:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
The Other Side(12/04 update)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parrish122

Post subject: The Other Side(12/04 update) Reply with quote
Yulia pulled her hat down low, shading her eyes. She glanced around for the redhead, who had always stood out because of her beauty. But now she should be even easier to see, despite the streets being filled with people celebrating. Since the war and the plague, people like them were few and far between.
"Miss?"
Yulia glanced down, saw a young girl holding a fistfull of small flags in her hand, staring intently at Yulia's face. For the first time in a long while Yulia had an impulse to hide the scar on her right cheek.
"Would you like a flag, Miss? It's Unification day!"
Yulia smiled, wanting to laugh at herself. The child was too young to care about her scar or any of the other ways they were different. What had gotten her attention was that Yulia was the only one in sight who didn't look happy on this holiday.
"I'll take one, if you promise to try and always remember something." Yulia waited for the girl to nod, then whispered, "The good guys don't always win."

Last edited by Parrish122 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 10 times in total
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 11:24 pm
Lynnie

Post subject: Reply with quote
What a teaser!!! More please? By the way, have I mentioned how I'm happy your back?
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 11:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jan1551

Well, I am officially intrigued! So happy to see you writing another story!! Thumb

r.: it's pure love, you dumb slut <3

Hilarious Banner July 30th 2009 - November 5th 2009. R.I.P.
PostMon Apr 20, 2009 11:47 pm
Volkster

I think the little girl shouldn't learn from such ayoung age that the good guys don't always win. Sadly, it's true but a child should be allowed to dream for a little while longer! Half Frown In any case, I'm always ecstatic to see a new story from you! Hug

PS. I already have a few symbolisms for Yulia's scar in my mind! Wink

"There's love, there's hope ... for some. Hope that you'll find something worthy, that your life will lead you to some joy, that after everything ... you can still be surprised. Is that enough to live on?"
PostTue Apr 21, 2009 2:13 am
*Mimi*

You got me curious on how this story is going to go. Can't wait to read more. Grin

*Mimi* and JuliaLenaFan: WE ARE TWO CRAZY TATU FANS WHO LOVE EACH OTHER!!! Love Wacko

To JuliaLenaFan: Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control. Love Kiss
PostTue Apr 21, 2009 10:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Parrish122

LTP--Thank you. I'm glad you like the teaser. It will be at least a few days before I get back to this because I have to finish the next chapter to TST (half-way done) & I also just had a root canal. Oy.
Jan--Thanks! I'm glad I caught your interest.
Volkster-Thank you. Yeah, that is a bit of harsh reality. But you should soon understand Yulia's reasons.
Mimi--Thanks. I hope to have more done soon.
PostWed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm
Parrish122

Lena looked around coolly, ignoring all the stares. She was quite used to being the object of attention. There was only one set of eyes she hoped to find looking back at her.

Then, just when she was about to become concerned, she spotted Yulia and almost smiled.

Yulia did smile, and hurried on over to her. Lena saw the flag tucked into her front shirt pocket and smirked. Yulia saw her expression and shrugged.

"All the supplies loaded up?" Yulia asked as they began making their way back to the docks.

"Yes Captain." Lena advised. "The rest of the crew have boarded."

Yulia caught something in Lena's tone and raised an eyebrow.

"They had to carry Josh in." Lena admitted. "He's dead drunk."

Yulia sighed, then nodded. "Normally I'd give him a hard time. But today..."

"Is Unification day." Lena finished for her tonelessly.

"Exactly."

"Bluesy said that at the next stop we'll have some passengers to ferry." Lena remarked, hoping to change the subject.

Yulia gave her an amused glance. "Friends of hers?"

"So she says."

"Should be an interesting cruise then."

"They'll pay well." Lena pointed out.

"True." Yulia said, a broad smile on her face as she spotted her ship.

She was home.

"So?" Lena asked, nodding at the flag. "Change sides?"

"Not hardly." Yulia responded, plucking the flag from her pocket. "A little girl was handing them out. Was upset I wasn't happy on this glorious holiday."

"So rather than cause a scene--plus you have a soft spot for kids--you accepted one." Lena said, nodding. "Now things seem right in the universe."

"Maybe not right...just explained." Yulia replied softly. Lena nodded in agreement.

"Cap'n, we're ready to head out." Dex called out.

"Very well." Yulia looked to Lena. "Take the helm for a bit. I'd like to go up top."

"All right, Captain." Lena replied, and Yulia knew she understood.

Once they were a good distance from land, Yulia looked down at the flag she held in her hand.

It wasn't her flag.

She dropped it into the water she loved, and smiled sadly as it drifted out of sight.

"It's hell being on the losing side." She muttered to herself, staring off into the distance.

The sun was starting to set.

Unification day was nearly over.
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 2:27 pm
albi

Beautifully written. There's such a feeling to this which is so real, you know? Very fitting for the current situation and state of mind of the world.

Parrish, you write wonderfully, and never fail to have such creative ideas which sometimes I'm sure only a mind like yours can imagine, and only a talent such as yours can depict. You made me want to be a better writer, and you still do. I'm happy you still post here Smile
PostFri Apr 24, 2009 3:05 pm
Jan1551

Wow this is fabulous! But of course I expected it to be Smile . It does somehow feel a bit relateable to the world at the present. I look forward to where you take this! The possibilities seem endless.

Thumb Thumb

PostSat Apr 25, 2009 3:08 pm
theone

love this story i wonder where there going!

Meine machte leiblingsKusine

I still live with this everyday, my sister Laura is part mongolian rapist-Sarah Silverman
PostSun Apr 26, 2009 8:20 am
belochka07

I've been a fan of yours for a while now, so it's definitely a treat to read something new. I love how easy the dialogue seems to blend into the story, and the traits you've given the characters seem to fit them very well. I'm wondering if this story is about pirates, which would be awesome. Either way, you've said that Lena and Yulia are on the losing side. I guess I'll just have to keep on reading to find out.

Please continue. :] I love it so far.
PostSun Apr 26, 2009 2:47 pm
Parrish122

Albi! So nice to see feedback from you! And what kind feedback it is, thank you. I really appriciate how you always put thought into anything you post, be it feedback or one of your stories.

And I look forward to reading more of your stuff. You've always been a damn good writer.

Jan--Thank you. I'm glad that you also saw how this story relates to real-world events. I'm hoping it will prove to make people think as well as feel. Smile

theone--Thanks! The only way to find out is to keep tuning in!

belochka--Thank you! In particular for giving me feedback on something specific--dialogue. I love getting praise (who doesn't) but being told what works, and what doesn't, is how we writers get better. So when people say that the dialogue feels natural, or that they can relate to the events of the story because of how the world is now, it gives me solid ground to stand on.

To everyone--sorry this took so long to update, but I did an insane amount of research for this story (long time readers will be familiar with this trait with me). I may well make mistakes, but I at least *try* to get the facts right to the best of my abilities. I figure if my name is going to be on the story, I don't want to look foolish. So doing this will slow down how often I can update, but I hope it will improve the quality of the updates. I believe so, anyway.

I bring this up in the hopes that other writers here will start to do some research before posting. You certainly don't have to go to the lengths I do, but if you know that you are writing on a subject you know very little on, it will do you a world of good to get some background info. I'll often check out books on whatever subject I need more info on. If you don't want to go that far, even a few moments with google will help you out a lot. If you *do* go the internet route, I suggest checking at least 2 different sites for info. After all, anyone can start up a website and write whatever they want. There's a lot of great info online, but you've got to know how to sift through it.

If you personally hate my writing, and therefore think research doesn't help, then I invite you to check out Albi's work. Or Blackcat's. Or Dare2dream's. Or Ivy's. They all obviously did their homework before writing, and it makes their worlds that much more real. (I'm sure that there are others that fit in this category, but these are the writers that came to mind).

Will post the next chapter as soon as I have it typed up. Enjoy!
PostFri May 01, 2009 5:04 pm
Jan1551

Well, it's quality versus quantity and quality wins in my book everytime. I would rather read a story that doesn't get updated that often but is well done verse a story that is updated all the time but is sloppy. Research and planning really does make all the difference I think. Great examples of writers too by the way. All their stories are consistently fabulous.

I look forward to your next update, whenever it is ready Smile

PostFri May 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Parrish122

Yulia closed her eyes and smiled a little, trying to let the day slip away from her.

It was difficult. The memories made it so.

She turned her face up towards the sun, relishing the last rays of light as they warmed her. She inhaled deeply, the smell of the river filling her. The light smile stayed on her lips a few moments longer as she focused on the gentle rocking of her ship as it made it's way downstream.

Then she sighed, opened her eyes, and began to deal with reality again.

What do you do before a mission? Yulia heard her Training Instructor, Tech Sergeant Duncan, mutter in her mind. He'd actually been part of the Air Force, but by the time Yulia went through basic they were very short on trained personnel. So if you could do a job, it didn't really matter what service you'd signed on with.

"Make sure you have all your men, make sure your men have their gear, make sure they know the mission in case they have to take over." Yulia said quietly.

And did you do that, Volkova? He asked, a hint of disappointment in his growl.

"No sir." She murmured. She knew perfectly well that Lena had done so, but she didn't argue the point. And not just because he wouldn't accept the excuse. Least of all because he wasn't really there.

She didn't talk back because he was right. Yes, Lena could be trusted to do the job.

But she was Captain. It was her responsibility.

The mission, at least, they all knew. It was a simple run. Taking food and medical supplies to another town. So she decided to start with checking the gear. First she inspected all the PFDs (personal floatation devices) for holes, rips, and tears. Then she made sure that the straps and seams were secure. There were more than enough for all onboard, and she'd gotten the type 1 PFD. More expensive, but by far the best. They were made to be effective in all waters, even rough seas, and would keep most unconscious wearers face up.

Then she inspected the other safety gear. Three class B and C fire extinguishers (for flamable liquids and electrical fires) were available when regs only required two. There were two bells, and seven whistles to be used to signal that the ship was in distress, should disaster happen. As well as multiple flares. Far more of all items than required by regs.

Yulia went into the hold to make sure the cargo was stowed away properly, and had to smile a little when she spotted Dex checking out the area. She knew instinctively that Lena had ordered him to do so.

"Private." She said conversationally. He'd served under her command in the war.

"Cap'n." He replied in a friendly enough tone. "Everything checks out."

"Good. Thanks Dex." She answered and moved on.

Bluesy she found in the galley, getting their dinner prepared.

"Hello Captain." She said, giving Yulia a cheerful smile. "I do so love being able to cook after having gone to port. Being able to use fresh fruits and veggies makes a big difference."

"And your cooking talent certainly helps morale." Yulia said. "I can't thank you often enough for that."

Bluesy's smile faltered just a bit before she added softly, "You letting me be part of the crew is a thank you every day, Captain. It's I that should be thanking you, not the other way around."

"We all gain from the agreement." Yulia said gruffly. "I have to finish looking over the ship. I'll see you at dinner."

"Yes Captain." Bluesy said, holding back her grin until Yulia had turned her back on her.

The Captain didn't fool her for a minute.

Bo-Qin Chang was, as usual, in the engine room.

"Everything seaworthy?" Yulia asked, knowing full well that he would have alerted her at once if there'd been a problem.

"Everything is fine, Captain." He said in his gentle voice. "I was just giving the engine a look over, as you say. I also checked to be sure that we had spare fuel filters, lightbulbs for the running lights, and hull plugs."

"Sheh-sheh." Yulia said. "Keep up the good work, Bo-Quin."

He nodded, and even gave her a faint smile.

But the sadness that had been born in his eyes in the early days of the war remained.

Yulia imagined it always would be.

Yulia was headed aft when she ran into Alec.

"Good evening, Reverend." She said, smirking.

He gave her a hard grin back. Technically he was clergy. He had managed to get ordained. On the ship's books he was listed as a spiritual advisor, because the occupying force had orders to not interfere with their religion.

They liked the fact that the country had been mostly Christian, because they considered it a religion for slaves.

Yulia could understand that outlook, since it did have verses telling slaves to obey their masters. Before the Civil war, the south had found these parts of the Bible useful too.

Yulia was sure that they were quite happy with the "turn the other cheek" message as well. Anything that told them not to be fought against was sure to be welcomed by the invaders.

But there are helpful loopholes in their attitude towards our "holy" man, Yulia thought.

As if he'd picked up on her thoughts, Alec used his most serene voice when he asked, "Can I assist you, Captain?"

"My soul is doing just fine." Yulia replied dryly. "And we don't seem to need your other services just now, thank God."

"Was that an order? To thank God?" He asked, grinning.

"Sure. Can't hurt." She answered.

"Bluesy just sent word that dinner is ready." He told her.

"I'll be right there. I just want to check on Josh."

"Um...I don't believe he's feeling well. Perhaps a slight case of the flu." He said.

Yulia grinned at him. "Oh belay that. I already know he's passed out. I won't give him a hard time, seeing as how it's Unification day. But I will let him know he'd best be on duty tomorrow."

"I...don't know if he's up for recieving the message just yet, Captain."

Yulia frowned. "Very well. But I'll just check myself."

Alec nodded. "Don't be too long, you don't want your food to get cold."

"Yes Reverend mother." Yulia replied, winking at him.

He rolled his eyes. "Great, you make me sound like a nun."

She chuckled. "I don't know how well that would work, with your foot-long beard and all."

"Borjemoi." Yulia muttered. Josh was passed out on his bunk. If he hadn't been snoring so loud, she might have wondered if he was dead. Someone had taken off his shoes, removed his belt, and thoughtfully placed a bucket beside him.

She shook her head and walked out again.

Author's notes--

1)Sheh-sheh--phonetic chinese for "Thank you"
2) Borjemoi--phonetic russian for "My God"
PostFri May 01, 2009 6:16 pm
Draven260

Hey Parrish,

A quality fic you have started here & I look forward to the journey that you have set us on Grin .

I will be waiting patiently for the next update Wink .

Big D

Also a Proud member of the Push Martina Around Group Devil

And A Proud Student Of The all mighty powerful Ish...otherwise known as the Overlord of the democraticaly republic llamacy of llamallamallamaland Blink

Important Notice Computer Assistance Centre Die Computer Just send a PM.
PostSat May 02, 2009 1:34 pm
Jan1551

I really like the setting of this, it feels fresh and unique to me. The instructor in her head was a great touch. Like he is always there to lead her in the right direction, keep her in line. Remind her of her duties . I feel the names you have given these characters are very fitting. A lot of stories I read around here just seem to have random names thrown in but you have matched the demeanor of the character with the name. Great story, more people should be commenting this.

Thumb

PostSat May 02, 2009 1:59 pm
Parrish122

Draven--(I like that name!). Thank you. I'm glad to have you on board. Smile
Jan--Yay! Someone noticed the names! Yes, some thought went into matching the names with the characters, so I'm quite pleased you picked up on that.

And you are right on target with why the instructor is in her head. The really great teachers (be they military, college, etc) really do stay with you. And as you can probably already guess, Tech Sergent Duncan made a lasting impression.
PostSat May 02, 2009 3:55 pm
Volkster

The fact that Yulia is so thorough with the necessities on the ship speaks volumes about what kind of Captain she is!!!

I know, I know Parrish, this is hardly a comment, but I will come back to give you some more!! Wink For now, I wanted you to know I'm still reading this!! Hug

And *thank you* for all the hours of research you put into your stories!!! Smile

"There's love, there's hope ... for some. Hope that you'll find something worthy, that your life will lead you to some joy, that after everything ... you can still be surprised. Is that enough to live on?"
PostSun May 03, 2009 3:17 pm
Parrish122

Volkster--As usual, you are quite insightful. The point of showing Yulia checking out everything in such detail was to show that she cares a great deal about her crew. Smile
PostSun May 03, 2009 4:44 pm
Parrish122

Yulia headed towards the dining area, smiling as the aroma hit her. As she entered the room, her smile became broader as she spotted Lena.

"Dex agreed to take the helm." Lena explained.

Yulia nodded and sat down at the table, everyone else doing the same a moment afterwards.

Bluesy came in from the galley, carrying a basket of rolls.

"Everything smells great." Yulia told her. The rest murmured agreement.

Bluesy gave them all a pleased grin. "Thanks. I try."

Yulia began eating her salad, noting that Bluesy had made all her favorites--spaghetti, fresh rolls, and a fruit salad for desert. In between bites she washed it all down with iced tea.

"So I understand we'll have guests on the next run." Yulia said, looking at Bluesy.

Bluesy nodded. "Yes. Five this time."

Yulia glanced at Alec.

"Won't be a problem. They are paying enough for us to pass on the necessary bribes." He told her.

"The usual contacts?"

"Yes. They've proved to be honest. They stay bought." He remarked, giving her a humorless grin.

"Thank you again, Captain." Bluesy added.

Yulia waved it off. "It's profitable."

"Of course." Bluesy said, amused.

"How's everything in the engine room?" Lena asked, sensing Yulia's embarassment.

"Everything is functional." Bo-Qin informed them. "Though it would be a good idea to replace some of the belts at next port. They'll last a while longer, but we may as well take care of it before it's a problem."

Yulia smiled, knowing she was fortunate to have Bo-Qin on board. Like her, he wanted to take care of things before they got out of hand. "Certainly. We'll add that to the resupply list."

She glanced over at Lena and remembered how lucky she was to have her as well. It seemed like they'd known each other forever.

Ever since basic training....

Yulia sighed from relief. Another training day over with. They'd just gotten back from a five mile hike. She was looking forward to a long shower.

So, apparently, was one of her squad members. Katina--Yulia didn't know her first name--was already half-undressed.

Yulia opened up her locker to get fresh clothes, when she heard a familiar voice.

It can't be, she thought. Male instructors aren't allowed in after five, and the door guard didn't announce that a gentleman was entering the dorm...

Yulia looked at the clock. It was three minutes to five.

"Shit!" Yulia exclaimed. Katina gave her a curious look. "It's Duncan!"

"It can't be..." Katina began, then froze as she also recognized his distinctive voice.

"Here!" Yulia said, throwing open the locker door. Katina wedged herself in as best she could, but there was no way it would shut, so Yulia leapt in front of Katina just as someone in their squad called the bay to attention. Yulia did the best she could while still covering Katina.

"Volkova....why are you standing like that?" Tech Sergent Duncan asked, puzzlement warring with amusement in his tone.

"Sir, Private Volkova reports as ordered!" Yulia replied, starting to enjoy herself. "Sir, I'm shielding Private Katina's naked body from your sight sir!"

Yulia struggled not to show any humor as Duncan turned beet red and about faced.

"Christ, Volkova!" Katina hissed in her ear. "I'm not naked."

Yulia just repressed a grin as Duncan launched into a long rant about not changing clothes in the bay area until after 1700 hours, then left to tear into the guard for not announcing him.

Once they heard the door slam shut, Yulia moved out of the way and let herself giggle.

Katina winced as she got out. "Not exactly comfortable in there."

"I bet not." Yulia said, still grinning. "But just think of how pissed he would have been if he'd seen you."

"True that." Katina said. She put out her hand, "I'm Lena."

"Yulia." She said as she shook Lena's hand.

"Somehow I think we're going to be friends." Lena said, cocking an eyebrow.

Lena glanced over at her as she sensed Yulia's gaze. She raised her eyebrow at her, which made Yulia chuckle.

"What is it, Captain?" Lena asked.

"I'll tell you later." Yulia promised, laughing quietly.

****Author's Note****

The whole TI walking into the dorm with someone half-dressed? True story. I was in Yulia's role, and got a rep within my Flight for being a smartass with my reply to the TI's question.

They loved it. Heh.

Last edited by Parrish122 on Thu May 21, 2009 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostSun May 03, 2009 5:25 pm
Draven260

Hey Parrish122,

Glad you like the name lol Smile .

Well that was one way of making a friend lol, I would've been totally embarrassed if I had been in Lena's position Wink .

Keep up the great work Thumb

Big D

And A Proud Student Of The all mighty powerful Ish...otherwise known as the Overlord of the democraticaly republic llamacy of llamallamallamaland Blink

PostMon May 04, 2009 4:33 am
Jan1551

How did I miss this?!?! *Gasps*

The bond between Lena and Yulia is very interesting in this fiction. They are clearly there for each other but in an apparently drier way then in most fic's. It is more rigid but no less caring, possibly more so actually. They still have their light hearted moments but it is more restricted. They are more controlled, which would make sense consider their career choices. HAHA that is funny (now) that you were in Yulia's position! As Big D said it's probably still better than Lena's.

Great stuff Thumb

PostSat May 09, 2009 7:07 pm
Volkster

I'm finally back and trying to catch up with everything!

I hope all is well with you!! Hug

PostTue May 19, 2009 12:05 pm
*Mimi*

How in the hell did I miss all these updates?! Confused

I love the story! Yulia as captain.... me like!! Grin

Can't wait for the next update! Grin

*Mimi* and JuliaLenaFan: WE ARE TWO CRAZY TATU FANS WHO LOVE EACH OTHER!!! Love Wacko

To JuliaLenaFan: Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control. Love Kiss
PostTue May 19, 2009 4:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Parrish122

Draven--Well, if I'm not mistaken, Draven was the last name of the main character in the movie "The Crow". It's been a while since I saw it, but I believe his name was Eric Draven. Was that where you got the name from?

And yeah, a bit awkward for Lena. Heh.

Jan--You completely get these characters. Smile They are definately more in control of their emotions than most, especially Lena.

And even at the time I found the situation funny, though I didn't dare show it then. The girl was about five foot nine, so she certainly didn't fit into my locker very well. And trying to stand at attention while attempting to spread out my body enough to cover her was...interesting. LOL.

Volkster--Cool. Glad you are back!

Mimi--Glad you like it. And the update came right before one of the times that the forum went down, so I'm sure it was easy to miss.
PostThu May 21, 2009 1:35 pm
Parrish122

"I'll take over the helm." Yulia informed Lena. "You took it for a while out of rotation for me. Go get some rest."

Lena nodded. "Will do, Captain. Thank you."

"Not a problem." She dropped her voice a little and added quietly, "It's been a hard day on all of us, and you made it easier on me. Thank you."

Lena gave her a small smile and replied, "Glad I could help."

Lena knocked on the hatch to Josh's quarters.

No answer.

She knocked again, harder.

Finally a response, though not clear enough for her to make out. She suspected various insults had been directed her way.

The hatch was opened, and Josh all but stood at attention when he saw it was her. She repressed a smile.

"I brought you a sandwich and something to drink." Lena said, holding out the plate with the sandwich on it and the large glass of water. "The Captain is going to expect you to be able to do your job tomorrow, and you'll be better able to do it if you take care of yourself now."

Josh blinked, and Lena could tell he was still a little drunk. "Um...thanks." She noticed that he had a small picture in a frame in one hand, that he tucked under his arm when he took the plate and glass from her.

"Might I come in?"

"Oh, sure." He said, stepping out of the way.

She walked in and went over to the small table he had in the corner, and sat in one of the chairs. He shut the hatch, then sat across from her, setting the picture down on the table. It was of his wife and two kids.

She took a bottle of aspirin out of her pocket and handed it to him. "Go ahead and take a couple of those, once you've got a little food in your stomach. And make sure you drink plenty of water tonight. The reason people get hangovers is because they get dehydrated."

"Thank you." He took a small bite from the sandwich, then several swallows of water. "Uh....how did I get back here? I don't remember."

"That would be because you were passed out drunk." Lena advised him. "Dex and Alec carried you. Bluesy helped as well."

"Oh." He said, clearly embarrassed. "I'll have to thank them."

"Yes, that would be wise."

"I'm sorry Ms Katina. It's just...." His eyes strayed over to the picture.

"I understand." Lena said quietly. "As does the Captain."

"The Captain knows?" Josh asked, wincing.

Lena nodded. "It's Unification day. It's difficult on everyone. Yet...none of the rest of us had to be drug back to the ship, possibly causing us to be noticed in a way we don't want."

"Yeah, I know." Josh said, at first finding it hard to meet her gaze. After a long moment, he looked up. "I won't let you down again."

"Good. Because we need you, Josh." Lena said firmly. "We need everyone on this ship, doing the best that they are able."

He nodded.

Softly, she added, "If they break you, they win."

Fury kindled behind his eyes, but Lena knew it wasn't directed at her. Slowly, he nodded again.

She got to her feet, sure now that he understood. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"You will." He agreed. "And Ms Katina? Thank you."
PostThu May 21, 2009 2:19 pm
Draven260

Parrish122 wrote:
Draven--Well, if I'm not mistaken, Draven was the last name of the main character in the movie "The Crow". It's been a while since I saw it, but I believe his name was Eric Draven. Was that where you got the name from?

And yeah, a bit awkward for Lena. Heh.

Hey Parrish122,

Yep thats where I got Draven from it was such a great movie Grin .

Cool update too, Lena seem's to be keeping things in order, as well as looking after the crew.

I hope you can update again soon Wink

Big D

PostThu May 21, 2009 2:46 pm
*Mimi*

Like how Lena cares about the crew. Smile

Great update! Thumb

PostThu May 21, 2009 9:06 pm
belochka07

Ho fuck. I had to catch up on so much of this. I'm sorry I missed as much as I did. But I am enjoying the story so far. :]

I have to say, one of my favorite parts about this story is its simplicity in regards to the relationship between Lena and Yulia. It's not all lovey-dovey like in most stories, where there are long, drawn out explanations of their love. I'm completely guilty of doing the same. I guess that's why I find it so refreshing to read a fic where the story focuses more on its plot and mission, than the relation between the characters. Sure, we get information about their lives, but it's relatively scarce, so we keep guessing on what's really going on.

Anyway, I'm glad I caught up with this. Please update again soon! Thumb
PostFri May 22, 2009 4:10 pm
Parrish122

Once Lena had done a quick look-over of the ship from stem to stern, she went to the galley to get some coffee for the Captain. She knew that by now Yulia would be craving the hot, bitter liquid.

Sure enough, when she arrived at the helm, Yulia flashed her a pleased grin.

"Thank you, Lena." Yulia said. "You sure read my mind."

"You are a creature of habit." Lena informed her. "You generally want coffee a couple of hours after dinner."

"Hm....so my behavior is easy to predict?" Yulia asked, sipping at her coffee. She did not make any obnoxious slurping noises as many coffee drinkers did, something that Lena was eternally grateful for.

"Only sometimes." Lena advised.

Yulia grinned at her. Then Dex, who'd been on lookout duty, paged her over the intercom.

"Yes?" Yulia asked.

"We've got some trouble, Cap'n." He informed her. "Alliance patrol ship coming up on our port side. They're moving with a purpose, so I suspect they'll be wanting to board."

Lena swore in russian as Yulia muttered, "Jena dao mei. All right, make a general call on the intercom, letting everyone know we'll be having company."

Just then a call came in over channel 22a--the official government channel, ordering them to turn off the engines and prepare to be boarded. Through gritted teeth, Yulia acknowledged the order.

"What do they want?" Lena wondered aloud once Yulia had cut the connection. "We aren't even hauling anything illegal this time."

"To harass us, probably." Yulia replied, sighing. She hoped that her crew would manage to restrain themselves and not show their true feelings to the alliance.

Herself most of all.

"Welcome aboard." Yulia said as the first officer of the alliance ship got onto the ship, followed by several crew members. "I'm Yulia Volkova, Captain of the Nomad."

"Check everything." He informed one of them, ignoring Yulia completely.

Yulia sensed rather than saw Lena tense up. She couldn't blame her. She was tempted to haul off and smack some manners into the officer herself.

But that would endanger her ship and crew, so she held on to the shreds of her temper.

"Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I'd hate to waste your time." Yulia said. In truth, it was her time she didn't want wasted. But she, of course, couldn't say that.

"Just a routine inspection." He said, punctuating his sentence with a sniff. "We just want to make sure all ships have everything in order."

Indeed, it seemed they checked everything. From making sure they had the ship properly registered, to ensuring that the identification numbers on the forward half of the ship were on both sides, and at least three inches in height. Yulia even saw a crew member measure it with a ruler.

Eventually they had to admit that there was nothing on the ship that was breaking any laws. Yulia was grateful that they were deciding to leave. She could feel that her crew was agitated. Having alliance soldiers on the ship, particularly on Unification day, was sure to stir them up like a bunch of killer bees.

But, somewhat to Yulia's surprise, they left the ship without incident. When they were pulling away, Yulia looked back at her crew.

They were all fighting fury. Even Bluesy, the calmest and least confrontational of them all, looked like she'd gleefully hit a member of the alliance with her frying pan.

"All right people, back to your duties." Yulia said. "They did that mostly to harass us. Though I'm sure they'd have been more than happy to get to arrest us and impound the Nomad." Yulia swallowed hard at the thought of losing her ship.

"I wish the bastards would just leave us alone." Josh muttered.

"Don't we all." Lena agreed. "But we have to work with reality, not what we wish would come true."

They all nodded at that. After a moment, they headed off to their stations if they were on duty, to their cabins if they were not.

However, Lena stayed behind.

"At least they usually leave us be." Yulia said quietly. "I should've expected that they'd be looking for reasons to flex their muscles on Unification day."

"Check your watch." Lena informed her.

Puzzled, Yulia did so. As she looked, the second hand swept on. About the moment the time had registered on her, it changed from 11:59 pm to 12:00am.

Lena smiled a little. "We survived another Unification day."

***Author's Note*****
Jena dao mei--phonetic Chinese for "Just our luck".
PostMon Oct 05, 2009 9:09 am
Draven260

been a while but great update Parrish Thumb

I really don't know how you have so many fics going at once I'd get confused if it was me lol

PostMon Oct 05, 2009 12:33 pm
blackstormdragon

*catches up* A story on a ship how cool Grin

Ah, you've got another great fic, got me hooked already.
Can't wait for more Thumb

Fear not the dragon. Fear only the storm it brings, for it will destroy you.

"There is only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

"...the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world."
PostMon Oct 05, 2009 1:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
paintedfrog

this sounds like the makings of a great, very interesting story, i really hope you go on with it. i keep wondering what lena and yulia are to each other, like if they just are captian and second in command or if they are more yet...

great updates

You dont know. You can never be sure. But you take the plunge anyway. Sure if for people who dont love enough.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" Audrey Hepburn

PostTue Oct 06, 2009 1:26 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Parrish122

At the end of her shift, Yulia practically went back to her bunk asleep. For most of the walk, she did have her eyes closed, thanks to Lena holding onto her arm and guiding her.

"We're at the hatch." Lena informed her quietly. Yulia opened one eye half-way, saw it was so, and opened the hatch.

"Did I remember to tell Dex to keep a special eye out for more alliance patrols?" Yulia murmured as she flopped down on the bed.

"You did. Twice, in fact." Lena informed her as she began helping Yulia take off her shoes.

"Good." Yulia said.

"Lie down." Lena said. "It's been a long day."

"For you too." Yulia said, but she did as Lena said.

"I'm off duty in another few hours." Lena said. "I'll sleep then."

Yulia mumbled something Lena couldn't make out. Lena pulled the covers up to Yulia's chin and looked down at her with a hint of a smile on her lips.

As Yulia's breathing grew deeper and more even, Lena whispered, "Captain?"

No reply.

Lena reached down and gently brushed Yulia's bangs back, then ran her fingertips down her cheek, tracing the scar she'd had since the war.

"Goodnight, Yulia." Lena said softly, walking out and closing the hatch as quietly as she could.
PostMon Nov 02, 2009 6:12 pm
Draven260

Awww how sweet Smile but I wonder how Yulia got that scar?

Cool update Parrish Thumb

PostTue Nov 03, 2009 4:19 pm
Parrish122

As the alarm went off the next day, Yulia fought the impulse to take her clock and chuck it overboard. Instead, she turned it off and got out of bed. As had been her habit every day since basic training, she promptly began to make her bunk up--paying special attention to the hospital corners.

The mornings after I'd had a bunk to sleep in. Yulia amended silently to herself. The war made me appriciate having something other than the ground to sleep on.

Yulia flattened the pillow and folded the overhang of the pillowcase underneath it to give it a uniform look. Then she took a moment to walk around her bunk, checking for wrinkles.

Because details were everything.

Paying attention to details can sometimes determine if you live or die.

If you win, or lose.

Yulia smiled as she entered the dining area. "You're spoiling me, Bluesy. With fixing all my favorite foods lately." She said as she sat down at the table.

Bluesy grinned. "Glad to hear it, Captain."

Lena came in just as Josh was sitting down. Yulia knew the rest would have their breakfast brought to their work stations by Bluesy.

"Sorry I'm late, Captain. I got caught up checking a couple of things." Lena said.

Yulia studied her a moment, wondering what was going on. Lena was rarely-if ever--late. But the gaze Lena gave her was untroubled, so Yulia decided whatever it was, was well in hand. So she nodded and turned her attention to the food.

Coffee, bacon, eggs and toast. Bluesy really was making an effort to make her favorites.

Why is that? Yulia wondered, chewing steadily. Finally she decided that it was probably a combination of thanking her for agreeing to help out her friends, and to take her mind off of Unification day. Yulia mentally shrugged and turned to her first officer.

"Anything happen during the rest of your shift last night that I should know about?" She asked.

Lena shook her head, as Yulia had been sure she'd do. If there had been any problems, Lena would have mentioned it already.

"Everything was quiet after our little visit last night." Lena said. "And the weather checks out, so it should be smooth sailing on through to our next stop."

Yulia nodded. "Good. But I still want to impress upon everyone to be extra alert when on lookout. Something about us being boarded last night bothers me. They seemed a little too....."

"Intense?" Lena suggested.

"Yes. That." Yulia agreed.

"I'll be sure they are all on their toes, Captain." Lena assured her.

They shared a glance, knowing they were both remembering the same thing.

Yulia nodded slowly. "Yes, I know you will."
PostTue Nov 10, 2009 4:04 pm
Draven260

Oooohhhh what did they remember? & why was Lena late?

I have more questions, than answers Frown , hope you update again soon Parrish Grin

PostTue Nov 10, 2009 4:16 pm
blackstormdragon

Hmmm, why do I feel as if somethings going on Suspicious
Perhaps I'm looking too much into everything.
Can't wait for more Thumb

Fear not the dragon. Fear only the storm it brings, for it will destroy you.

"There is only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

"...the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world."
PostTue Nov 10, 2009 4:36 pm
Parrish122

Lena ate her breakfast, enjoying every minute of it. She remembered all too well what food had often been like during the war.

As she ate, she thought about what all Bluesy had told her earlier that morning. That she was interested in having one of her friends join in. They would be meeting this friend at their next port.

Though Lena had agreed to speak to the captain about this, she rather doubted that they would bring them in. It was possible, certainly. But unlikely.

Many people made the mistake that Bluesy did, thinking that a resistance recruited as many members as possible. But Lena knew all too well that you never recruited someone just because they wanted to join. The biggest danger to a resistance was the threat of betrayal.

She and Yulia were extremely careful on who they approached to be a part of it in general.

And only people they trusted with their lives made it onto the Nomad.

They kept a very public appearance of just being traveling merchants, with occasional passengers paying their way. In fact, most of the time that was indeed what they were doing.

But other times they did something else.

Lena knew that they were no longer free, though it was easy to forget that sometimes when they were out on the water. She felt sure that most of the others needed that illusion of freedom.

But Lena also believed with all her heart that one day the Alliance would fall. She might not live to see it, but she hoped that with a little push here and a pull there, she could help hasten the day when it did happen.

As she sipped her orange juice, she reflected that she was fairly lucky.

She had the Nomad, she had the people under her command, she had her mission.....and she had Yulia.

She closed her eyes for just a moment, allowing herself to feel truly thankful.

Then she got up and gathered up her plate and silverware.

It was time to go back on duty.

Time to continue the fight.
PostFri Nov 13, 2009 3:42 pm
Draven260

Its nice to see Lena have this moment to herself, tho I don't think Yulia will like the idea of Bluesy's friend joining them but I could be wrong.

Cool update Parrish Thumb

PostSun Nov 15, 2009 8:51 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu Writing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: