms. it sounds bad but i dont know. heres where i got it http://www.tatu.us/addicted/news.htm
PostFri Sep 05, 2003 3:11 pm
Mad Debz

Post subject: Reply with quote
It's to do with Kipper's copywrites on Tatu songs. She owns some of them and if she wanted she could stop Tatu singing some of the songs, some court case or the likes basically. She's just trying to use Tatu to better her caree and is obviusly bitter after she stoped working with them. Rolleyes

MD

More pics soon!
http://www.tbforumers.com/tatugay05.html
PostFri Sep 05, 2003 3:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Abe

That's messed up! Mad Even more so, if she decides to strip them of certain songs in the end. Kipper should just let them be and move on with her own career. Instead, it's basically what MD just said.. still this is something that could affect the group big time. Serious stuff Half Frown

†††Abe†††
PostFri Sep 05, 2003 7:04 pm
Troika

I'm suprised this didn't happen earlier especially with Ivan trying to take all the credit for Tatu and their music at one time or has this case been going on for a while?.

Suck's though.
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 5:44 am
Thoralin

Why is this text written as if it meant not to be understood ?
For example the second sentense :
The invited participants to the round table are Helen Kiper, (…), Universal Music Russia and other occasion of the organization of a similar conference became the solution of former managers of group Helen Kiper's "Tatu" to cancel its agreement with the company "Neformat", which transmitted copyrights to the compositions written by Helen.
It looks a bit like an automatic translation.

I suppose the reason/excuse for the contract is that Neformat hasn’t kept it’s end of the bargain, by not mentioning not mentioning her as a co-author (like Mad Debz said).
If she can benefit from prosecuting Neformat or t.A.T.u. it is rather normal that she does. Business is business.
The distribution of the songs will probably not be forbidde because there is more money to be gained from an agreement that includes selling songs than no agreement.

Edit :I just found this on tatysite.net

Yelena Kiper will determine the future of t.A.T.u. songs
The conference “Problems of exploitation of the Russian authors’ rights in Russia and abroad” will take place on Septemer, 10. Among the invited to the conference there’s Elena Kiper, along with the representatives from Universal Music Russia, BMG Russia. The main reason of organising such a conference lies in the decision of Elena Kiper to terminate her contract with Neformat which is a holder of the royalties for t.A.T.u. songs. Details of a trial between the parties will be announced at a round table. Miss Kiper is intended to tell the reasons why she’s terminating the contract with Neformat and what she is going to do with her rights on t.A.T.u. songs when they’ll be returned to her. Theoretically she may even forbid performing her songs ever again or to revoke the CD copies in the countries where her name is not published among the authors. There’s the third way out – to delegate the rights to the third party. The final fate of t.A.T.u. songs will be determined on September, 10.

Source: TatySite.net (by material of InterMedia)

They represent it as if there is little chance that Lena Kipper (or Kipper, what is it ?) is going to boycott t.A.T.u.
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 3:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kr0k0

But she can't have any right on Tatu's english songs, like "All The Things She Said". And I think they'll reach an agreement.
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 11:58 pm
IamNot

Mad Debz wrote:
It's to do with Kipper's copywrites on Tatu songs. She owns some of them and if she wanted she could stop Tatu singing some of the songs, some court case or the likes basically. She's just trying to use Tatu to better her caree and is obviusly bitter after she stoped working with them. Rolleyes

MD

"Her songs"?? Technically, she may be able to take those songs,
unfortunately. Even the "english" versions, possibly. Taking
away the russian versions would be stripping Tatu alot because it
is their native tonugue and all. All in all, I do not want
this woman to take anything from the group. But deep down, if
she wrote some songs, I think she shall receive the proper royalites
(money). I'm just using reality and sense in my opinion.
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 5:15 am
Troika

Yeah She wrote some of the song's (I think, YSSU, NND and Malchik Gay) and I agree with Her course of action if format and/or Ivan are fucking Her over some how but like other's have said they will probably come to an aggrement but the thing is there seem's to be a lot of bad blood between Ivan and Kipper.
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:20 am
iamxtra

eh... tat would be fuked if she did do tat.. but it is her song.. its her rights... still... its.... fuk..ed.. u..p

--you left me behind.. time won't heal this damage anymore--
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 6:45 am
Loving_Yulia_4_Ever

Post subject: Hmmm, Interesting..... Reply with quote
Troika wrote:
Yeah She wrote some of the song's (I think, YSSU, NND and Malchik Gay) and I agree with Her course of action if format and/or Ivan are fucking Her over some how but like other's have said they will probably come to an aggrement but the thing is there seem's to be a lot of bad blood between Ivan and Kipper.

hehe, well u see Elena Kiper is working on "Nichya" now at the moment - and as far as I know, she wrote songs for TATU like "Ya Soshla S Uma", "Nas Ne Dogoniat" and then something happened between her & Ivan and they unfortunately split up.

My understanding is that she received VERY LITTLE (if any) royalties at all from the TATU songs, as they were translated by Trevor Horn into English which (obviously) made tens of thousands of dollars for Shapovalov and his counterparts...

She undoubtedly has THE rights to withdraw her songs from TATU, i have no doubt about that.... without her, i believe Shapovalov wouldn't be who he is today...
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 7:43 am
Rob

I'm not worried about these news as this is judging by the past a typical "Kiper-action" just when her own project needs attention she creates it by turning interest on herself by dragging tATu into it. She did that more than once in the past.

This will be be handled by lawyers and money - she will get what she deserves.
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 8:40 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Troika

Rob wrote:
she will get what she deserves.

Hopefully that's a lot of money.
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 9:56 am
IamNot

Troika wrote:
Rob wrote:

Then maybe she'll finally go away and leave them alone Half Frown Half Frown
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 10:22 am
Troika

Krzyzski wrote:
Troika wrote:
Rob wrote:

Hopefully but unlikely, from what I can tell Kipper really has it in for Ivan and some people think She's hate's Yulia as well.
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 1:56 pm
s e o u l x 6 9

wah? im confuzzled.......... Confused
PostSun Sep 07, 2003 11:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Loving_Yulia_4_Ever

Troika wrote:
Krzyzski wrote:
Troika wrote:
Rob wrote:

Hopefully but unlikely, from what I can tell Kipper really has it in for Ivan and some people think She's hate's Yulia as well.

lol Grin why would Kiper hate Yulia for?? Hmmm laugh unless Yulia blatantly supports Ivan for his actions... Rolleyes

Grin
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 12:35 am
tatyshki

Mad
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 8:27 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
iamxtra

Loving_Yulia_4_Ever wrote:
Troika wrote:
Krzyzski wrote:
Troika wrote:
Rob wrote:

lol Grin why would Kiper hate Yulia for?? Hmmm laugh unless Yulia blatantly supports Ivan for his actions... Rolleyes

Grin

umm.. it was jus something i read from other forums i dont' remember which n i dont' kno if its tru ... wasn't becuz kip. beleive yulia n ivan had something together... ack id uNNO o_Oz.... but yea.....

--you left me behind.. time won't heal this damage anymore--
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:25 am
Troika

Some people have mentioned how in interview's Kipper would talk fondly of Lena and never mention Yulia, plus if it was true that Yulia and Ivan had/have something going then Kipper could have been jealous because She apparently had a thing going with Him at one time, there were also rumor's that Kipper attempted suicide over Him once.

But I dont know how much of that is true like most thing's Tatu related this is mainly tabloid rumor's and speculation.

But this should get sorted out in the end because at the end of the day Kipper is a business Women and probably wouldn't want to lose any future royalty's.
PostMon Sep 08, 2003 9:42 am
ldAIsyl

hey guys well i found this on http://users.pandora.be/tatu.russia

Elena Kiper has named the former partner the speculator (11th/september/2003)
Press conference 'Problems of operation of copyrights' has passed in press centre 'MK' September, 10. The main occasion became proceeding between former coproduser of group 'Tatu' Elena Kiper and Open Company 'Neformat'. Mrs. Kiper, the co-author of texts of songs 'Ya soshla s uma' and 'Nas ne dogoniat', has decided to terminate the contract about transfer of the copyrights to these products to 'Neformat' because the company does not carry out contract obligations. Detailed comments on this business were given with Elena's lawyer Alexey Shul'ga (sheself has got stuck in a fuse). He has told, that in April, 2002 Mrs. Kiper has signed the contract about transfer of the copyrights to exclusive using company 'Neformat'. Open Company should represent her interests as the author to give reports on realization of disks and to pay compensations. In spite of the fact that the total circulation of albums of 'Tatu' all over the world has exceeded 1 million copy, Lena has not seen fees, even reports. 'There were only any payment orders with the ridiculous sums like 519 roubles, - Alexey Shul'ga has informed. - all this time she ate promises of 'Neformat'. It is not necessary to forget, that this situation influenced and her publicity. Her co-authorship was specified farly from being everywhere because of what Kiper, has gone from 'Neformat', could not use the fact of the participation in two main hits 'Tatu' for development of own career'. Representatives of Open Company 'Neformat' responded on questions on a royalty, that money at them is not present and it is necessary to wait still. Then Elena has decided to resort to the help of the lawyer. 'At us was two ways, - Mr. Shul'ga speaks. - it was possible to declare financial requirements return of the debt. Practice shows, that this way was often not succesfull: when business reaches court, is found out, that on the account at the respondent a zero and the property on balance at it is not present - accordingly to take from it there is nothing. Therefore we have decided to go that what in state law name 'change or the termination rightsship' in other word - to terminate the contract and to return rights to the author. We do not show financial claims. Now'. The contract is terminated on the basis of essential infringements of one of the sides of its conditions. May, 20 Kiper has sent in 'Neformat' the notice on cancellation of the contract. 'Literally next day on Elena's account the significant sum has come, but I have recommended her to not get it, - have told Shul'ga. - Time we leave the contract, means, we do not apply for this money'. Any other reaction of 'Neformat' has not followed. In middle of July Elena Kiper has submitted the statement of claim in Timiriazewskij court. ' On norms of the right, the notice it is enough to count the contract terminated, - has told the lawyer. - However in show business all is under construction on good relations and nobody risks to have affairs with actives which can be challenged. Therefore we have decided to arm with a judgement'. On preliminary hearing representatives of 'Neformat' were not. The basic trial is held September, 11. The lawyer has denied opinion, that all these courts and press conferences - a part of the next devil pr-plan of 'Tatu's' producer Ivan Shapovalov for maintenance of popularity of group.
When the lawyer has finished speech and has replied, was found out, that Elena Kiper will arrive not yet soon. The part of journalists has taken offence and has left a hall. Appeared with one and half of hour delay the actress has declared the staying: 'Excuse for delay. This female. I at all did not want to come here because for me it is an ill subject. It would not be desirable to mix itself with litigation'. Elena has told, why so long did not bring an action: 'I was afraid. Some employees of 'Neformat' put upon me emotional pressure. Besides I trusted, that all will be adjusted '. Mrs. Kiper has admitted, that does not wish evil to 'Tatu', but the girls, in her opinion, now are in unpleasant position though behave confidently: 'If I continued to play these dolls, to you it would be more interesting. Such scandalous aggression at the project would not be. And now behind this group stand those whom I name the not civilized player, the advertiser, black pr-er, the upstart and the speculator ' (surname Shapovalov thus has not sounded). In case of success of litigation Elena Kiper intends to give the returned copyrights of the large western company and enter her catalogue: ' Due to not civilized players I not mention as the author in one catalogue. 'Neformat' did not want it '. Elena has declared, that any personal conflict with Shapovaliov at her is not present, and there is only a desire to restore validity. Correspondent InterMedia has asked Mrs. Kiper to comment on hearings that on the first album of 'Tatu' she wrote down in studio voice parts for Julia Volkova. 'No comments', - the answer was. In summary Elena has told, what, inher opinion, would become ideal development of events: 'We win court, I find creative freedom, I write a song for the Madonna, and we sing duet, I earn a heap of money, I film a picture of which for a long time dreamed. My album receives Grammy, and film - 'Oscar'.
(Source: TatuLife)

it's a pretty long article. i didn't really get it, so what happened?

Last edited by ldAIsyl on Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostThu Sep 11, 2003 2:46 pm
Lizzie24

yeah could somebody tell me simply what this means for tatu and singing these songs.

Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

thanks to nunzilla for the banner and av.

GO TEAM CANADA
PostThu Sep 11, 2003 7:10 pm
Agnes

tatu dyevochki wrote:
Mrs. Kiper has admitted, that does not wish evil to 'Tatu', but the girls, in her opinion, now are in unpleasant position though behave confidently: 'If I continued to play these dolls, to you it would be more interesting. Such scandalous aggression at the project would not be. [---] Correspondent InterMedia has asked Mrs. Kiper to comment on hearings that on the first album of 'Tatu' she wrote down in studio voice parts for Julia Volkova. 'No comments', - the answer was.

Those parts sound interesting, but what do they actually mean?? Half Frown
PostFri Sep 12, 2003 6:05 am
Troika

Agnes wrote:
tatu dyevochki wrote:
Mrs. Kiper has admitted, that does not wish evil to 'Tatu', but the girls, in her opinion, now are in unpleasant position though behave confidently: 'If I continued to play these dolls, to you it would be more interesting. Such scandalous aggression at the project would not be. [---] Correspondent InterMedia has asked Mrs. Kiper to comment on hearings that on the first album of 'Tatu' she wrote down in studio voice parts for Julia Volkova. 'No comments', - the answer was.

Those parts sound interesting, but what do they actually mean?? Half Frown

I was thinking the same?.

But what I can make of it is that Kipper wasn't getting payed what She should be (and didn't look like She ever would) so She took legal action and then Neoformat suddenly found the Money to pay Her but Her lawer advised Her (rightly considering Neoformat seemd to be holding out on Her all along) not to take it but to reclaim the right's to the song's which is what She did but correct Me if I am wrong.

Neoformat are really fucking thing's up.

One question though does this effect the English song's or just the Russian one's?.
PostFri Sep 12, 2003 9:28 am
mozzy

hi. new to the forum, and looking around at all the different topics. have been following this one in other places, and it is potentially not good at all. Kiper does not appear to have been compensated correctly, and Ivan/Neformat have been playing games. Of course there's a lot of unknown stuff that's been brought up about whether Kiper and Ivan were a couple, and whether she sang for Julia in the recording sessions. who knows, maybe this is all hype to keep people interested. it's too bad though if it affects the girls. Frown
PostFri Sep 12, 2003 7:24 pm
alex02ny

"In summary Elena has told, what, inher opinion, would become ideal development of events: 'We win court, I find creative freedom, I write a song for the Madonna, and we sing duet, I earn a heap of money, I film a picture of which for a long time dreamed. My album receives Grammy, and film - 'Oscar'. "

She doesn't seem to want much does she??? I guess it's true that the girls [tatu] really have nothing to do with all this; affect them, of course it does! Lena Kiper has no reason to wish evil upon the girls because first of all, those songs were written for them. It'd be a shame if they weren't allowed to perform the songs that made them famous though. I doubt it will happen.

Sometimes money speaks louder than words! Rolleyes
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 1:15 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Troika

alex02ny wrote:
"Sometimes money speaks louder than words! Rolleyes

That's so sad but true, but even though it suck's Kipper was %100 right in what She did and this really only prove's that Neoformat and/or Ivan are total idiot's if they believed that they could get away with not sticking to their contract and even going as far as to say they didn't have the fund's to pay Kipper (hilarious considering they have the fund's to throw away on failed tour's, appearence's and publicity stunt's) and I really hope this give's them a real good kick up the ass.

The saddest thing though is that this also effect's the Girl's in the end Frown

Last edited by Troika on Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 6:43 am
Thoralin

You people seem to have forgotten that tatysite.net used to be a good source for t.A.T.u. news. Well they are back to old habits. 2 more newses, in real English Tongue :

09.09.2003 (18:25) Lena Kiper will appear at the press-conference with a guards’ escourt
The place and time of the conference are now specified. The conference will take place in the press-centre of Moskovsky Komsomolets. Miss Kiper is going to announce that on the 11th of September, Timiryzevskiy People Law Court will examine the matter of the contract's cancellation between Neformat and Lena Kiper. In the case of a positive legal development for Miss Kiper, the majority of the t.A.T.u. songs' copyrights will be passed on to her. The experts consider Neformat’s case a weak one. As such, Lena will have a right to suspend all sales of the lesbo-duet’s album, to remove the songs from radio rotations, to impose arrest to the print runs and to prohibit the performance of these songs. Miss Kiper’s intentions are going to be cleared by her stab at the press-conference. According to Miss Kiper’s PR manager Eugeny Nichipuruk, to avoid any pressure from Ivan Shapovalov’s side, the stab eliminated all possibilities of interaction between Miss Kiper and unknown persons. At present moment, Lena has declined in giving any interviews and moves around the city in the company of guards. She is intended to appear at the press conference by all means.
The conference starts at 15:00.
Accreditation information: 508-5147 (Art-consult), 8-926-228-0165 (Eugeny Nichipuruk).

Source: InterMedia

They are not clear on what songs are targeted. I assume the sales from the album can be prevented if YSSU or NND is on it, but I wonder why she could stop the performance of “all these songs”.

13.09.2003 (13:06) The trial between Elena Kiper and Ivan Shapovalov is at a draw at the moment
The trial on the contract's cancellation between Neformat and Lena Kiper took place on the 11th of September, at Timiryzevskiy People Law Court. We remind you that Lena decided to claim her copyrights to the songs Ya Soshla S Uma (All The Things She Said) and Nas Ne Dogonyat (Not Gonna Get Us) from Neformat. Neither Miss Kiper nor Mr. Shapovalov appeared at the Court though. The lawyer, representing Miss Kiper, Alexey Shulga on his way from the Court made the following comment: “Because of the fact that the respondent intentionally avoided receiving the notification for the Court attendance, the Court decided to notify the respondent about the necessity of his presence once again.The date for the new hearing is set for 24th. If the respondent do not attend next hearing the lawsuit will go on without participation of the latter.” Mr. Shulga added, that the material from the press conference published i Gazeta with the comments of the director of Neformat Serguey Bobza has been filed for the trila examination. It is obvious out of this material that Mr. Bobza is well informed about the trial matter. “It means that Neformat is simply trying to win some time to make Miss Kiper to withdraw her claims”, - added Evgueny Nichipuruk – Miss. Kiper’s PR-manager, - The comment contains a hidden message of threat towards Lena that if she’ll continue pressing charges – she may have problems with her artistic material, particularily with her hit Nichya.

Source: TatySite.net (by material of InterMedia)

Looks like Ivan doesn’t show much interest.
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 8:49 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
IamNot

Thanks for the info Sexy
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 10:08 am
mariberrygirl

You know what I think? I think our dynamic duo need to have fewer people in their lives f**king with their minds. And their music. And their careers. All these people think about is themselves. Can't they see that the fans love Lena and Yulia no matter what they do? That's why I am becoming an even BIGGER fan of powerfullmosiquito (see the Music forum) because she's a song writer AND a fan. She's not just in it for herself, she's in it because she believes in the girls. I think people like her need our support. And I can totally hear the girls singing the songs she wrote. They would really make them rock...and another thing; if all these jerks are in it for the money, can't they see how much they stand to make if the girls keep on performing!?
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 10:40 am
lovetatumusic

maryberrygirl, who ever you are, where ever you are, you rock for supporting my friend Jane (powerfulmosquito). it's like you know the way she thinks! she wants to write for Yulia and Elena for them, not the shitheads that control everything!!!!!! Thumb
will you marry me? oh wait, I like boys....oh who cares!!!!!
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 11:44 am
mozzy

mariberrygirl wrote:
You know what I think? I think our dynamic duo need to have fewer people in their lives f**king with their minds. And their music. And their careers. All these people think about is themselves. Can't they see that the fans love Lena and Yulia no matter what they do?

I couldn't agree more. I spent a summer as an intern at a music production company and the bullshit that went on there was terrible. So many groups that got taken advantage of that were really good. So many groups that sucked but got all of the attention because they had better contracts. Well, life isn't fair. Frown
But Lena and Julia are at an age where they need to start deciding what they should do. Where they want to go. What music they sing. I agree with Mayberry that the mosquito chick is just as talented and why not give her a chance? although she might get swallowed up in the business like Kiper did. but what the hell, why not???
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 1:12 pm
chris p

mozzy wrote:
Well, life isn't fair. Frown

How true.
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 1:40 pm
untamed|passion

Was Elena Kiper the former manger in the 4pop interview or was that Beata?
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 5:28 pm
Troika

ell wrote:
Was Elena Kiper the former manger in the 4pop interview or was that Beata?

I'm not %100 sure but I think that was Beata.
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 5:33 pm
Rob

Troika wrote:
I'm not %100 sure but I think that was Beata.

It was definitely Beata. Smile
PostSat Sep 13, 2003 6:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thoralin

I’ll post here some stuff posted in the thread Yelena Kipper will determine the future of Tatu songs from the tatusite.net forum. I didn’t read everything, so I may have missed a few things.

Convol wrote :
I'm with nasnedagoniat on this. As Ivan said: "It's necessary to follow a line where there is a conflict." Although I still would like to reply to a few things in this thread.

I don't think there's hatred towards Kiper; it's just that we only get one version of the story (Kiper's version). If you look back in the history of this forum, you'll see people praising Kiper's talents, talking about her as the main contributor to Tatu (of course only contributing with the things that were great with Tatu). When things went bad for Tatu, it was easy to blame evil Ivan and wish for good Kiper to come back. These latest threads about Kiper are only a reaction against that; and a valid reaction IMO. Kiper is acting in a very hurt, bitter way (she may or may not have reasons for that) and she's slandering the group (remember the old rumours about Leonid hitting Lena and the dancers?) - it doesn't only involve the man she has a grudge against, but the girls too. In contrast, we don't see anyone from the Tatu camp attacking her in the media (to my knowledge). I think that the fact that she makes these accusations, the way she makes them, and the way she acts (not to mention the timing), say more about Kiper than her accusations say about Tatu. I don't want to take any side of this discussion, but it's interesting to challenge Kiper's version and what I write here, I'm sure some old fans and forum members know a lot more about.

It was similar with Galoyan, who by the way contributed with spreading (well, we all know how tabloids distort the truth) much worse rumours about Tatu than saying that the girls weren't lesbians (and I'm referring to his first series of attacks). It went way out of line, and what started as a business disagreement ended up with the girls dragged into it. He even "apologized" for this. What is interesting in these first series of attacks, is that the person from the Tatu camp, counter attacking and threatening Galoyan, was none other than Kiper! Neither Leonid nor Ivan (even when asked about it) wanted to really comment these matters, and avoided personal attacks. However, having said this, it wasn't a nice "revenge" to refer to Galoyan as an Armenian bandit in the album cover.

Kiper herself even said that the songs Galoyan wrote were made on an old 486 and that they had a really bad sound, and that Ivan made major changes to them. People say that Ivan tries to take all the credits for himself. Maybe? Why not have a look at Mars Lasar's web site (www.marslasar.com): "Founder of Tatu Ivan Shapovalov and I worked together with the artists to create something a little different. Once the initial idea was set in place, we'd send mp3 files from USA to Russia and back till we had the perfect blend, then the tracks were mixed." As far as I could see when Eurovision was broadcasted and the credits appeared, Ivan didn't take any credits at all.

After I have seen the video Ivan directed for 7B's "Ya Lubov", there's no doubt in my mind that Ivan (and his team) is the talent behind the videos. There are even symbolic similarities between the videos like YSSU and "Ya Lubov": love that can't be destroyed, the dark/desperate atmosphere, the prison imagery etc. Both videos are very emotionally powerful and strong IMO.

There's also the obvious inspiration from Robert Anton Wilson's "My Life After Death", which is a book Ivan reportedly carries with him all the time. Of course Kiper contributed too; can it have been the "Fucking Amal" and manga, "Japanese schoolgirls" ideas - who knows? We know that she wrote the stage directions at least, ripping the shirt open etc. The initial story with regards to how YSSU was born, was that Kiper was in hospital (another version: at the gynecologist after wild sex games with her boyfriend) and when she fell asleep she dreamt that she kissed Tutta Larsen (she's the woman that gives Tatu the award for the Russian best video when Tatu is in NY at the MTV Music Awards); and when she woke up she said: "Ya Soshla S Uma".

As far as the other authors are concerned, I don't see Voitinsky complaining, nor Riabtzev (who has recently allowed Shapovalov to buy the rights to "Strannie Tanzy"). As for Polienko; is it really the case that he's fallen out with Tatu too, or was it just a rumour (if I remember correctly it could only be read in a low quality rag that Polienko had been threatened, or something to that effect)? He seemed to enjoy himself in Riga with Tatu.

Yulia and Lena were never credited with anything, and the most positively written article about Tatu might call them charismatic and talented. Smile I remember Yulia mentioning in an early interview that she was writing opinions, analyses of herself etc. and that Kiper took care of these. These statements were later included in the book "All about Tatu" (seemingly blurring fantasy with reality) and a few of them in the booklet for the Russian album. Tatu is a project, and with these statements, info, opinions, poems (whatever you want to call them) they have contributed creatively (unless these statements were written by someone else) - so they can't be called nobodies IMO.

As far as I know, these statements as well as some character assessment of the girls by Ivan, served as a basis for the lyrics. Ivan added som drama and a few other interesting elements (of protest). Polienko (mainly) formulated the lyrics. With this, I'm not referring to the "lesbian image" (because I don't want to bring the discussion to this topic), the video for YSSU could very well be interpreted in a general manner (teenage angst, feelings of being an outcast, turning your back against the world and finding the strength to live your own life etc). Teenagers all over Russia identified with Tatu, and wouldn't it just be logical that the people behind Tatu actually were inspired among other things by the girls' own teenage characters (as Lena said: "Ivan orders lyrics that fit us. They are about our life, irresolutions, grief, and misgivings?") in order to make the lyrics more efficient with reaching out to a teenage audience?

Simon wrote:
But actually there's a completely different interpretation of the Elena Kiper interview (I'm not saying that it's true). That it wasn't the image, it was the reality that she didn't like. Originally Lena and Yulia's close friendship was "borderline", but they liked all this sexy lesbian stuff they were made to do too much and got into "lesbian perversion" themselves! She may have felt guilty!

This is an interesting interpretation. I never thought about it; but it fits well with what Kiper said: "Let's jump to bed, let's do this, let's do that" etc. or the implication of Galoyan's fantabulous ideas of the girls being hypnotised into becoming lesbians.

Elf wrote :
http://www.mk.ru/numbers/556/article17000.htm
http://www.mk.ru/numbers/556/article17014.htm

There have been 2 articles in mk.ru The second one is just a summary of the interview with Yelena Kiper (1st. article). I can't translate the whole interview, so I'll give you the general idea :)

Basically, she talks about how she is not only the author of 2 songs (as many think she is) but is also the author of the whole idea of t.A.T.u. She takes credit for their initial image - 2 inocent girls afraid of their love towards each other, their costumes, their dance choreography, etc.. The idea of "Ya Soshla S Uma" came to her when she was in a hospital suffering from overexaustion. She dreamt of Tuta Larsen kissing her and when she woke up she told herself : "I have lost my mind". She says that it was her initiative to join with Universal and promote t.A.T.u. in the west, although initially it was not profitable and didn't seem like a good idea to others (according to her, Ivan was for getting as much money as possible from Russian concerts). She also mentions that at some point she was in Love with Shapovalov... However, she said that Shapovalov never really rewarded her efforts, neither finantially nor by manifesting her as the author of the creative work. When she wrote the song "Nichya" as a birthday present for Ivan, she got a tonn of papers to sign where she would get little to no credit for the song. That's when she realized that she had to leave t.A.T.u.

In the second article, as a summary they say that Yelena is not trying to get the money - she is there for the revenge. In court she is going to prove that she, and not Ivan is behind the world-wide popularity of t.A.T.u. Her lawyer also says that the two hits represent huge finantial resourses.

The first is a really long article. It would be nice if someone could translate it. I don’t feel like reading an automatically translated version again.

Elf wrote :
Freddie wrote:
And I mentioned this so many times before: If she made stage directions for tatu concert choreography then she's a hypocrite. Why? Because he mentioned many times that she wanted a concept of borderline friendship while Ivan turned it into something sexual. Look at the concerts from Romania for instance: that act is something as sexual as sexual can be. No innuendo there. It's a show filled with erotic content. And she claims she made it. So which is it? She wanted innocence and yet wrote scripts involving 2 girls groping on stage?

In the interview, Kiper said that she was against all this hardcore stuff, she wanted to move towards anti-globalism theme. On the other hand Ivan wanted to make t.A.T.u. a purely lesbian project. She only mentioned designing dance choreography, the rest of it - sexual stuff - was Ivan's idea and she often argued with him about it (or that's what she says)

Elf wrote :
convol wrote:
Kiper wanted to move towards anti-globalism, but took the initiative to join with Universal and promote t.A.T.u. in the west (if I've understood it correctly). Kiper directed "Freeway" for Smash!! - showing the guys' bodies, making them look gay - an overall kitch video. Where are her ideas of aestheticism to be found in this video?

I guess I'm not expressing myself clearly today Yelena thought that t.A.T.u.'s image would shift towards something like "hypertrophic antiglobalism" (don't ask me what it means ) rather then erotic lesbian-girl image. That's was her "wider" interpretation of "200 in the wrong lane". However, this image had nothing to do with where they would perform - they might as well promote it all around the world . Anyway, I have to agree with you on her bad outlook. BTW, one of her "antiglobalistic" ideas was for the girls to burn a McDonalds clown.... ewww

Elf wrote :
Here is an interesting small article that I found on the russian side of the forum posted by Igor. Enjoy

EXPERT OPPINION

Maxim Kononenko
musical correspondent for "GAZETA" newspaper.

I think that this whole story will simply end up with nothing. It makes absolutely no difference whose position the court will take. The fact is that "Ya Soshla S Uma" and "Nas Ne Dagonyat" are two songs of group t.A.T.u. Of course it's possible to forbid the girls to perform them (they don't perform that often anyway). However, it is absolutely impossible to suspend the sales of "200 Po Vstrechnoy" all over the world.

Yelena's hopes to sell her rights (the ownership rights, not the author rights of course) to "a large record company" are absolutely laughable. Nobody is going to buy them. First of all, it's absolutely not clear what to do with them. Second, noone wants to argue with Universal, the world's largest record company.

It's very obvious that the whole process is there to drive some attention to Yelena and to revive the sails of her new record at least to some extent. It seems she simply lacks any other resourses. It's a pity though because the single is good althought it has two major flaws. The first flaw is in the fact that the the material is very similar to t.A.T.u,'s first hits. The second flaw is that this material has been out in the internet for almost a year now (the author is also refering to the ugly parody on t.A.T.u. called "Ne Glotat'" witch has the same music - elf) Therefore, there are no good reasons to buy the disk.

I also have doubts as to artistic abilities of Lena. I have a very high oppinion of her, however, it would be stupid not to notice that since she left t.A.T.u. she hasn't written anything new. So we should all relax - it's not going to be worse for t.A.T.u. nor any better for Yelena Kipper

PostSun Sep 14, 2003 5:25 pm
spooky

Thumb Thanks for the interesting replies and insight Thoralin!

Special thanks to Karo for the magnificent banner Hug
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 10:56 am
tony_tropicala

i think it's perfectly reasonable for Keeper to do whatever she wishes with the taty songs that she owns. she was the artist who wrote them. They are hers. she deserves the credit. i don't think she's bitter.
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 4:37 pm
Freedom

tony_tropicala wrote:
i think it's perfectly reasonable for Keeper to do whatever she wishes with the taty songs that she owns. she was the artist who wrote them. They are hers. she deserves the credit. i don't think she's bitter.

Yeee..you are right..but partly!!!
Yes she wrote the songs but she gave them( right now I forgot the right word but something like she gave the rules for the song) and maybe she was paied...for the time when she wrote those songs the money where good...but now when Tatu are huuuuuge maybe what Keper got looks miserible and now she wants more...THAT I dont understand... U never know whats going on..whats goanna be in the future...She could keep being partner with Ivan..but she made her choice...So well... hopefully u understand me Wink
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 5:04 pm
IamNot

Yeah, but umm....when records sell? More royalties come in and thats
how writers get paid the BIG BUCKS. And that is what the woman
deserves, period....the end. If it weren't for the writer, that song
wouldn't of came about the way it did...and TATU would of never
reached us. And if Elena didn't do that song, it also would of never
of got translated to ENGLISH they way it did. Technically, it
was impossible to translate YSSU directly....but it's the same
song as ATTSS, same music ...basically.

Thats my opinion Wink
PostSun Sep 21, 2003 8:34 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: