:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
New Izvestia.ru article - Interview [Sep 2]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xena225

Post subject: New Izvestia.ru article - Interview [Sep 2] Reply with quote
Found this on the tatu.fatal.ru forum:
http://www.tatu.fatal.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=3407

Quote:
Group Tatu: We never were lesbians

Lena Katina and Yulia Volkova, known to the world as “Tatu”, finished recording their new album. The Russian version is called “Lyudi-invalidy”, and American version is called “Dangerous and Moving”, will be released simultaneously on the 15th of October. With about one and a half months to go until the release, the girls decided to talk to “Izvestiya” about the changes and the constants in their lives, as well as share their fears and plans.

NOTE: Izvestiya = I; Lena Katina = L; Yulia Volkova = Y.

I: Congratulations.

L: With what? The first of September?

I: Yes, with the new academic year, with the new album, with a new step in life. I have the impression that you’re moving in the direction of rock. Do you want to become a female rock-band?

Y: We just wanted to move away from the cheap, stupid pop, that’s all. We’re sick of it.

I: You can hardly call your first album cheap...

Y: But it had more pop in it either way.

I: It is true that the new album has a song by your ex-producer, Ivan Shapovalov?

L: "Lyudi-invalidy" is his song.

I: Does anybody from the team that worked on your first album still work with you?

L: No.

Y: Well, Serezha Galoyan, who wrote "Ya soshla s uma", also wrote a few songs for the second album.

I: By the looks for your first music video that I saw, "All About Us", you continue to play the story of girls-fiends-lovers…

L: No. Just friends, not lovers. We never were lovers. We were always really good friends. We are like sisters. It’s like, when you meet your friend, you can hug them, give them a kiss? Girls just do it more honestly. We never were lesbians, to be honest.

I: What are you talking about?! That image was cultivated for such a long time...

Y (lifting her head from Lena’s knees, where she lies for most of the interview): We weren’t hetero either.

I: Besides your appearance on the recent “Muz-TV” awards, with that song about monkeys that should live in prison, you were gone for two years. What happened with you during this time?

L (pointing at Yulia): A baby appeared.

Y: We were recording the album; everything was starting from the beginning for us. We had a good rest during this time. Because around the time of the “Tatu in Podnebesnaya” project, we were irritated by everything and didn’t like anything.

L: So we organized a break.

I: From the side, it seems like you’ve got everything out of your lives. I don’t know how much money you earned, but you have fame, popularity, success like no other Russian artist had… What’s the goal of your current creations?

Y: To make something new.

L: We want to change the world.

I: What do you think, where will the album “shoot” further – here [Russia] or there [USA]?

L: We didn’t think into it.

Y: Here and there. Because the fans are different everywhere.

I: What’s the difference between the fans here and there?

Y: The ones over here are more open. More “on topic”.

L: You have explain everything to the Americans. Here people understand us better and faster.

Source: Gazeta Izvestiya
Translation by katbeidar for TatySite.net

Source: http://www.izvestia.ru/culture/article2619193

Last edited by xena225 on Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 8:12 am
Cada

Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks xena225

Lena denying, and having Yulia lying on her knee does not seem to be a genuince attempt to be convincing.

Trust Yulia to contradict Lena. :lol:

It's their new image. Contradiction. Perhaps CK will re-launch the fragrance and they can be the spokesmodel for it.

So far everything seems to point to Yulia admitting shes bisexual.

+| Hold your breath and count to ten and fall apart and start again |+
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 8:41 am
Troika

Post subject: Re: New Izvestia.ru article [Sep 2] Reply with quote
xena225 wrote:
L (pointing at Yulia): A baby appeared.

AWWWWWWWWWWWW Grin

Great interview, I was suprised at how negative they seemed about 200k, then again I would probably be a little fed up after performing the same routine to the same songs for as long as they did.

Thanks for posting Xena Thumb
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 8:49 am
Amy

Awwww, That was soo sweet. I'm glad they want to get away from the "cheap pop" look, where they're headed suits them better. I love the way Yulia is soo relaxed around Lena, laying her head in her lap.

Thanks to AnimeInu!
Add me to msn if you want! amyporterlisburn@hotmail.com
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 9:06 am
Lux

Cada - LOOL@theCK comment

"we weren't hetero either." LMFAO they are so queer. i can't imagine straight girls speaking of such things, image or not. i love how there are different interpretations of this, all over the place. makes me wonder what people's motives are. thanks xena225

[insert neat sig here]
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 9:09 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cada

Lux wrote:

"we weren't hetero either." LMFAO they are so queer.

are they? aren't they? - mindnumbing at the least!

I think at the end of this all, some of us fans will be singing "Ya soshla s uma" from all the contradictions.

But like Troika said in another thread, it provides some good laughs. We haven't had that in a while Smile

PostFri Sep 02, 2005 9:12 am
Lux

yeah!! yaaa soooshlaaa....

and where is ivan in all of this? no where. first we were all, "IT WAS SHAP'S IDEA THAT NUT" now that he's gone, the girls are still...themselves. perhaps it wasn't ivan's doing to begin with. perhaps he just tagged along to something the girls were perpetuating themselves. perhaps.

[insert neat sig here]
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 9:19 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AllTheThingsSheSaid123

Lux wrote:
yeah!! yaaa soooshlaaa....

and where is ivan in all of this? no where. first we were all, "IT WAS SHAP'S IDEA THAT NUT" now that he's gone, the girls are still...themselves. perhaps it wasn't ivan's doing to begin with. perhaps he just tagged along to something the girls were perpetuating themselves. perhaps.

maybe so.. ya never know

thanks the article Thumb

Lena Katina=hottest girl ever (or one of)

Yulia is a MILF!!
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 11:56 am
Zhulik

Hahaha. "You have to explain everything to the americans"

But yes "not hetero either'

That made me giggle and oddly happy.

Im quite happy to have them back and buying their CD.

Grin
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 12:05 pm
DeletedMemory

Goodness! They never give straight answers do they? Tongue

HEY! 200KM wasn't a cheap pop album! There were great songs in there! Half Frown I'm really disappointed on how they treat an album that made them famous in the first place. Rolleyes Even if they performed it numerous times. Actually come to think of it, they never really sung much of the album except in few countries. *sighs*

Good interview though.

Thanks xena for posting! Thumb
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 12:15 pm
Kristya

I think they meant their image wasn't hetro. They seem close, that's good. Smile
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 12:28 pm
DeletedMemory

^^ Still not a straight answer. Tongue
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 1:05 pm
Anouk

Haha.. That was funny.. Yuls laying on Lena's legs: Noooo we were never lesbians.. But not hetero either Devil

? ????? ???? ????????!! ??? - ??? ??? ??????..
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 1:51 pm
Kristya

c|oudchiisan wrote:

We'll never know with these two and I like it that way.
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 1:56 pm
Troika

c|oudchiisan wrote:

I'm sure there is a joke in there Tongue
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 2:33 pm
DeletedMemory

Troika wrote:
c|oudchiisan wrote:

I'm sure there is a joke in there Tongue

They never take things seriously. Tongue
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 3:03 pm
nunzilla

I: What are you talking about?! That image was cultivated for such a long time...

Y (lifting her head from Lena’s knees, where she lies for most of the interview): We weren’t hetero either.

*ears...er, scratch that, eyes, perk up*

What's this? :eek:

Of course, it can be interpreted in many many ways but...Yulia's admitting to them not being hetero? Exxxxcuuuuseeeee me?

Okay, okay, not making this another are they aren't they thread, I assure you.

Thanks to you Xena225, and the Tatu Fatal Forum for the article. It was...interesting to say the very least.

"L: You have explain everything to the Americans. Here people understand us better and faster."

HEY! I resent that. I didn't ask for an explanation, and neither did a lot of Tatu fans in the US. We simply enjoyed them (and continue to enjoy them) for who they are, what they are about, the music they release...and, okay, those schoolgirl outfits did help a bit.

Nunzilla Wink

PostFri Sep 02, 2005 3:14 pm
t.A.T.u97

Quit confusing us Girls!!

They say the didn't work with anyone they did on the first album, I'm sure Trevor Horn isn't too happy about that...He is such a known name, why did they say that? =s

~Gay for Yulia~
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 3:19 pm
Cada

Perhaps since its a Russian interview they were refering to the Russian album? Trevor Horn didn't work with them on that one.

PostFri Sep 02, 2005 3:31 pm
Bailey

Rofl @ this. They are so cheeky and it's wonderful.

Quote:

Really quite a character shift.....as in the other interview. Lena mentioned she needs someone to ground her occasionally and Yulia has a very realistic, rational look at matters. No offence to many of you but I am glad they are not 'lovers', because in many ways it makes it even better/ special :)

“Tatu in Podnebesnaya” project glad they were debriefed and had creative recouperation. Many performers arent' so lucky (or unlucky if you want to see it that way).

I really like their outlook Wink

Quote:
Y: The ones over here are more open. More “on topic”.

haha, nuff said.
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 4:14 pm
1nfid3lity

^^ agreed.

They don't need to be lovers in my opinion. Their close bond as friends can be just as beautiful.

Quote:
L: You have explain everything to the Americans. Here people understand us better and faster.

:rofl:

Lucky me.

We may have a sh*tty army but at least we understand.
(Maybe, or maybe not...they never actually mentioned Canada. But i'm going to be the optimist here)

The drummers and jugglers in Montreal
Don't even exist at all
So I'm tearing up these tarot cards and Venetians clowns
Antique shops and alcoholic homosexuals
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 4:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nightblue

Thanks for posting this interview, xena225, and thanks to katbeidar for the translation. :thumbsup:

I think this was quite an interesting interview. Good questions were asked, serious answers were given, substantial topics were discussed, and Yulia and Lena were treated like the adults they have become. Thumb Please more interviews like this one, media.
PostFri Sep 02, 2005 7:03 pm
QuieroTatu

great article. No straight answer, but who cares?

teens experiment. The new album is much stronger than the old. they seem to have stripped away the old and revealed a much more mature and confident new self image.
PostSat Sep 03, 2005 12:00 am
fio_18

Post subject: Re: New Izvestia.ru article [Sep 2] Reply with quote
Y: We just wanted to move away from the cheap, stupid pop, that’s all. We’re sick of it.

so move up from pop yeh rigth when all they are nothing but a pop image , anyways i am glad that they are back WITH ANY RITHYM n rock sound!!!! seems cool but they can`t talk trash about pop musik when they were so proud singing their poppy songs AND ALL AB US IS SO POP

L: No. Just friends, not lovers. We never were lovers. We were always really good friends. We are like sisters.
FINALLY ALL CLEAR, HOPE PEOPLE STOP THINKING THAT IT WAS STH BETWEEN THEM IN THE PASS THAT MAY CONTINUE UNTIL NOW ,, (just read the old topics)
PostSat Sep 03, 2005 12:22 am
idioteque

Very cute interview! :D

I love how they're so comfortable with each other, have their own inside jokes, etc....always been that way from what I can tell.

I def. think they HAVE matured musically with this album. I'd say there are a lot more 'rock' moments than 'pop' moments, and they also have a lot of world music as well as 70's and ofcourse 80's inspired songs as well, which is the quintessential Tatu 'sound' thanks to Trevor Horn. I love every aspect of this album.
PostSat Sep 03, 2005 2:40 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
xena225

What’s the goal of your current creations?

:cool: Lena always aiming really high.

I think the Izvestia journalist was asking about the image by the way, about them continuing to play the story of girls-friends-lovers in All About Us, and Lena immediately says that strictly speaking, they never were lesbians - "when you meet your friend, you can hug them, give them a kiss" - but this is not what "All The Things She Said" (and most of the first album) is about. It's not about friendship, it's about love, sexual, romantic love. I think Lena misunderstood the question, like she didn't really hear the question, only "girls-friends-lovers", and got into defensive mode right away. Then Yulia casually reminds her that "We weren’t hetero either" - the context isn't entirely clear at that point, but I love how she puts Lena's words into perspective, how relaxed she is about it, to me it even sounds a bit like they had that conversation before. Smile Oh well.

xena225
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 9:57 am
nunzilla

^^^

Yeah, I understand what you're saying Xena225. I only wish I had the opportunity to listen to the audio with a good understanding of Russian. To be able to hear what words Yulia was stressing might actually help a bit in what she meant by that statement. And definitely, the original album was not about good friends having a fun time, while still managing to be happy heteros. It was, to me, about need, about love, and about the elements in one's life that try to tear that all away. Rebellion against those elements and embracing who you are completely.

They may have not revolutionized the world, but they sure made an impression on me. And whether or not their private lives mirror their public isn't a concern anymore. But I'll be honest when I say...

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

Nunzilla Grin

PostSun Sep 04, 2005 10:22 am
xena225

nunzilla wrote:
^^^

Yeah, I understand what you're saying Xena225. I only wish I had the opportunity to listen to the audio with a good understanding of Russian. To be able to hear what words Yulia was stressing might actually help a bit in what she meant by that statement.

Yeah, that's why I loved the radio interview (Europa Plus), you know, you could hear the inflections, it was all on the spur of the moment, no editing involved - it doesn't get any better than that. Smile A newspaper interview can always be edited, things can be left out or re-arranged, you don't hear them actually say it (tone of voice does convey meaning as well), but if you listen to them live on the radio or see them on television, that's a whole different ball-game.

xena225
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 10:44 am
bed head

Quote:
I: By the looks for your first music video that I saw, "All About Us", you continue to play the story of girls-fiends-lovers…

Ohhhh!!! I'm so sick of interviewers still trying to bring up the lesbian topic. no one cares anymore. that was like, five thousand years ago.

-bed Smile

One Beat - Sleater-Kinney
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 12:28 pm
Madonna

Thanks for the article!!!
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 2:39 pm
Jam_One

t.A.T.u97 wrote:
...They say the didn't work with anyone they did on the first album, I'm sure Trevor Horn isn't too happy about that...He is such a known name, why did they say that? =s

I believe, they thought of their Russian management while telling that - it's correct, the whole management has changed since the days of the first album "200 po vstrechnoi"... Except for Boris Rensky, who's now their producer.
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 4:57 pm
Fox

Wow, that was awesome, thanks Xena! Thumb

Good to hear from them again, they seem to be back on track with some in-your-face truths and some playful word games... Seems like they've also matured, or maybe it's just me? Tongue
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 5:10 pm
scotfan

Good to see the 'attitude' back . . . cheap, stupid pop . . things have to be explained to Americans. Grin

But . . . All About Us is like Doh Ray Me by Abba (with boots on). Very pop. I love it. It's . . . poptastic. Going straight to No1, pop pickers. Smile
PostMon Sep 05, 2005 12:30 pm
the king of sting

Quote:
things have to be explained to Americans. Grin

The cold war ain't over, it's just on hiatus........... Grin
The Tajik in space was the best one. Apparently he's been in the Soyuz since 1990 but when the USSR broke up responsibility for getting him back passed to Tajikistan, which could not afford it. However he's been paid ever since and now has USD 100,000,000 in his space account. He can't spend it until he hires a ship to get him down, which he will do if you activate his bank account...
PostMon Sep 05, 2005 12:32 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: