:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
rockin' on (Japan): Interview with t.A.T.u.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xena225

Post subject: rockin' on (Japan): Interview with t.A.T.u. Reply with quote
I found this interview on the Tatu.Fatal.ru forum where it was posted by sexylady55, here: http://www.tatu.fatal.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=3464

Quote:
ďWe are ourselves. Thatís something that hasnít changed.Ē
Birth, their break from that sly old fox Ivan, and the new album
The Renaissance of t.A.T.u.!

Interviewer: Takuya Furukawa
Interpreter: Miho Suzuki

As we reported in the Character of the Month feature in last monthís rockiní on, t.A.T.u. have returned. They have at last got off and running ahead of the October 5th release of their second album ďDangerous and MovingĒ. This is an exclusive interview that we were eventually able to secure after our staff stuck close by the duo during their video shoot in LA. Initially, we were told that we would be able to talk to them immediately during the breaks in filming somewhere, but this shoot, during which two videos were ultimately filmed, involved working around the clock for three days. As is characteristic of t.A.T.u., the schedule for the interview was gradually pushed back further and further, but our staff stayed close at hand and were eventually able to talk to the more sedate duo on the fourth day, once filming had ended.

The two girls, who created a sensation with a variety of scandals, such as their sudden cancellations in Japan, their almost-empty Tokyo Dome concert, the attitude of their former producer Ivan, and Yuliaís birth, spoke candidly to us about those scandals. In the previous edition, Yoichiro Yamasaki (Editor-in-Chief of rockiní on) described their first single ďAll About UsĒ as, ďA straightforward message song from the Ďabandoned generationíĒ and this was an interview in which this essence of their words may be able to be perceived unexpectedly well. Normally, Yulia hardly speaks during interviews in English, but this time we were able to secure the services of a Russian interpreter. The air around the table was filled with words in Russian and English as the two girls answered very earnestly.

rockin' on = R
Yulia = Y
Lena = L

R: Yulia, youíve had a baby, havenít you? Congratulations! Weíre delighted that both mother and baby are doing well.
Y: Yeah, thanks.

R: Whatís wrong? Wasnít the birth one of the most important experiences of your life?
Y: Thatís true Ė my viewpoint on things has changed a lot. Firstly, Iíve become more responsible and when you have a baby at home, there are various things that you have to do for the baby, but at the same time all these emotions that Iíve never felt before have welled up inside me.

R: Do you feel that this has had some kind of effect when you sing your new songs?
Y: Yes, I do. I think my approach to the songs has changed. New sensations have emerged, like gentleness and softness.

R: Lena, while Yulia was pregnant, you did various things on your own. During this time, were you absorbed in anything particular?
L: I carried on studying at the university. Iím in my last year at university now. Apart from university, I spent time with my friends and family.

R: When did discussions about making your second album as t.A.T.u. begin in earnest? How did you each feel when you heard about that?
L: No, thatís not right Ė nobody told us to make a second album.
Y: We decided to make it.
L: Yes, the two of us discussed it and we began making it when we thought we were ready to get started on the recording.

R: So, when did you actually begin recording, then?
Y: In January this year.
L: We were planning the second album before that, but we actually got the ball rolling in January.

R: But before that, your old producer, Ivan Shapovalov, left you, didnít he?
L: We left him.
Y: Well, it wasnít so much that one left the other, rather that we decided to split up with each other, because our opinions began to differ and there was no longer any need to carry on working together. But even now we still talk to Ivan and meet him, and weíre still good friends.

R: Who are the key staff members who support you in this sense now? Has Boris Rensky (who was with them the whole time during the video shoot), who is credited as executive producer on your album, taken on the work that Ivan used to do?
Y: Boris is our manager. We donít have a producer like Ivan now. The overall production, not just the music, is done by us and we have various people supporting us in those areas as well.

R: So you two have the power of decision when you have to decide something.
L: Yes, we do it.

R: Thatís great.
Y&L: Yes!

R: So your second album ďDangerous and MovingĒ is going to be released. How was it, singing songs that various songwriters had written for you?
Y: It was great fun.
L: Yes, I think we were able to put all our souls and energy into making this album, and it was the best feeling.

R: How many songs did Trevor Horn produce on this album? Just ďCravingĒ?
Y: Yes, just the one song.
L: But itís always amazing to work with him. Heís easy to work with and a really lovely person.

R: Who wrote the single ďAll About UsĒ
Y: A number of people wrote itÖ.but I forget who.
L: It was some American songwriters. The song ďAll About UsĒ.

R: Including the content of the lyrics, doesnít this song honestly express your feelings right now?
Y: Yes, thatís right. But itís not just about us, itís a song that includes you, and him, and everyone.
L: Itís a song thatís applicable to everyone in the world, I think.

R: I see. As you sing at the beginning of this song, youíve been the focus of criticism, but how do you feel about that?
L: We donít take any notice of the t.A.T.u.-bashing. Everyone has their own different opinions, you see.
J: I mean, everyone was complimenting us, saying ďYulia and Lena are cute, theyíre prettyĒ, but behind our backs, various people were saying nasty things, like ďLenaís not prettyĒ and ďYuliaís fatĒ. But that doesnít matter.

R: But didnít you get depressed about being criticized?
Y: No, we rise above it!
L: We donít get depressed about things like that.
Y: In fact, it makes us stronger.

R: Do you think this strength is a national characteristic unique to Russia?
Y: UmmmÖI donít think itís so much that Russians are strong, rather that weíre more relaxed. We donít get bothered about trivial things.
L: And we say exactly what weíre thinking.

R: Japanese people tend to speak after theyíve thought about what theyíre going to say, and I certainly think that you are a lot more open compared with that.
Y: Yeah, I think weíre open.
L: We definitely donít think before we speak.

R: You came to Japan in December 2003 to do some concerts, but the Tokyo Dome was pretty empty, which was partly due to the uproar over the sudden cancellations. But the concerts themselves were superb.
Y: [seems pleased] Thanks!
L: Thanks.

R: Besides the superficial scandals, do you think you have inside you an awareness of yourselves as artists and performers getting by through your own efforts?
L: We are just ourselves. Donít think of us as scandalous beings or performers, we are just being our natural selves. Itís like I was saying before Ė itís ďAll About UsĒ, like our first single. We are not doing anything special. We are just doing what we want to.

R: At the beginning, when you were performing the songs from your first album, you used to kiss and embrace on stage, but do you think that the concept of sex has a big role to play in t.A.T.u. now?
Y: Ummm, before that might have been the caseÖbut that wasnít everything, you know.
L: Sex didnít play a big part.
Y: What we want everyone to know is that the lyrics of our songs arenít talking about our actual lives. Whatís important, first of all, is us, and then the music; we really donít see ourselves as lesbians.
L: And weíre not lesbians, you know. We just love each other.

R: Well, if thatís the case, what do you think is the biggest concept that dominates t.A.T.u. now?
Y&L: [in unison] We donít have a concept!
Y: We are ourselves.
L: Thatís all.
Y: Thatís something that hasnít changed. Before we released the first album and since then, we have been our natural selves and have been doing what we want to. There were various things before, but they are in the past now and we are now who we are now. Everythingís cool now.
L: Even before now, we were ourselves, but if there is a difference, itís that we feel we have more freedom now.

R: So do you think that by being yourselves in this way, you are giving listeners the message ďBe yourselfĒ?
L: Yes, ďBeing yourselfĒ is whatís at the very heart of t.A.T.u., I think. Because many people want to be someone else and arenít true to themselves. Thatís not good. I want everyone to be their true selves, not try to be someone else. I want them to be themselves, without worrying about other peopleís opinions, and feel happy and become free.
Y: I think it would be great if everyone could listen to our new album ďDangerous and MovingĒ and become more relaxed.
L: I think it could become the opportunity to think about things.

R: What are your thoughts about your lives in the future?
Y: We donít have any plans, but we have various ideas and we want to do various things other than music.

R: Lena, you said that you wanted to retire at 27. Do you still feel the same?
L: No, even I donít know what Iíll do in the future. It might be when Iím 28, it might be when Iím 30, it might be when Iím 25. I donít know.
Y: Me neither! [laughs]
L: [laughing] You canít plan for the future. The things you think today could completely change by tomorrow.

R: OK, finally, what do you have to say to people who reckon that t.A.T.u. is already behind the times?
L: Everyone has different opinions, so I donít give a toss. The people who like us listen to our music. Those who donít, donít. Thatís fine.

R: What about you, Yulia?
Y: I feel the same. Who cares!

R: Iíd like to ask you one last thing. Even now, your Japanese fans still donít know what actually happened to make you suddenly cancel your live TV appearance. So what did happen?
L: We donít want to talk about that. Itís in the past and letís just forget it. Letís not think about the past; letís think about whatís ahead. But I just want to say this: we love our fans and we love Japan, and we really want to go to Japan again and play there.

big thank you to LenochkaO from tatysite net.

Thank you to LenochkaO and sexylady55. Thumb

Xena225
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 9:08 am
Tsui

Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks!!! That was a nice interview! Thumb
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 9:28 am
Yulias_Angel

Thumb Nice. N 4 once, I think I understand em.

Thx 2 KARO!!!!!! :D

:kiss: ALENA WUV'S ME!! Hug
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 9:55 am
Origin

Did i read correctly... did Lena say 'I donít give a toss'?
She sounds like a proper Cockney.
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 10:02 am
LenochkaO

Origin wrote:

It was a translation from the Japanese and that particular expression seemed to be the most appropriate approximation in English Wink
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 10:31 am
xena225

LenochkaO wrote:
It was a translation from the Japanese and that particular expression seemed to be the most appropriate approximation in English Wink

Thank you for that translation, LenochkaO, and welcome to the forum!
Good to see you here. :wave:

xena225
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 11:03 am
Troika

That was the best recent interview they have done imo.

Great post Thumb
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 11:10 am
brokenheart

great thank you alot

did you notice,,,they always deny in funnyway
Grin

Y: What we want everyone to know is that the lyrics of our songs arenít talking about our actual lives. Whatís important, first of all, is us, and then the music; we really donít see ourselves as lesbians.
L: And weíre not lesbians, you know. We just love each other

god,,,lol....we are not lesbains WE JUST LOVE EACH OTHER,,,,,,,,,,, Wink Wink
yeh yeh lena i kno what do you mean, i say that too,,,,wen somebody wonder,,,,i say ,i just love her,,and i am not a les@@@!!!

people can take everything away from you. but they can never take AWAY your TRUTH!!
but the qeustion is ....... CAN YOU HANDLE MINE??!!>>>>>>>>>>>.I LOVE LENAKATINA PRETTY MUCH
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 11:52 am
DeletedMemory

Bwahaha.. Maybe I should say that to my parents.. "I'm not a lesbian mom, I just love girls so much!" Hmmm laugh

Anyhow, thanks for posting xena! That was really good interview. This time, they really took the time to answer properly with what they really think(and I thought russians don't think before they speak? Tongue )and feel also they didn't play with the questions, that they usually do. Maybe because the interviewer asked good questions too. Smile

And yeah, past is past. Let's give them a brand new start. The one without Ivan and let's see how it goes. Thumb
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 12:41 pm
Cada

It's good to see that they had a few opportunities to slag Ivan off or pin the blame for past events (cancellations etc) on him, but they didn't.

Shows a certain level of maturity and grace to me. Very nice.

Thanks xena225 for bringing it here and Lenochka0 for translating!

+| Hold your breath and count to ten and fall apart and start again |+
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 3:08 pm
AllTheThingsSheSaid123

c|oudchiisan wrote:
Bwahaha.. Maybe I should say that to my parents.. "I'm not a lesbian mom, I just love girls so much!" Hmmm laugh

HAHAHA I should do the same lol

Thanks veryyyy much for posting i agree with whoever said thats the best recent interview they've done so far.

Lena Katina=hottest girl ever (or one of)

Yulia is a MILF!!
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 3:37 pm
Origin

LenochkaO wrote:
Origin wrote:

Lol ahh i see, thanks alot. That would've been histerical. ;o
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 3:55 pm
LenochkaO

xena225 wrote:

Thank you for that translation, LenochkaO, and welcome to the forum!
Good to see you here. :wave:

xena225

Cheers, xena - good to see you too!
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 7:46 pm
seanbertiger

i cant believe that they dont know who wrote All About US. They should know this stuff! Its like a celebrity wearing a gorgeous dress on the Oscar red carpet and when they are asked who designed it they dont know
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 7:46 pm
t.A.T.u97

Quote:

L: And weíre not lesbians, you know. We just love each other

That infamous line that was repeated throughout America, as well as across the world. Maybe they won't kiss, but they will always give us the hint they are lovers. Sexy

~Gay for Yulia~
PostTue Sep 06, 2005 8:41 pm
Nightblue

Thanks for posting the interview, xena225, and thanks for the translation, LenochkaO. :thumbsup:

Quote:
This is an exclusive interview that we were eventually able to secure after our staff stuck close by the duo during their video shoot in LA. Initially, we were told that we would be able to talk to them immediately during the breaks in filming somewhere, but this shoot, during which two videos were ultimately filmed, involved working around the clock for three days. As is characteristic of t.A.T.u., the schedule for the interview was gradually pushed back further and further, but our staff stayed close at hand and were eventually able to talk to the more sedate duo on the fourth day, once filming had ended.

Quote:
Normally, Yulia hardly speaks during interviews in English, but this time we were able to secure the services of a Russian interpreter.

These Japanese journalists have made quite an effort, but it has absolutely paid off, because the interview has become excellent, one of the best with t.A.T.u. I've read sofar. The relaxed and open atmosphere must have made an important contribution to this result: reading the interview I could almost feel the 'good vibrations'. Smile
PostWed Sep 07, 2005 6:35 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: