:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
Her Ears, My Eyes PG13 (UC)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invalid0

Post subject: Her Ears, My Eyes PG13 (UC) Reply with quote
To see…to hear. So many takes these God given gifts for granted. I lived the first 14 years of my life in complete darkness… until I met her.

I was born blind. Apparently a genetic mutation runs on my father’s side of the family that effects the eyes. After skipping three generations it struck again, and I was born completely blind. At a young age, without knowing any differently, you become aware of the world around you through your other senses. However, at the age of five, my parents sent me across the country to attend a boarding school for the hearing and sigh impaired. This was the scariest time in my life. Not only was I leaving the only people I had ever known - my parents - I was leaving the familiarity of my home. When your blind you become accustomed to your surroundings through touch, when walking. Being ripped from that familiarity made me feel like a goldfish in a sea of sharks. Every time you go to move, you are bumping to someone or something. Luckily, after I arrived at the school, I was given a walking stick to help me get around. And within a year, I was as familiar with the my surroundings at the school as I had been at home.

At the school, they taught us to read using brail. We were first instructed by the nuns that ran the school. However, at the age of 14 we were paired with a student of the opposite impairment. If you were blind, you got a deaf student, and so on. This was exciting for me, because I was always eager to meet knew people. I loved it because each person is so different. Each voice is different, each person’s scent is different… it is beautiful to explore the individuality of every human.

It was most common to pair students of the same gender. This was because those students would be moved to room together. Luckily, deaf students would leave their original room to board with the blind students due to the difficulty for the blind to get around.

I was so excited to meet my new roomie. I was told her name was Lena and that she was the same age as me. I moved around my room, fixing everything up to the best of my ability, and made sure her bed was perfectly made. The morning of her arrival, I sat on my bed, listening to classical music when I heard a soft knock. I grabbed my cane and walked to the door and opened it.

“Hello?” I asked. I heard a soft sound escape her mouth and I felt a soft hand grab mine and rub it softly. I loved the contact of this girl’s warm hand and held onto it for a few moments. I then let go of her hand and gestured to come in. I walked to sit on my bed and I could hear the springs of the bed on the other side of the room creak, letting me know she had sat down as well. We sat in complete silence for close to 15 minutes before I stood up and walked over to sit beside her. I grabbed my electric notebook that was especially made with brail keys and typed two sentences.

You smell good. I’m glad to meet you.

I heard a soft grunt. I knew it was intended to be a laugh, but I loved the sound of it anyways.
After two months together, Lena and had learn our own special way of communicating. It was unbelievably difficult to communicate with someone who could not hear, as that was my main way to communicate. But we learned to overcome our challenges. Lena would help me practice my reading by holding my hand and running my fingers across the brail writing. We had special books that had brail writing and regular text below it so that Lena could read along with me. I helped Lena as well with her speak. We blind students were instructed in a special form of speech therapy where we would hold the hand of the deaf student against our mouths as we spoke. Lena and I would practice for hours, saying new words together. She slowly learned to pronounce easy words like “DOG” and “SKY” by touching my mouth as I spoke. This technique helped Lena to learn how to shape her mouth in order to pronounce a word. Even though she could not hear what she was saying, she could feel the vibrations in her mouth and throat.

Lena and I grew closer and closer over our first year together. The first word she ever said was my name. It took a week of her feeling my lips to say my name, but when she said it, it was the most beautiful sound I had ever heard. Of all the beautiful sounds I encountered, even the most beautiful Bach pieces, nothing was as beautiful as that angel voice. I felt a deep connection to Lena. We would sit for hours after school ours in the school yard holding hands. Some how the simple contact made us both feel at peace. When she touched I imagined what she looked like. I imagined the color of her hair, the color of her eyes, and the tone of her skin. She once told me her hair was red (it was a word she had recently learned to say) but I just giggled and shook my head. She could use any adjective in the world to described the color of her hair, but I would never understand because a color like red was an empty word to me. What was red? I would never colors, thus, using them in the context of description was of no use.

We would share our explorations with each other. She wanted to know what the music I listened to was like. Though she could not hear it, I would place her hands on the speakers and she smiled when she felt the vibrations. She would lay her head next to the speakers and feel the ground vibrate below from the echo of the sound waves. And she helped me to explore new feelings. I wanted so badly to know everything about her. After a few months we had started sleeping in the same bed, as we enjoyed the closeness. Before bed, we would lay side by side and I would run my hands over her body. I would run my fingers across her face, feeling her eyelashes, her little nose. I felt the large mounds of flesh under shirt. She always giggled when I did so. I would run my hands through her hair…that was my favorite part of her. It was so soft and silky and smelled like tulips in Spring. We continued this ritual every night, until one night my fingers grazed her lips. I felt her wrap her arms around me and she pulled me close to her. I could hear her beating so fast that I thought it might pound of her chest. Her lips were so soft and warm. I rolled on top of her and placed my nose against her nose, rubbing it slowly with my own. I placed my fingers on her lips again and felt a smile spread across her lips. My heart began to beat hard and I leaned it and placed my lips on her own. I didn’t know how to kiss, but I let my body lead me. I slowly moved my lips, exploring the sense of touch using the sensitive skin of the lips. It was amazing. For the first time in my life I could see. For 14 years I lived in complete darkness, but suddenly there was the immense burst of light. Sparkling flashes crossed my eyes and I felt almost dizzy. It was the most amazing moment. I finally realized that something bigger than myself had led me to Lena. My whole life suddenly seemed to be a journey down a long black tunnel and Lena was the light at the end that guided me. She became my sight.

"Ever since Love heard your name, it has been running through the
streets trying to find you." ~Hafiz
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 pm
*Mimi*

Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow, this UC is cute and beautiful! Love the way how they help each other and it was cute that they kissed. Grin

*Mimi* and JuliaLenaFan: WE ARE TWO CRAZY TATU FANS WHO LOVE EACH OTHER!!! Love Wacko

To JuliaLenaFan: Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control. Love Kiss
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 10:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Parrish122

I really like the idea, and we get a good sense of how sweet the girls are (especially Yulia, since-ironically-we are "seeing" this from her perspective. Did you do that on purpose?).
PostTue Jun 16, 2009 11:44 pm
Volkster

So sweet!! These kind of stories always get me due to the hope they carry. There is someone for everyone and any kind of special need can be overcome with love and open eyes and ears Wink

Thank you for sharing.

"There's love, there's hope ... for some. Hope that you'll find something worthy, that your life will lead you to some joy, that after everything ... you can still be surprised. Is that enough to live on?"
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 am
Russianmusicandlove

Ugh. This is a UC?! Nooo. Half Frown

...I wanted more. Grin

Very good, and extremely emotive. Since the narrator's sense of sight is lost, we learn about the story through every other perspective- very unique to this UC alone! Great job. Thumb
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 8:27 am
volchiseO1

...Smile

Wow. That was...quite unique. Very beautiful in its own way. The visual of it all is so simple, and yet the plot so much deeper.

Needless to say, I loved this Grin
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 8:39 am
Invalid0

volchise - I'm glad you enjoyed it!

RML - Sorry, but yes it's just a UC. Smile Thanks!

volkster - You are welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

parrish122 - Thanks! Yes, I did do that on purpose because it enabled the reader to understand a little better of what her life is like and allows me to be more descriptive with the other senses!

mimi - Glad you liked it!

"Ever since Love heard your name, it has been running through the
streets trying to find you." ~Hafiz
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 9:42 am
Jan1551

This was very beautiful and touching! I think very unique for the reasons already mentioned. Fab UC! Thumb

r.: it's pure love, you dumb slut <3

Hilarious Banner July 30th 2009 - November 5th 2009. R.I.P.
PostWed Jun 17, 2009 3:19 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu Writing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: