:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
Lena Kiper is going to live on t.A.T.u.ís money As...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldAIsyl

Post subject: Lena Kiper is going to live on t.A.T.u.ís money As... Reply with quote
From tatysite :

15.01.2004 (23:24) Lena Kiper is going to live on t.A.T.u.ís money
As IMPR (the official representative of group Nichya on the internet) informs, the soap opera with its head title ďLena Kiper versus t.A.T.u.Ē has ended up. Lena Kiper has been trying to defend her rights to the songs Ya Soshla S Uma (All The Things She Said) and Nas Ne Dogonyat (Not Gonna Get Us), during past several months with the help of her lawyer Alexey Shulga. During this period of time, there were seven court sessions scheduled, where more than half of them were cancelled. The file was filled up with the documents where the authorship for the album 200 Po Vstrechnoy (200 km/h In A Wrong Lane) fare was mentioned. The sum specified was 2 250 000 USD. This very sum was meant to be received by the groupís management last spring to pass to the authors, in accordance with their contract clauses, but the management failed to do it. Having received the payment, the groupís management kept it.

The last court session took place on December, 29 2003 and ended up with nothing. That forced Kiperís lawyer to recommend an aggressive method and sue Neformat for the swindle, having based such claims on the received documents. Only after that, Lena Kiper was offered a significant sum of money, which is apparently waiting for Miss Kiper at a notary. All Miss Kiper needs to do now is to visit the notary, receive the money and drop her charges.

Thinking of the fact that her Nichya project has her only financial support, itís not that difficult to figure out that the probability of that Miss Kiper will drop the charges is near 100%.

IMPR presented scans of the documents, enclosed to the court file that can be viewed here and here.

Source: TatySite.net (by material of rol.ru)
PostThu Jan 15, 2004 7:00 pm
maru_ec

Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks a lot for the information, its really interesting! Thumb Rolleyes Thumb
PostThu Jan 15, 2004 7:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
denial

ldAIsyl ..thank you for the update..

Quote:

The sum specified was 2 250 000 USD. This very sum was meant to be received by the groupís management last spring to pass to the authors, in accordance with their contract clauses,

oh wow!! is that 2.25 million US$ ? ..maybe I should be a song writer! Lena Kiper will be Millionaire when she gets the money .. but it that amount all for her or also shared with other song writers in that that album.

Oh well .. yeah I got nothing else to do but counting people money ..LoL .. anyway .. I hope Lena Kiper get some from that song.. .. she did something.. it was her idea ...so she deserves the money too .. I think she is a good song writer.. and her group Nichya does have a good songs .. its about idea .. good ideas are expensive..

oh and yeah .. she is cute..
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 1:33 am
elf

Post subject: Re: Lena Kiper is going to live on t.A.T.u.ís money As... Reply with quote
Hehe, the translator must be a Nichya's fan Smile S(he) omitted the phrases that I find the most interesting. Here is my translation of the article, which I did independently not realizing it was being done by tatysite:

Nichya will live on Tatu's money

January 15, 2004

According to IMPR, the official "Nichya" online representative, the soap opera called "LENA KIPER vs. TATU" is now over. For the past several months, Elena Kiper has been defending her rights to participation in the success of hit songs "Ya Soshla S Uma" and "Nas Ne Dagonyat" with a help of her lawyer, Alexey Shul'ga. While doing this, she did not forget to mention that she was actually in charge of her own project with a message-carrying name "Nichya" (Nobody's)

During this period of time, 7 court proceedings have taken place, the greater half of which were postponed. A set of documents that mentioned the sum of money to be awarded to the authors of "200 km/h in the wrong lane" was thrown into the case. This sum amounted to $2,250,000. That is how much money Tatu's management was supposed to receive and redistribute among the authors last spring, as stated in the agreements. Yet, according to the prosecutors, having received the authorís money, the managers kept it for themselves and did not distribute it.

The last proceeding took place on December 29, 2003 and yet another stage of the battle ended up with nothing. Frustrated, Alexey Shul'ga recommended Elena to take a more aggressive approach. In front of witnesses in the court building, he asked her to take the documents to the Office of Public Prosecutor and to charge the management on the account of fraud. Only after that, was Elena offered a large sum of money as her part of the author reward. The settlement is already awaiting Kiper at a certain notary and all she needs to do to receive it is to drop the charges.

Taking into account the fact that Kiper is the only sponsor of her not-so-well-known project Nichya, the chances of her dropping the charges are approaching 100%.

IMPR presented us with the scans of the documents, which you can see here and here.

sourse: http://www.rol.ru/news/art/music/04/01/15_009.htm
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 1:43 am
denial

Thank you for the translation Elf ... oh well.. LoL

How about the scans .. what the scans document said?
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 2:07 am
elf

denial wrote:
Thank you for the translation Elf ... oh well.. LoL

How about the scans .. what the scans document said?

It's all formal "contract" kind of language, which is impossible to read or understand, but the first scan does mention that $2,250,000 are to be payed 14 days after certain contract is signed in relation to the first album, or later after a certain documentation is completed.
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 2:14 am
tatufever

oh, funny er... Hmmm laugh
will that affect tatu's financial base?
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 3:16 am
iddqd

Post subject: Re: Lena Kiper is going to live on t.A.T.u.ís money As... Reply with quote
elf wrote:
S(he) omitted the phrases that I find the most interesting.

Thanks for PR the project Nichya. Thumb It is very interesting. LOL LOL LOL
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 6:31 am
Troika

Good for Her.

Tatu's manegment got what they deserved.

And Kipper isn't living on Tatu's money its money that is rightly Hers.
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 11:00 am
nike75

Hm, I would not consider this a victory for Kiper, because she actually could have gotten this money in May, without initiating unnecessary legal action regarding the rights of YSSU and NND.

Take a look:

http://www.tatu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=171231&highlight=kiper#171231

Here is the important passage:

Quote:
May, 20 Kiper has sent in 'Neformat' the notice on cancellation of the contract. 'Literally next day on Elena's account the significant sum has come, but I have recommended her to not get it, - have told Shul'ga. - Time we leave the contract, means, we do not apply for this money'.

It was nothing more than a PR-Stunt, I think - but it didn't worked, it seems.

Nike
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 11:22 am
ihavetatusleeves

tatufever wrote:

It may mean less money for the group to spend on lavish hotels and parties and to waste on cancelled tours.

2.25 million is a helluva lot of money to offer songwriters. Sounds like a carrot in front of the donkey to me. The songwriters thought they had a goldmine when it was really a trick; they never got their money, did they, and Tatu is the most successful Russian group in the world, is singing their songs and collecting their royalties.

Kiper and the other songwriters deserve to get the money they're owed. Tatu's two best songs are their intellectual property to begin with and they were promised money that they never rec'd. Kiper is going through a lot of legal expense in this situation. Not paying the writers according to the contract is breach of contract and fraud on the part of Tatu's management. I wonder how much her settlement is. I'm sure it's significantly less than what she's asking for, but that's how it is with settlements - you ask for an exorbitant amount in damages knowing darn well the amount you actually receive won't come close - but if you ask big, you settle big. Good luck, Elena.
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 11:38 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bpro

Post subject: Don't forget Lena Reply with quote
Since she is the author of Tatu's two most commercially successful songs, I would suggest that Ivan kiss and makeup. Secondly, I would bring her in to the group and ask her to pen two more songs for the next album. My guess is that without Lena, Tatu would not have succeeded. Kind of like, Bernie Taupan and Elton John. Without Bernie, we would have never heard of Elton. Kiss and make up, we need her!
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 11:42 am
manca

Yeah That
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 3:26 pm
elf

tatufever wrote:

Haha, I don't think so Hmmm laugh First of all this money was ment for her but from the article it appears she will not even get her share. Her share is probably not that large either, since there were a lot of other songwriters who took part in making the Album. Furthermore, she was only offered a settlement, which (judging from numerous other cases) is about 25% of what she would get if she went on with trial and proved t.A.T.u.'s management wrong, which is not that easy. In the end she probably got about $100,000 - $200,000 out of that $2,250,000.
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 4:18 pm
Nightblue

Good that there probably has come an end to this 'soap opera', indeed. I don't have any knowledge about the details of the conflict that has turned into this legal battle, so I'm not going to say here that t.A.T.u.'s management is right or that Elena Kiper is right. With conflicts in general I take the stance that all opponents are to blame for some part, and that's what I do with this particular conflict too. Now that a settlement of this conflict seems to be the most probable outcome, this means that both t.A.T.u.'s management and Elena Kiper will have do to some concessions, i.e. take their part of the blame, and will see some benefits come their way.

I will welcome an outcome in which t.A.T.u. can continue to perform "Ya Soshla S Uma" and "Nas Ne Dogonyat" (and "All The Things She Said" and "Not Gonna get Us"), and continue to release these songs on their records, and Elena Kiper will receive her fair financial share for co-authorship of these songs. This money will help her to continue her Nichya project. I think she is a talented songwriter, and is creating good songs in her Nichya project as well. I wish her good luck and success, and no battles with t.A.T.u. anymore in the future. The world should be big enough for both of them.
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 6:41 pm
manca

Sorry,but who is Lena Kiper?! Grin
PostSat Jan 17, 2004 12:25 pm
k1n3t1k

manca wrote:

Er...I hope you're only joking. :p

As for Kiper's settlement, I think $2.25 million USD is quite a large, too large in fact, sum for a mere 'song writer'. However, I will admit that YSSU and NND are great songs, worth every penny, and probably the best material that has crossed my ears in a long time. If I were tATu's management, I'd pay the amount that was due by contract originally and 10% more for her 'troubles' and expenses she's invested into this lawsuit.

I totally respect paying original artists' for their work. If I truely like and enjoy the music, I will buy the CD, though, I must really enjoy all the tracks. However, until tATu, it's been forever that I bought a real audio CD. Why? I'm not going to pay $12.99 USD for just one song that I enjoy nor $5.99 for a single. That's just lame.

Got iTunes music store? Tongue
"Halo 2 is a lot like Halo, only it's Halo on fire, going 130 miles per hour through a hospital zone, being chased by helicopters and ninjas," explained Jason Jones, head of Bungie Studios. "And the ninjas are all on fire, too."
PostSat Jan 17, 2004 12:54 pm
manca

TNX :blush:
PostSat Jan 17, 2004 1:39 pm
alerg

k1n3t1k wrote:
manca wrote:

Er...I hope you're only joking. :p

As for Kiper's settlement, I think $2.25 million USD is quite a large, too large in fact, sum for a mere 'song writer'. However, I will admit that YSSU and NND are great songs, worth every penny, and probably the best material that has crossed my ears in a long time. If I were tATu's management, I'd pay the amount that was due by contract originally and 10% more for her 'troubles' and expenses she's invested into this lawsuit.

I totally respect paying original artists' for their work. If I truely like and enjoy the music, I will buy the CD, though, I must really enjoy all the tracks. However, until tATu, it's been forever that I bought a real audio CD. Why? I'm not going to pay $12.99 USD for just one song that I enjoy nor $5.99 for a single. That's just lame.

Thats a great speach! As for me, I have luxuury to buy some stuff from Russia.
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 3:04 am
Rob

Well, I hope with this the whole case is settled ... finally. Rolleyes
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 6:46 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
malchikgej04

I am very glad that Lena Kiper is getting some sort of settlement out of all this. She is very talented and deserves every cent she was promised. I mean, you can't deny her talent in writing the two biggest songs for t.A.T.u. and coincidentally thw two biggest Russian songs ever released in the Western world. Even before I realized who miss Kiper was I knew that whoever the song writer was desreved enormous credit.
Even her newer songs that she has recorded with Nichya are excellent, they all ahve the same level of attention and musicality to them. All in all I think this money is well deserved and I wish that she could go back and work with t.A.T.u. but I know her and Ivan have issues.
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 12:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elf

Nightblue wrote:
Just to avoid misunderstanding, wasn't the amount of money to be paid to all authors of t.A.T.u.'s songs as a whole specified at the sum of $2.250.000? At least, that's what I understand from reading this thread:
http://www.tatu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9954
With such a grand total, I can imagine that Elena Kiper's share will amount to some hundred thousands of US dollars.

Her share is somewhere between $500,000 and $800,000 considering that there were 5-6 authors of the album. However she was offered a settlement in order not to go on with the case and not recieve her full share. A settlement is traditionally 25% of the potential profit. Therefore we get an estimate of $125,000 to $200,000.
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 5:02 pm
Thoralin

Why do threads get locked when I want to post in them ?
[UPDATE] t.A.T.u. Reality Show

Nightblue wrote:
Just to avoid misunderstanding, wasn't the amount of money to be paid to all authors of t.A.T.u.'s songs as a whole specified at the sum of $2.250.000? At least, that's what I understand from reading this thread:
http://www.tatu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9954
With such a grand total, I can imagine that Elena Kiper's share will amount to some hundred thousands of US dollars.

Well, Elf came to the figure of around $150k this way :
(see above)
I donít understand though why people agree to a settlement where they get only a quarter of what they are entitled. Perhaps the small fish donít want all the hassle, but when there are $500k you make some effort.

@ katbeidar & Elf :
You guys missed an opportunity. In a new environment it is a lot easier to have a fresh start and to take that with you when you go back to tatysite. Maybe you can give it another try in another thread. The first one to praise the other wins. :D

Is there no one who can give an clear account of what that suspension is all about ? I think the t.A.T.u. PR department should do their job for a change. We rely on tabloids more than anything else to get our information. Even if we are told the truth we still donít know it.

Nunzilla wrote:
As for posting in cyrillic, please don't unless you'd like to post a translation of what you said...unless you're trying to mysterious/secretive of your posts. This is tatu.us, not tatu.ru and the native language is English.

Yeah That
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 5:40 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
g.R.E.g

malchikgej04 wrote:
I am very glad that Lena Kiper is getting some sort of settlement out of all this. She is very talented and deserves every cent she was promised. I mean, you can't deny her talent in writing the two biggest songs for t.A.T.u. and coincidentally thw two biggest Russian songs ever released in the Western world. Even before I realized who miss Kiper was I knew that whoever the song writer was desreved enormous credit.
Even her newer songs that she has recorded with Nichya are excellent, they all ahve the same level of attention and musicality to them. All in all I think this money is well deserved and I wish that she could go back and work with t.A.T.u. but I know her and Ivan have issues.

yes. Those two songs have been their biggets hits. And i love Nich'ya. And Ivan is a dirrty perve anyway. Sexy
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 10:56 am
Alastair

k1n3t1k wrote:

Got Kazaa?
iTunes is shit...well no it rocks for syncing but the store is fucking gay, why pay for something you can get for totally free through a different program?
If you want to support the artist (paying that $1 or so) buy the cd. lol

And who is Elena Kipper....and no im not joking..ive heard things but can someone clear it up Hmmm laugh
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 4:44 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Rob

Mansonite wrote:
Got Kazaa?
iTunes is shit...well no it rocks for syncing but the store is fucking gay, why pay for something you can get for totally free through a different program?
If you want to support the artist (paying that $1 or so) buy the cd. lol

And who is Elena Kipper....and no im not joking..ive heard things but can someone clear it up Hmmm laugh

Hm, K ...... isn't legal, I think there are rules for posting about p2p on this board.

Elena Kiper was part of the project in the beginning of tATu.
Later she left for unknown reasons, founded her own project called "Nichya" together with her new business-partner Oleg. She isn't very succesfull and was mostly in the headlines for sueing tATu and such.
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 8:05 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
malchikgej04

"Nichya" actually was successful when it was first released and they are currently releasing an album. her material is good, a lot of Russian t.A.T.u. fans just don't like her because she split from t.A.T.u. and are jealous (though they'd never admit it) she has a lot of talent and helped get t.A.T.u. where they are.
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 2:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob

She is talented, no question about that (even though without Oleg the songs would sound better), but her constant "firing" against tATu didn't make her look good.
PostFri Feb 27, 2004 3:18 pm
Nightblue

I have resurfaced this old topic, as it seems to me the best place to post some more news about the lawsuit that Elena Kiper had against Neformat.

Quote:
09.06.2004 (04:44) Elena Kiper won in court the rights on Tatu songs
Former coproducer of group Tatu Elena Kiper has won a long legal dispute against company Neformat. Over a year ago, Elena Kiper, dissatisfied with the way her royalties from the sales of millions of Tatu albums were paid, submitted a claim to obtain the termination of the contract that transfers her copyrights to Neformat. On 7 June, the court has ruled a decision in favor of Elena Kiper. The judgment says: "In the name of the Russian Federation, 7 June 2004, the Timiryazevsky regional court of Moscow under the authority of judge Golubev and secretary Shlyapnikov, after considering in open judicial session the case regarding the claim of Keeper Elena Vladimirovna to obtain the cancellation of the contract of transfer of copyrights and the payment of a compensation for the infringement of those copyrights from the company Neformat, the court, according to articles 194, 199, and 235 of State Customs Committees of the Russian Federation, decides:
The termination of the contract of the transfer of copyrights of the products "Ya Soshla S Uma" and "Nas Ne Dagoniat" in date of 6 June 2002 between the company Neformat and Keeper Elena Vladimirovna; the condemnation of the company Neformat for the infringement of those copyrights to pay the sum of 500.000 roubles (14,000 euros) to Keeper Elena Vladimirovna; the payment of court expenses in the amount of 7,500 roubles (200 euros) by the company Neformat. This decision can be appealed in Moscow City Court. In a conversation with the correspondent of InterMedia, Ms Keeper said that this judgment is an unprecedented break in the field of copyright. Now company Universal and its subsidiaries will have to receive Elena Kiper's authorization to publish Tatu songs and pay royalties to her.

Source: TatySite.net (by materials of InterMedia)
Translated by haku for TatySite.net

Thanks for your translation, haku! :thumbsup:

Thoralin has already posted some news about this in the "Lena Kiper Offers Managment Deal!!" thread:
http://www.tatu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?p=327659#327659
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 7:34 am
haku

And another one.

Quote:
Tatu is coming back

For the last 6 months the group Tatu has been going through a succession of ordeals. The second album which should have been ready on 14 March was not released. The reality show "Tatu in Podnebesnaya" turned out to be a complete failure, which caused dissension within the group. The girls refused to continue working with their producer Ivan Shapovalov and the future of the duo looked rather uncertain.

One more news that concerns directly the group Tatu has recently appeared. Elena Kiper, former producer of the duo and author of the hits "Nas Ne Dagoniat" and "Ya Soshla S Uma", has managed to seize the rights on these songs from the company Neformat. The goal of Elena Kiper was never to deprive the Tatugirls of the hits that brought them world fame though: "You won't hear from me that i have declared war to Tatu or something like that. Yulia Volkova and Lena Katina who are innocent bystanders in this legal dispute won't be affected by this. I like this project a lot, it was my first experience in show business, i invested myself totally in it, and i'm extremely glad that something i created is still wanted all over the world. This project is not only the best in Russian show business, but also in the world. I intend to win this trial to transfer the material to a large record company, to write with their support a song for Madonna and sing it with her as a duo, and use the money to shoot a film for which i hope to receive an Oscar."

Meanwhile, the singers of the group Tatu, Lena Katina and Yulia Volkova, are remaining quite optimistic. They intend to work on their second album which should be recorded in London later this year. It's planned for a release in the autumn/winter period. Apparently Yulia Volkova's pregnancy should not hinder the process.

It's still unclear who will become the producer of Tatu's second album. According to the newspaper "Izvestia", Elena Kiper has already been offered to produce Tatu's second album. Elena Kiper has not given her final answer yet.

Source: dni.ru
Translated by haku for TatySite.net
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 9:42 am
Thoralin

Thanks for posting that aricle Nightblue and thanks a lot for posting and translating articles haku :bigups:

Nightblue wrote:
Now company Universal and its subsidiaries will have to receive Elena Kiper's authorization to publish Tatu songs and pay royalties to her.

I assume that?s only for the songs YSSU and NNDGY.

Haku wrote:
Kiper : ?This project is not only the best in Russian show business, but also in the world. I intend to win this trial to transfer the material to a large record company, to write with their support a song for Madonna and sing it with her as a duo, and use the money to shoot a film for which i hope to receive an Oscar."

Did they make that up or are they now publishing Elena Kiper?s dreams ?

Haku wrote:
Meanwhile, the singers of the group Tatu, Lena Katina and Yulia Volkova, are remaining quite optimistic. They intend to work on their second album which should be recorded in London later this year.

Later this year. Wonderful. When will they finally get anything done ? What have they been doing since the end of the reality show.
If they keep feed us only promises, we?ll starve.
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: