:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
Kommersant.ru: Yulia Volkova: We Want Red Square [Oct 31]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xena225

Post subject: Kommersant.ru: Yulia Volkova: We Want Red Square [Oct 31] Reply with quote
There's another very interesting interview with Lena and Yulia on Kommersant.ru, here:
http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.html?DocID=622426&IssueId=23548

Here's my translation (to the best of my knowledge). Thank you again to my friend Lena for her invaluable help. :)

Quote:
Yulia Volkova: We Want Red Square
No.205/? (No 3289) ?? 31.10.2005, ??

Before the presentation of the album BORIS BARABANOV met with t.A.T.u. in the office of the company Universal. YULIA VOLKOVA told the correspondent about the subtleties of management. The second participant of the duet, LENA KATINA, tried not to interrupt the friend.

- You say that you've become producers yourselves?

- In the past Vanya Shapovalov was with us who solved both political and creative questions. Now that Vanya is no longer there, we certainly have a manager, I'm not gonna negotiate with tour organizers about how much our concerts cost, or carry on negotiations with our record-label. There is the company T.A.Music, which Boris Rensky (co-producer and the first investor of t.A.T.u.), and Lena and I belong to. We have a PR-manager, we have a secretary, we have a heap of people, but nobody makes any decisions without telling us about it. Everyone consults us. We also began to work in sound production ourselves.

- You turned buttons in the studio?

- Yes, we supervised the vocal recordings ourselves, selected parts for the album. Vanya did this before.

- Let's talk about those people who helped you. The manager of the company Interscope Martin Kierszenbaum brought Sting to the studio.

- Not just that. Martin also helped us with pronunciation, he generally conducts negotiations on behalf of t.A.T.u. on the international market. Together with the label, he involved Dave Stewart, Richard Carpenter in the record. In this case, Sting recorded in New York, and we in Los Angeles, therefore the bass-guitar in the song "Friend or Foe" was recorded separately.

- As I understand, he was involved for publicity purposes?

- No, that's not true. We did not really choose Sting, we were simply asked: "Girls, do you want Sting to play for you? " Why not? He could in fact very well have said: "Why should I help these girls? Who are they anyway?" No, he did this with pleasure, said that he wanted to get to know us in the future. Now we have recorded a clip for this song, but Sting is not present in it, our new musicians are filmed there: the drummer, the guitarist and the keyboard player.

- Are they Americans?

- They from are Slovenia, Germany and Australia, but everyone has lived and worked in Los Angeles already for many years. Roman, Sven and Troy, very professional guys. Each of them has their own group. We hired them ourselves, they are completely ours, we are together every evening. Despite many castings with musicians in Moscow, we couldn't find their equals.

- In what way are our musicians fundamentally different from the ones in the West?

- In the desire to work. These guys want to work, they are professionals. Each day they have rehearsals. They want that everything will be better. But Russians, what is it with Russians... Russians need to booze, Russians need to party...

- As far as I know, a photo-session for your album was made by singer Bryan Adams.

- Yes, he photographed us in his house in Paris. As a photographer, he is very professional. The photo-session was trash, half-dirty, half-tattered. That was his idea. I think, of all who photographed us, he is the best.

- Did you talk about musical things with him?

- We sang, danced with him, jumped, shouted, laughed...

- From the Russian authors who recorded the first album with you, now, as I understand, Victor [sic!] Polienko and Sergey Galoyan worked with you again?

- Polienko - our most favourite writer, there is no other like him, we cherish him very much. Galoyan also made some tracks.

- He is probably an expensive writer now. He lives in London, he says that he writes for Jennifer Lopez...

- Oh, who does he write for... He does not write for Jennifer Lopez.

- Did they agree easily?

- Well, how else? It does not happen any other way with us. You do not want it - good-bye.

- Tell us, please, what Russian now remains in t.A.T.u.?

- We are Russian, we speak Russian. For us Moscow is always on the first place. Families are here, friends, my daughter is here.

- When you appeared at the MUZ TV Awards this year, I have to admit, I had the feeling that you did not care at all for the local public.

- We had arrived from America one day before. We were tired, besides the time difference affected us. We did not wish to perform anywhere, neither on the "First Channel" nor on "MUZ TV", nowhere. But they simply begged us. Everybody called.

- Will you tour?

- Yes, in the spring. It will be the big show with which we shall tour across Europe, to America. And we will perform in Russia.

- Where?

- We want Red Square.

- You are rather young girls, but around you so much has happened in the last five years... Is there something you regret? Maybe the story with the image of young lesbians?

- We don't regret anything. In general, it is never necessary to regret anything, whatever happens. Whatever you plan, things turn out differently anyway. It is simply not necessary to make illusions for yourself. There was no image. We always behave the way we want to.

- Is it possible to replace one of you in this project?

- If one of us is replaced, this will no longer be t.A.T.u. We are irreplaceable. And besides the name t.A.T.u. belongs to our company. Everything is serious with us.

Source: http://www.kommersant.ru/doc.html?DocID=622426&IssueId=23548
Translated by
xena225 (tatu.us)

Thank you to Night from the Russian tatu.ru forum for pointing this interview out. Thumb

xena225

Last edited by xena225 on Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 9:28 am
rocks88

Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks xena Smile Dam so say in Australia.

I guess they don't want come here.
PostTue Nov 01, 2005 10:17 am
xena225

I have now added the translation of the interview to my first post. Thanks again to Lena for her help. Hug :thumbsup:

Hope you like it.

xena225
PostThu Nov 03, 2005 10:43 am
Anouk

Yay a tour!! Yay a tour!!

*Starts saving up shitloads of cash to support my t.A.T.u. tour*

Yes.. I'll have to tour also since there's very little chance they'll come to Holland - which is full of t.A.T.u. haters except for me and a few others.. Tongue Ohh, maybe they can do a private concert for their bestest fan in Holland: MOI Thumb

? ????? ???? ????????!! ??? - ??? ??? ??????..
PostThu Nov 03, 2005 10:50 am
Maraja

Anouk wrote:
*Starts saving up shitloads of cash to support my t.A.T.u. tour*

Me too! Definitely! I think... can't go... there... but Tatu concert... is better.
PostThu Nov 03, 2005 1:02 pm
RowerB

Thanks for the translation, xena225 and Lena and thanks to Night.
PostThu Nov 03, 2005 2:33 pm
Tsui

^Yeah, thanks!!

That was nice to read.
PostThu Nov 03, 2005 4:15 pm
ElectraCute

Possibly one of the best interviews ever. xena, thanks for the translation and thanks to your friend Lena Thumb
Quote:
but nobody makes any decisions without telling us about it. Everyone consults us. We also began to work in sound production ourselves.

- You turned buttons in the studio?

- Yes, we supervised the vocal recordings ourselves, selected parts for the album. Vanya did this before.

Good to know that Yulia and Lena seem to be in charge of their own careers.

Quote:
- Yes, in the spring. It will be the big show with which we shall tour across Europe

Canít wait to see them. Now!

"Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow"
PostSat Nov 05, 2005 9:29 pm
TaTy_DuDe

XD a t.A.T.O.U.r. I wanna go with them *sneaks into lenas suitcase*
PostSun Nov 06, 2005 9:04 am
Nightblue

Another good interview in which Yulia and Lena are approached as grown-ups. Smile Thanks, xena225, your friend Lena, and Night. Thumb
PostSun Nov 06, 2005 5:01 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: