:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
PETITION UP NOW! PLEASE SIGN!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JasonRichmond

Post subject: PETITION UP NOW! PLEASE SIGN!!!!!! Reply with quote
Go to http://www.PetitionOnline.com/backtatu/petition.html

Rest assured, the BBC and every other organisation that bans TATU's work will be kept informed of the current number of signatures whenever it reaches a size worth telling them about.

The war has started. The first shots have been fired in anger. Please resist! Spread the word! Spread the word!

Jason

http://www.petitiononline.com/backtatu/petition.html
PostWed Feb 05, 2003 10:45 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JasonRichmond

Post subject: Reply with quote
OFFLINE PETITION

If you print the petition so that you can collect signatures on paper - thanks!!! - and please scan the petition and signatures, as clearly as possible, and send them to me as email attachments at

Jason4support@aol.com

Please type 'petition' in the subject box so I don't delete your message as spam by mistake.

Will let you know on here if and when I find a safe physical address that you can send the physical petitions to, instead.

Jason

Petition URL:

http://www.PetitionsOnline.com/backtatu/petition.html

[/b]

PostWed Feb 05, 2003 2:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lialuvstatu

I signed, #420 Grin yay an even number. I emailed the URL of the petition with a description trying to sound convincing to all the people I know....which is i'm sure over 20. I asked them to send it to everyone they know..hopefully it will get around a lot. I hope we can help tatu!!! TATU FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!! You Rock
PostWed Feb 05, 2003 6:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bianca_iuliana

JasonRichmond You Rock

Just signed.Go, go tatu!
PostThu Feb 06, 2003 1:02 pm
JasonRichmond

Thanks everybody! The signatures are about to hit 1000 but there is still a long way to go.

I'm on Phase 2 at the moment - working my way through UK radio stations, music magazines and gay magazines.

If you do the same in your country, hopefully we will reach some very large audiences and make the breakthrough.

Jason

PostThu Feb 06, 2003 2:29 pm
JasonRichmond

Post subject: Can anyone phone the UK radio stations? Reply with quote
That would be a great help, while I am emailing everybody online I can't use the phone. My emails might not get read, or broadcast, but you might get through with a phone call.

Make sure you have the petition URL handy

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/backtatu/petition.html

And let us know if you hear about the petition on the radio!

Cheers
Jason

PostThu Feb 06, 2003 2:34 pm
BartyD

I did it!!!!!! They will be sorry they banede T.A.T.U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm way, to gay for you!
PostFri Feb 07, 2003 12:32 am
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
JasonRichmond

Post subject: What did you do? Reply with quote
Do share please!

You mean you got a radio station to announce the petition?

PostFri Feb 07, 2003 1:09 am
Bad

They cannot ban them!!! They allow gays and lesbians to get married and because these girls sing about their treatment form their own family they get censored!!!!!!!! Come on they can't do that get away.
PostFri Feb 07, 2003 11:46 am
Tony27243

Ban? BANNED? BANNED? UK may have banned TATU but the U.S. of A will never ban TATU as long as i am alive. And if anyone wants to speak against me, (a little background first, Black belt in Tae Kwon do, and sharpshooter.) like i was saying, any one that wants to speak against me, or TATU for that matter, should go run and hide with Osama because i will seriously hurt some one if any wrong is done to TATU.
PostFri Feb 07, 2003 4:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mystic Dust

I signed it Smile I'll spread the word to some of my contacts Wink
PostFri Feb 07, 2003 4:45 pm
Kafeen

The BBC didn't ban Tatu, infact they were on top of the pops the other day.

The video isn't banned in the UK, it was on the smash hits program yesterday.

Richard and Judy did ask people to boycote the single because it promotes underage sex and paedophilia (the tatu girls are 17 and 18, sex is legal at 16 so I fail to see where the underage comes from). 98% of the voters on the Richard and Judy show voted to boycote the single (like they'd have bought it anyway). Yet still the single does straight to number 1 in the singles charts. So much for their boycote.

The worst I've seen happen is an ITV kids show cut the video off early because they said it got too rude for the kids.
PostSun Feb 09, 2003 12:14 pm
Willow

Kafeen wrote:
The BBC didn't ban Tatu, infact they were on top of the pops the other day.

The video isn't banned in the UK, it was on the smash hits program yesterday.

Richard and Judy did ask people to boycote the single because it promotes underage sex and paedophilia (the tatu girls are 17 and 18, sex is legal at 16 so I fail to see where the underage comes from). 98% of the voters on the Richard and Judy show voted to boycote the single (like they'd have bought it anyway). Yet still the single does straight to number 1 in the singles charts. So much for their boycote.

The worst I've seen happen is an ITV kids show cut the video off early because they said it got too rude for the kids.

They wanted to boycot it because they where 14 at the time (when shooting al the things she said. And Richard and Julie are just Morrons.

Willow
PostSun Feb 09, 2003 12:20 pm
JasonRichmond

Post subject: Re: Tatu ban in UK Reply with quote
My petition is against ATTEMPTS to ban Tatu in the UK and anywhere in the world. Believe me, there's a Richard and Judy in every country, not just mine.

So far, Top of the Pops has banned the ATTSS (yay, spelt it right) video.

However, Madeley is hell bent on getting Tatu's videos and CDs withdrawn from the shops. He is not just calling for a boycott. He is also preparing to take legal action against Ivan Shapovalov - I don't recall under which headings - something along the lines of 'conspiring to corrupt / endanger minors'. He may even bring a private prosecution under the Obscene Publications Act.

We could organise against Madeley in various ways:

Some major chain stores may voluntarily withdraw all Tatu CDs - all the CDs include the video - if they think there is mighty public opposition to the video. The more UK signatures on my petition, the lower the chances of that happening.

We could find out when and where the court hearings are, and organise protests outside the court. We could also present the petition to Madeley at that point. This tatu site,

http://7-40.com/tatu

seems to be Ivan's mouthpiece - it posts his updates on the legal situation.

That reminds me to contact Liberty (the UK civil liberties organisation) and seek their backing.

That also reminds me to ask if anybody knows whether there is an offline Tatu fan club in the UK? If there isn't, are UK fans up for creating one?

Jason

PostSun Feb 09, 2003 1:45 pm
Bianca_iuliana

tatu doesn't deserve this!
They didn't do anything wrong.And they weren't 14, that's for sure!
PostMon Feb 10, 2003 6:58 am
Hikikomori

Bianca_iuliana wrote:
And they weren't 14, that's for sure!

I saw a crappy interview on BBC Choice's Liquid News (a kind of reliable British entertainment news program). When asked how old they were when they shot the ATTSS video Lena said they were both 14...
Slip of the tongue? Maybe she was tired?

Try and get hold of the video and see for yourself...
PostMon Feb 10, 2003 7:17 am
Simon Gill

Post subject: Oh the insanity Reply with quote
Before you read this, consider what it would say about your views on censorship if you call for me to be banned from the list.

Confused

I am incredibly confused and almost saddened by the amount of controversy that this has created. It is all a ploy. Read that again and again until you understand me.

I don't care how good they may or may not be, I haven't listened to pop for over 4 years, but they have created such a huge publicity storm that is going to blow over leaving us with Popstars doing a lesbian edition. I do not like the statement that this has made about modern society, especially the fact that we are so jaded that two lesbians in school uniform are needed to sell records. Give me nihilistic thrash metal over this pap any day.

Oh BTW, the Black Belt who mentioned any dissers of Tatu being lumped in with Osama, be quiet, you have no idea just how badly your country is screwing the world up do you. Perhaps the fact that Osama used to be funded by the US when he was a freedom fighter has slipped your mind. Actually I'm beginning to see the parallels here, American (and British, I'll lay the blame evenly on this one) media has mined the possibilities for Pop music too far and is getting into truly taboo subjects.

Thirdly, I think R&J are perfectly correct in stating their disapproval. They might be going a touch too far asking everybody to ban the video completely but they raised the point. You obviously want to see lesbians fondling each other on screen but what about gay men? Would it matter to their success if they were dressed normally and weren't getting it on? This is what I've read from R&J's comments and is a perfectly valid point.

Now I've vented my frustrations, I'm going to go away and leave you to your purile and adolescent fantasies. Anybody who wants to carry on a reasonable conversation about just how bad global culture is getting can contact me at swgill@wizzo.org.uk.

Any flames can be left on the board where they can act as a reminder that censorship works both ways.

Until someone can pique my interest again, Simon.,
PostMon Feb 10, 2003 12:33 pm
Willow

Okay read your post, and hey I am a mod and wont ban ya. But read again. They dont want to ban it because they play a lesbian act in the vid. They want to ban it because its supposed to attract pedophelic thoughts. You know old pervers men watching the clip, because they where 14 at the time of in that video.
But do we see old man when they are in concert? No. The crowd exists out of young girls/women and young men. So no old men who are drooling over them kissing while they perform ATTSS.

Willow
PostMon Feb 10, 2003 12:42 pm
JasonRichmond

Post subject: Banning boosts sales, but...... Reply with quote
A lot of people have made this point - that Richard and Judy are Polydor's unpaid promoters. Indeed they are. However......

The video that Top of the Pops and CDUK have banned, communicates that teen lesbian sexuality is OK, and lesbian teens whose lives are a nightmare because of homophobia, need that affirmation.

The more the video is attacked, let alone banned, the harder it is for gay teens to be open and brazen about who they are, as they should be; and the more afraid they will be to come out.

That's the effect of what Richard and Judy are doing, but not the reason. They are doing it because they are paranoid that watching such a video will make men go out and sexually harm children, and turn young children into lesbians, despite the fact that there is no credible evidence to support either assertion.

Yet, that very paranoia is itself dangerous and harmful to children. Why? Because we have lost the ability to tell the difference between who is actually dangerous to children and who isn't.

Frankly, those issues matter more than record sales. Tatu are doing good in the world, for gay teen pride and by sticking two fingers up at paedophile paranoia. I created the petition so that we could give them the thumbs-up for that, in enough numbers to blaze a trail for young gays to come out, and begin to restore sanity to the British child protection system; not just to keep the CDs in the shops.

Please sign it at

http://www.petitiononline/backtatu/petition.html

Thanks,
Jason

PostMon Feb 10, 2003 8:14 pm
heather1984

Ok, I think that it is pretty stupid that they want to ban tatu because they think it will make men want to go out and molest young girls and make these girls become lesbians.

First off, sexuality is predetermined. i mean there are things that influence it, yes, but no one is going to decide to become gay/lesbian after watching a music video, please! I dont know where people get off saying that this type of video is going to make men go out and molest young girls, either. Look at all the different types of videos out there. Look at the violence, look at the drugs, look at the sex portrayed in all the other videos. All of these things exist in life already, as do sick bastards that molest innocent girls. A video, expressing something that is completely natural, but looked down upon by society, is not going to influence these crazy old men anymore then they are already determined.

I just think that it's sad that because it is something that the older generation cant accept, they want to ban it. Life is changing and if you cant handle it, just dont worry about it, dont try to cover it up!

That's all i have to say

Heather
PostTue Feb 11, 2003 1:30 am
Fire_Blade

Post subject: Re: PETITION UP NOW! PLEASE SIGN!!!!!! Reply with quote
JasonRichmond wrote:
Go to http://www.PetitionOnline.com/backtatu/petition.html

Rest assured, the BBC and every other organisation that bans TATU's work will be kept informed of the current number of signatures whenever it reaches a size worth telling them about.

The war has started. The first shots have been fired in anger. Please resist! Spread the word! Spread the word!

Jason

Bash Youre right man.When they see a good thing,They attack it like hottentots.BBC phew.I only watch it when I have gut gas .
PostTue Feb 11, 2003 7:04 am
matt

Yes fight the dam system Grin

how deep does that rabbit hole go?
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 10:37 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matt

when i signed up there were 3904 sigs, good work

how deep does that rabbit hole go?
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 10:40 am
Curtis adkins

Post subject: Tatu banned Reply with quote
how dare they ban them i love tatu let them do what they do damnit Mad :pissed: Bash
PostWed Feb 12, 2003 1:55 pm
youthdecay

I think the reasons that richard and judy wanted the video banned had nothing to do with dissaproving of lesbianism at all, it was more to do with preventing 2 young girls being exploited. when i first heard about tatu i was shocked at how they were such a blatantly obvious attempt by a record company to mastermind a headline grabbing "band" to fit into a new niche- i mean come on, 2 nubile school girls fondling each other?! how straight male fantasy is that?!!
If they were older, wrote they're own songs, genuinely were in a relationship, i doubt there would be any fuss about it, but because they were 14 when the attss video was made and because they say and do whatever their record tells them, they're being exploited, plain and simple.
PostThu Feb 13, 2003 1:59 pm
JasonRichmond

Post subject: To youthdecay Reply with quote
The automatic assumption of 'exploited innocence' would be an insult to 14-year-olds even if it were true that the point of the exercise was the lowest common denominator of cheap sexual titillation for purely heterosexual male consumption - in other words a soft porn video with background music.

Has not the possibility occured to you that 14-year-olds might have a sexuality in their own right, and might want to express or assert it - and would have a hard time doing so in this climate of paedophile hysteria, even if they were str8?

If you think the meaning and context of the videos and live performances, as supplied by the songs, is anything other than the story of the struggle of the true feelings of underage lesbians against the fear and denial that result from moral taboo and social hostility - then the lyrics on your CD are different from the ones on mine.

PostFri Feb 14, 2003 8:27 am
youthdecay

"the story of the struggle of the true feelings of underage lesbians against the fear and denial that result from moral taboo and social hostility"

um yeah im sure that this is uppermost in the minds of their management and record company.
while im sure it would be fantastic to don my rose tinted glasses and believe these two young girls are bravely and boldy furthering the cause of lesbianism in the public eye all of their own free will, i cant help but feel that they're 2 puppets being manipulated by their record company to exploit a gap in the market, and sorry but theres a hell of a lot more to music then that. if you want to hear genuine lesbian bands (ie they sing their own songs, play their own instraments and make their own decisions) have a look at www.chainsaw.com.
PostFri Feb 14, 2003 8:51 am
JasonRichmond

Post subject: Re: puppets Reply with quote
Yes, I am hearing this, and that sentiment is very strong among musicians, especially the ones who nobody has ever heard of. That's the point: in order to get your message across to the wide world out there, you need to find that gap in the market - or, rather, in this case - hit a nerve that's guaranteed to spark controversy and get publicity. If it worked, it serves the British right for having such a raw, exposed nerve - in the form of paedophile paranoia - in the first place.

Hence, there is a resonable distinction to be drawn here between the product and the promotion. The songs could easily have been of the type that get played in seedy clubs that employ table dancers; but they are not. Here is what the hardened music critic, Neil McCormick, wrote in the staunch conservative British newspaper, the Daily Telegraph:

"[ATTSS] was assembled with heart, soul, intelligence and a willingness to engage with the wider world" [he means, "wider world" culturally, not commercially; check out the article]. "Crucially, it sounds as if it has been made by people who care."

And......

"......a propulsive, near-hysterical statement of teenage desire given a typically over-the-top production from Trevor Horn, the twist being that it is actually a young lesbian painfully confronting the issue of her sexual orientation. This could be dismissed at titillation were the record's sense of confusion and turmoil not quite so convincing. To young people struggling with issues of sexual identity and social rejection, the song carries a message of affirmation. What it is saying is: you are not alone." (Telegraph, 30/01/03)

Trevor Horn, Lena, Yulia and the songwriters produced this album as Neil McCormick describes; then the marketing men went out and sold it.

People are also fond of alleging that Lena and Yulia signed a pact with the Devil. This probably plays into western stereotypes of East European gangsters, traffickers, pimps and sex slaves. Of course they all exist. Let somebody step forward with specific credible evidence, or grounds for reasonable suspicion, that there is a human rights case to answer, and I will be among the first to ask the questions.

In a recent email to the UK Musicians Union, I wrote:

"Lena and Yulia will always be accused of saying what they are told to say, but there is something sincere and spontaneous in the sheer vehemence with which they are publicly opposing Madeley's intervention."

Lena and Yulia have been absolutely spitting furious at Madeley for appointing himself as the White Knight and riding to their 'rescue'. It is difficult to see what more they can do to convince everybody that they mean it. If they are lying, they should be nominated for Oscars.

I come back to the assumption of trendy political correctness: just because they were 14, they must have been poor little helpless, passive, pure, sweet, naive, innocent, victimised, brainless, asexual, abused, exploited puppets.

It is this very one-dimensional ideological stereotype that objectifies and dehumanises youth, and oppresses them for the comfort and pleasure of adults. Madeley describes tATu as 'sick' and 'pathetic' because they offend his candy-floss ideas of what little girls are supposed to be like. Who's wearing the rose-tinted specs now?

Another ideological precept of political correctness - that all heterosexual sex is rape; it's only a question of degree - is, ironically, attributed to lesbian feminists. This depressing thesis of sex as axiomatic aggression and oppression has hung over us for too long. Of course, a 14-year-old girl could never have great fun flaunting herself and her sexuality in front of a man, or exercise any power of her own in doing so. What heresy!

The reason why tATu are the greatest band for a generation (not just musically as good and authentic as anybody else), is becasue they stick two fingers up at both of those divisive beliefs. tATu give us permission to celebrate them together and celebrate BEING together for a change: young and old, gay and str8. That's what makes them a unifying breath of fresh, Siberian air in a world of age apartheid and homophobic hate.

-Jason

PostFri Feb 14, 2003 2:51 pm
JasonRichmond

Post subject: tATu in UK Reply with quote
Hey, tATu are coming to the UK in the summer! I wonder if they will take the first chance they get to claim political asylum, and ask to be adopted by Richard Madeley!!!

PostFri Feb 14, 2003 3:14 pm
Nataly T

Post subject: lucky UK Reply with quote
All UK people are lucky

Forever Yours

Get tatu to come to North America , sign this petition, pleeeeease
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/tatu.html
PostSat Feb 15, 2003 8:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
t.A.T.u. RIGHTS

Hey all......I have something to say about t.A.T.u. since its my first time here Grin ........Im sure most of you out there feel for t.A.T.u. importantly. I know I do. I love their music and I think about them in a kind manner. They have really changed my view on life itself. I have to admit I am not into being a fan but.....t.A.T.u. has changed that. If only t.A.T.u. saw this I would say.....I GIVE JULIA AND LENA A BIG THUMBS UP! Thumb

Please help t.A.T.u. as much as possible.

Lots of support!
Zack Hynes
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 4:37 pm
nuxx

Great Grin

Put that in here will ya?

http://www.tatu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1257
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 4:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
15dogy

Post subject: reply Reply with quote
Grin hi how are you.

i think t.a t.u shouldn't be bans from anything at all because they are great people and because they are really great singer thats why i don't get why people want them bans from things. i think their the best because their not afraid to do their own thing and their not afraid to talk out loud about their sexsualety which i think only people that have the courage and have the pride will do things like that thats why i thing their the best . Smile

they are number one on my list. and if they are reading this then what i have to say to you is that you keep on going until you make it to the top !!!
Grin Grin Grin Smile Grin

bye bye,
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 9:09 pm
Persona

Record companies push the sexuality of their artists, obviously. Every single pop artist with any amount of sex appeal goes through this.

The people who say that TATU are the puppets of a record label that "needs to show underage lesbianism to sell records" are insulting gay people in a major way. They are basically saying that expressions of a heterosexual nature by pop artists are ok, but once it is homosexual in nature, it is AUTOMATICALLY a ploy to sell records. That, my friends, is bigotry. It sure as hell is a marketing tactic, but so is Britney Spears shaking her tits in barely any clothes. It's ok when she does it since she publicly likes guys though, eh? Rubbish.

And the idea that they could be promoting any kind of inappropriate behavior is basically telling every underage lesbian in the world that they should feel shame for having natural feelings. Period. I don't think these loudmouthed bastions of morality understand what their kind of thinking has done to countless young minds hurt by a society governed by such prejudice and ignorance.

They are a normal pop group, better or worse than some depending on your musical tastes. Anyone unable to see that should think about their own intolerance, because it comes in more forms than overt hatred.
The blood of my heart's dream
More real than the real thing.
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 9:37 pm
RichardJohnson

Post subject: Booking information needed Reply with quote
Dear T.a.t.u.,
My best friend / sister is the president of Gay Pride St.Louis Missouri. I would like to be able to contact your management for possibly booking you for our gay pride festival this spring. We have a team that usually handels this for us, but your act is very new to the United States and there is no information on contacting you. If anyone reading this message can pass it along to the appropriate people I would greatly apperciate it. The St.Louis Gay Pride Festival has more than 50,000 people in attendance for the two day's. Last year was our best year, when we had more people in attendance than San Fran. Gay Pride by approx. 15,000 people. This is a serious inquire, and I would apperciate serious replys. My e-mail address is my own home address.

I hope to hear from you,
Richard L Johnson
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 1:24 am
JasonRichmond

Post subject: Richard...... Reply with quote
You could try Interscope (their record label) and the best of British luck to you. They never reply to my emails. Here's my latest.

Subj: Opposing the threatened UK ban on t.A.T.u. CD sales
Date: 28/02/2003
To: feedback@igamail.com

Dear Sirs

Can you help me out here? I am trying to save your ass in the UK in relation to future tATu CD sales here, so please read on......

Four weeks ago, one Richard Madeley, influential television presenter, pledged himself to use the law to get tATu's works removed from the shelves in the shops. Beata Ardeeva, Head of the tATu PR department, is on the public record as quoting Ivan Shapovalov as saying that Madeley is going to use proposed new laws against him (Ivan) and the UK record distributors.

I understand the distributors to be Polydor UK; would appreciate if you would confirm.

In the absence of any response from you or anybody else, I have identified the proposed new law in question as Clause 11 of the Sexual Offences Bill 2003. I am campaigning against it because it would be a bad law for freedom of speech and expression and for the music industry (see attachment).

Of course, you could always modify the content of material that you sell in the UK in the future, in accordance with the rulings of the British courts; but I am guessing that you - and certainly the artists and everybody else who would be involved in the production of that material - would rather not be restricted in that way in the first place.

My online petition will help with that campaign. You can find it here:

You have the power to promote this petition sufficiently widely so that half a million or more people will have signed it one month from now; which is probably all the time we have before the UK House of Commons debates Clause 11. For example, you could print the petition URL alongside the URL of tatugirls.com on the cards that you include with the CDs. You could also ask tatugirls.com to post the petition URL on their home page and send it out with the mailings that they send to fans which ask them to vote for tATu on TRL.

At the very least, a petition with half a million or more signatures is another news story and more publicity.

There are other potential benefits if you were minded to cooperate with tATu fans in the UK. For example, All The Things She Said has led the singles chart here for four weeks but I have not seen a single item of tATu merchandise in the shops anywhere. Not even a T-shirt. You could have made a killing. There are UK fans and activists who stand ready to organise the other fans and act as agents for the sale of merchandise, especially if an opposition-to-threatened-censorship theme is worked into it. 'Not gonna ban us'?

I will leave you to meditate on that.

Yours faithfully
Jason
(Jason Richmond, petition author)

Date: 27/02/2003
To: info@equity.org.uk

Dear Sirs

You must get requests like this all the time, and I understand why it has to be practically impossible for someone like me - Joe Bloggs - to contact celebrities in general; but they might like to know about this petition so that, if they agree, they can sign and use their influence to promote it.

I would also recommend my petition to Equity itself because the careers of some of your members have already been damaged by the very paedophile hysteria that I am campaigning against. The URL is

You will see that this petition is a response to the publicly declared intention of one Richard Madeley to take legal action to ban the works of the Russian pop duo, tATu. According to their PR department, he is going to use a new law for this purpose, which I take to be Clause 11 of the Sexual Offences Bill 2003. The civil rights organisation, Liberty, share my interpretation of this Clause, that it potentially, significantly restricts the freedom of expression of performing artists and musicians.

[......]

You can also find out more at http://www.tatu.us.

Thanks for anything at all that you do to help.

Yours faithfully
Jason Richmond

Subj: FW: Urgent fight against human rights violation in UK
Date: 26/02/2003 12:13:55 GMT Standard Time
To: Jason4support@aol.com

Thank you for your email,

Section 28 has not been repealed although the government has repeatedly expressed an intent to do so. It has been repealed in Scotland.

You do raise some very valid concerns about the Sex Offences Bill (you may wish to look at the relevant parts of the bill briefing which is attached). However, I am not certain that they would specifically relate to tATu who I understood to be over 16. However, I believe your comments about Clause 11 could relate to recording artists in the way you describe as the definition of 'sexual' in clause 80 would in my opinion [include] kissing of the type in the video.

I do not however think the offence of sexual grooming contained in clause 17 would be likely extend to arranging the meeting of a fan club as the offence requires the intent to commit a relevant offence under 17(2)(b). However, please look at our briefing for our concerns about the situations it could cover.

Gareth Crossman Policy Officer
Liberty
21 Tabard Street
London
SE1 4LA

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason4support@aol.com [mailto:Jason4support@aol.com]
Sent: 22 February 2003 19:56
To: INFO
Subject: Urgent fight against human rights violation in UK

Dear Sirs

I fully appreciate that your organisation is run largely by volunteers who are already hugely overworked, but this matter has become as urgent as the time we have left to lobby MPs to make relevant changes to the Sexual Offences Bill.

By way of explanation, I add below this message the draft form of an open letter, on which I would seek your advice before sending it and posting it on the Internet for UK citizens to read and sign. I don't understand legalspeak, and need to know whether the terms, incite and intend, in the context of the Bill, are as dangerously vague as I think they are.

Sorry to be ignorant, but was the infamous 'Section 28' eventually scrapped? If it wasn't, could local authorities which assist in the (parking, public order etc) arrangements for the forthcoming tour of the UK by the Russian pop duo, tATu, be held liable for 'promoting homosexuality'?

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

Yours faithfully
Jason Richmond

Open Letter to Rt Hon Tony Blair MP, Rt Hon Ian Duncan-Smith MP and Rt Hon Charles Kennedy MP

[Edited draft 27/2/03 - not yet posted on the Internet]

Dear Sirs

RE: SEXUAL OFFENCES BILL 2003: CLAUSE 11

We fully endorse and respect your intention to legislate in order to protect children from significant harm and danger, but we urge you and, through you, all other Members of Parliament, to reconsider Clause 11 of the Bill as it currently stands.

It appears to be distinctly possible that the term, incite, in Clause 11 (Inciting a Child to Engage in Sexual Activity), could be interpreted to include the recorded works and live performances of a wide range of performing artists and musicians.

One Richard Madeley, television presenter, has already pledged himself to use the Sexual Offences Bill, should it become law in its current form, to obtain a court order which will ban one or more of the works of the Russian pop duo, tATu.

We are therefore extremely concerned that, under such a law, half the music industry could potentially find itself in the dock for performances which the courts define as 'inciting' one or more persons under the age of 16 to engage in 'sexual activity'.

We therefore believe that Clause 11 violates the fundamental human right of freedom of speech in the form of artistic and musical expression, and we demand that it be deleted from the Bill.

Yours faithfully
The Undersigned

Subj: Tatu furore: in case you wanted to email Richard and Judy
Date: 31/01/2003
To: feedback@OutRage.org.uk

Subj: Tatu furore: put your two cents in on British television
To: GAYII@yahoogroups.com
CC: Teen_Issues@yahoogroups.com

To: teen-lgbt-family@yahoogroups.com

You only have two hours, but I have only just found out that the British TV programme, Richard and Judy, will slam Tatu's managers for using 'paedophiliac images' in the videos that market their music. The programme goes on air at (I think) 5pm UK time today on Channel 4. The web address is at the foot of this message.

The furore is far greater than it ever was over Britney Spears, and that is obviously because the video's overtones / suggestions are lesbian, not just underage / paedophiliac. At least, that's what I have read about the video; I have not seen it. I have no idea what Tatu sound like either; I'm sure they are plastic, overmarketed, overproduced, can't sing anyway, etc. etc., but that's irrelevant.

The video will probably appear on Top of the Pops tonight (BBC1, 7pm), if it hasn't already been censored by then.

The message I sent to Richard and Judy appears below. [......]

"The furore over Tatu is an attack on teen sexuality in general, and gay and lesbian teen sexuality in particular. Balancing the rights and protection of newly pubescent people is never easy, but gay and lesbian teens, especially, need adult support and affirmation, not hysteria. They are already troubled by homophobic bullying and stigmatism, and if Tatu help to affirm that their sexuality is legitimate, they have done some good in the world."

Go to this URL:

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/R/richardandjudy/contactus/contact_us/html

Subj: Music fans of the world unite!
Date: 25/02/2003
To: michael-joseph-jackson@yahoogroups.com

Please read! This could not be more on-topic: an attack on the freedom of expression of one artist or musician is an attack on all of them.

Please support the online petition at

Here is quite a lot of background info:

Subj: Online petition against attempts to ban tATu
Date: 18/02/2003
To: feedback@womencelebs.com

Um, I hope it isn't too cheeky of me to use your feedback address for this, but you might want to have the opportunity to read my petition and decide whether you would like to support it in any way? I discovered your site through a mutual link with the tATu fan site, http://www.tatu.us.

The petition is at http://www.petitiononline.com/backtatu/petition.html

I was not a tATu fan when I created the petition. I did it because I have many young gay friends of both sexes and I feel protective towards them. I am str8 but have some understanding of the hard time they have just trying to get social acceptance and resisting homophobia.

Just a short while ago, something (that almost all of them tell me is) wonderful happened in their lives. For the first time in history, a popular, high-profile band came along and made music and lyrics that spoke to them, to their dreams and their pain. I know that there are thousands of 'authentic' lesbian bands in the world, but tATu's gay-positive message goes out to everybody else as well, not just to a narrow gay constituency. That matters to my friends.

Of course, the fact that young teenagers have a sexuality at all, let alone that they may occasionally - or permanently - be attracted to their own gender, is itself challenging to conventional morality, and especially to closed minds. Hence, tATu have met with organised opposition in the UK and, apparently, also now in the US. But they mean enough to the people I care about for me to say that attempts to suppress tATu in my country will succeed over my dead body.

Whatever attempted or partial / broadcasting bans do for record sales, they sure as hell undermine the gay-positive message and can only encourage homophobic thugs on the streets.

Oh, BTW, tATu's music turns out to be surprisingly sensitive, mature and powerful into the bargain!

Jason
(Jason Richmond)

Subj: Re: Signature Confirmation - Opposition to attempts to ban TATU in UK andelse...
Date: 22/02/2003
To:

Thanks for signing! There is no set number, but the more who sign, the more it will influence Members of Parliament to reconsider new laws (not yet passed) which one Richard Madeley (television presenter) has already threatened to use to get tATu's works banned in the UK.

Why did I enable people from other countries to sign? There are other Richard Madeleys in other countries, and I wanted to give people the chance to support the right of tATu to express themselves and their ideas anywhere in the world. I believe that pubescent people aged 13 or over should have the right to freely express and celebrate their sexuality in a manner that causes no harm to themselves, each other or anybody else, and the censorship of that expression or celebration is an affront to humanity.

In order to send a message to the UK Parliament that it can't possibly ignore, I would like to see a million signatures on the petition, of which half are from the UK. We would need to get the petition mentioned in at least one major newspaper, magazine, radio or television station, to make the breakthrough; so I need as many people as possible to write / email those organisations, telling them to do just that.

I am trying to find out what the relevant Parliamentary timetable is, but we probably have about two months if the tATu UK tour goes ahead as planned in May. That would be as good a time as any to present the petition to Richard and Judy (his co-presenter on their Channel 4 show).

We will also campaign for the relevant sections [11 and 17] of the Sexual Offences Bill to be scrapped or amended. I will, hopefully, shortly be holding talks with Liberty (the UK civil rights organisation) to work out a common position with them on this. Then we may post an open letter on the Internet (for anybody in the UK to sign) which will spell out the changes to the Bill that we will demand.

All of that said, any way in which you could help to spread the word would be much appreciated.

Jason

Subj: Online petition against attempts to ban TATU
Date: 10/02/2003
To: gay-youth-uk@yahoogroups.com

Hey everybody,

First off, I am 39 and not gay, but the moderator of this group very kindly let me join so I could post this message, in case some of you might be interested in this.

If you agree, please sign and spread the word! If you can, email radio stations, MTV and relevant magazines (gay scene, music, teen girls, Cosmo, etc.) with the URL of the petition. Thanks for anything you do to help.

[......]

Jason

Background:

Please stand up for the right of this young, female, politically incorrect Russian pop
duet (aged 17 and 18) to sell their records and videos in the UK and perform live
here; and to do the same in any other country where politically correct prudes who
suffer from terminal paedophile paranoia try to get them banned.

They are only controversial in my country because they made a video, apparently
when they were 14 (though some sources say they were 15 / 16) in which they
kissed and groped in their school uniforms. In the UK, school uniforms are
considered to be sexually appealing (stop laughing), especially to older men. It is believed that, enjoying TATU's music and videos, will 'make' the said older men go out and rape some children, or will turn young girl children into lesbians, despite the fact that there is no credible evidence to support either assertion.

Of course, endless movies and TV programmes feature teen boy/girl kissing and
hand-wandering, and that's OK; so there is an element of homophobia in the 'ban
TATU' campaign as well. I am not getting any feedback from lesbian teenagers or
gay women that they feel 'degraded' in any way by TATU's act; on the contrary, they
are telling me that the songs and performances affirm and validate their sexual orientation.

The campaign was initiated by the middle-aged, squeaky-clean TV presenters
Richard Madeley and Judy Finnigan (who host a daily show on Channel 4). They are always moaning and tut-tutting about young girls wearing fashion and underwear that is 'too old' for them, and suchlike. They insist that they have no problems at all with Britney Spears. Work that one out.

They say they are freaking over TATU because their manager was honest enough to
admit that he was targeting the market for people who like teen lesbian pop stars who are brazen in their videos. Anybody would think we were talking sexually-explicit porn here, or even soft porn. But we are not. The conservative British newspaper, The Daily Telegraph, favourably reviewed TATU, did not have a problem with the videos and described their lyrics as mature, sensitive and poignant (30/01/2003).

In any case, this so-called 'paedophile market' must be one hell of a big one: TATU
shot to the top of the UK singles chart from nowhere within 48 hours of Madeley
urging everybody to boycott their music. He is threatening to bully the record
companies and shops into withdrawing all of TATU's music from the shelves, not just
their videos. He has already succeeded in scaring the producers of Top of the Pops
into banning 'that' video.

He thinks he has majority public support, beyond the usual tabloid-reading, paedophile-obsessed vigilante morons. I think the British (and world) public are sick of the paranoid paedophile witch hunt, which has totally lost the plot, and is failing to
protect children from the very people who are actually dangerous and harmful to
them.

Please prove me right and Madeley wrong (about whose side public opinion is on), by signing my petition.

Thanks,
Jason

Subj: Please forward this to Ivan urgently
Date: 12/02/2003

[Ivan Shapovalov is their manager]

Dear Lena,

I realise that you probably get more emails in one day than the number of signatures on my online petition against Richard and Judy (currently 3767). I am just typing this in the slim hope that you will find the time to read it and forward a copy to Ivan. Sorry if you and he already knew about the petition, but just in case you didn't......

My petition can only help him in his 'public relations war' with Richard Madeley. Precisely because I believe in the petition statement that I wrote, I am happy for Ivan to propagate the petition as widely as possible. The more signatures we collect, the more stupid Madeley will look every time he claims to have public support for his attempts to prevent the works of t.A.T.u from being sold and broadcast in the UK.

The URL for the petition is

I am also trying to organise t.A.T.u. fans here in the UK so that we can launch a major PR assault of our own, of which the petition will be the centrepiece. Hopefully, we can get the rational public debate going (about paedophilia and paedophile hysteria) that Ivan has been calling for.

The new legislation under which Madeley is threatening to take legal action against Ivan (for allegedly promoting / inciting underage sex) will soon become law. The Sexual Offences Bill is already before Parliament. Time is short if we are going to organise and lobby MPs to amend the Bill, and we need all the promotional help we can get from Ivan and Polydor UK. As far as I know, there is not yet an official t.A.T.u. fan club in the UK?

If indeed the new law will be used to ban pop videos and attack the music industry, instead of protecting children from real harm, it will be a bad law and must be stopped.

[......]

Regards
Jason
(Jason Richmond)

[No, she never replied. I don't know if the email address is authentic anyway, JR 27/2/03]

PostFri Feb 28, 2003 2:35 am
rally1

Post subject: Tatu is the way to express your true desires and feelings!!! Reply with quote
Keep it up girls very sexy and creative I like it a lot!!! Thumb Why the hell would you want to ban these girls when they are just using their artistic abilities by expressing themselves (ex) "Madonna"!!! Get a life to the asshole that wants to ban them!!! Devil
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 7:28 am
NUMs

GRRRRRRR Ban?:pissed: WTF how dare they even think about banning TATU, if it comes to it i shall fight for them with my life! Bash Weirdo hehehe serious, their music is of such beauty and wonder i love TATU and will never forget it:grouphug:, neither will ne one else who hears their crys.

NUMs

P.S. Yulia is so gorgous i wana kiss her Sexy
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 4:00 am
cheekygirl

DO NOT BAN T.A.T.U EVER!!!!!!!!! YOU WOULD HAVE TO BE FUKN STUPID TO DO SUCH A THING!! WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE ATTRACTED TO SOMEONE IN THE SAME SEX, THEN YOU'VE SPENT MOST OF YOUR LIFE EARNING YOUR DREAM CAREER THEN SOME DICK HEAD COMES ALONG AND TAKES THAT AWAY FROM YOU BECAUSE YOU WERE LESBIAN!!! YOU MUST BE ALL CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!! Bash

GRAB THAT ROCK INSIDE YOUR SKULL AND START USING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pissed:
PostTue Mar 11, 2003 4:39 am
Airhead

Hey, I totally agree with you cheekygirl. However, please don't write everything in capitals, as it is really annoying to read. Just take deeep breaths......relax....... Thumb
PostTue Mar 11, 2003 4:49 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: