:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
Perfect Ten 98.7FM (Singapore) t.A.T.u. Interview.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N+G

Post subject: Perfect Ten 98.7FM (Singapore) t.A.T.u. Interview. Reply with quote
Hey all. Here's the transcript of the Perfect Ten 98.7FM (Singapore) t.A.T.u. Interview that aired on Wednesday 21 Dec 05. Sorry I'm unable to provide an audio file to it, but here's the interview to the best of my ability.

[The DJ narrated to the listeners the interview and also provided the interview itself. So the one in italics is the narration and the one not, is the interview.]

Weeks ago, a couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to go to Taiwan, Taipei to watch t.A.T.u. in concert. Plus I’ve got to meet the girls. You see, the thing is, in Taiwan, t.A.T.u. are really quite popular, really big sellers there. They’ve got their new album out, Dangerous and Moving, big sellers there so that’s why they were in Taipei to play as part of a big Mandopop concert. They’re one of the headlining acts. So one day, I got to go to the hotel Formosa (sp?) which is in central Taipei to meet the girls. Lena was dressed in plain shirt, jeans, with her red hair … she’s pretty and Julia was in this real bad-ass, leather … and sexy red top. I like, I like.
So what you’re gonna hear in this interview, it’s gonna be in two parts, you’re gonna hear a lot of talking from Lena. You see, Lena the red-haired one, speaks English very very very well. Julia however, does not so so only sometimes we hear Julia’s husky sexy voice come in. So for the most part it’s Lena talking to me. She was a very very pleasant girl, very very nice to talk to.
So as I said, the album Dangerous and Moving is out. We’re playing their tracks here on 98.7 Friend or Foe as well as All About Us. But there’s a track that seems to be always better than those two it’s called Gomenasai. You should get the album just to hear that song it’s like my favorite in the whole thing. Interesting, the story behind it I think, I’m not entirely sure, but Gomenasai is of course the Japanese word for “sorry”. t.A.T.u. are no strangers to controversy, in Japan they caused a lot of controversy. A couple of years ago, they sorta acted a bit like divas in Japan, Japan is the biggest music-buying society in the world, well t.A.T.u. went there and they stormed off a show, like a very popular show, and they cancelled some gigs … really bad feelings. The Japanese did not want them there. There was a lot of controversy. I think things are better now. I think the girls have sort of calmed down a little bit, maybe because Japan is the biggest music-buying society! But I wanted to ask a little about that first of all, so I asked them about Gomenasai my favorite track in the album and where does it come from.

DJ: I really like Gomenasai. Are you saying sorry to anyone in particular? Each other?
Lena: No, we just love it. Love this song, love this word.
DJ: The Japanese word?
Lena: Yup.
DJ: So have you been to Japan recently?
Lena: Yup.
DJ: When was the last time you went there?
Lena: Months ago? Two months ago? Yeah we like it very much. People are amazing and the culture and all that kind of stuff.
DJ: Where is your favorite place to go in the world, when you tour?
Yulia: (no hesitation) Moscow.
Lena: Yeap. Moscow’s the best (laughs). No, we like to go everywhere because everywhere we have our fans and um … and most importantly for us are the fans and we’re really happy to meet them, to speak with them, to play shows and … right now we’re playing just like a short show, to present our new album and so on and so forth. We still have lots of fans coming to this presentation and they’re just giving us love and smiles and energy so that’s great.
DJ: I’m from Singapore. Do you know Singapore?
Lena: Yeah. I’ve been there. For my Asia Awards.
DJ: What do you think of Singapore?
Lena: Very beautiful. I didn’t see much cos from the airplane I went straight to the hotel I had like, fifteen minutes there, went straight to the awards, and very early in the morning I left again for Moscow so it was just like for twelve hours I was in Singapore. In general, Moscow culture, like music culture, Moscow show business, Russian show business … (then I can’t make out what she said - N+G) which is unfortunately (can’t make out what she said - N+G).
DJ: Unfortunately? You don’t like?
Lena: No, I like sometimes but not when everybody’s quite similar, and everybody repeats everybody.
Yulia: In Moscow, very similar.
Lena: Yeah. That sucks.
DJ: Are you famous in Russia?
Lena: Yes.
DJ: Are you like, one of the most famous acts?
Lena: Yes.
DJ: Do you like that? Do you like to be famous? Is that the way you always wanted?
Lena: We like that, we enjoy that. That’s our life.
DJ: What’s the downside? What’s the bad points?
Lena: Bad points … I think, not really bad points. Sometimes it’s just hard to understand if you’re a friend or a foe.
DJ: I see. How fitting.

Friend or Foe plays on air.

That’s Friend or Foe by t.A.T.u. you’re listening to 98.7 and I’m just about to play for you the second part of my exclusive interview with t.A.T.u. Now the last track you heard was Friend or Foe. The girls, Lena and Julia most certainly are friends. Whenever they’re sitting on the couch when I was interviewing them they’re like holding hands the whole time. Of course in their career they have a very strong sorta of a lesbian image behind them. But I feel though, the holding hands thing is just a very protective … girl sisterly thing going on. You can kinda sense that whenever you sit with them. But of course the lesbian image thing is a big big point about t.A.T.u. I mean, for most people, that’s what they think of when they think of t.A.T.u. Tragically, they’re not lesbians. No. Because of umm … let me think, Lena has a boyfriend and Julia actually has a child. Julia has a little baby girl. So unfortunately, no lesbianism there.
From the press conference we attended first of all, it was very very clear from the girls, I’m sure they’ve been asked a million times about it, it was very clear that they didn’t want to talk about this whole lesbian image that kind of thing. But the whole thing about t.A.T.u. is that they’re very much an image. So I wanted to ask a little about that but they got a little defensive when I interviewed them on that. So have a listen to this.

DJ: Have you changed your image for this album? Has it changed?
Lena: We have no image. That’s not image. That’s how we are. That’s who we are. That’s how we want to be.
DJ: What are your music influences? Do you listen to … who’s your favorite bands? Who’s your favorite groups?
Lena: We don’t have favorite bands. And no influences. Cos if somebody were to have influences on you, you’ll be like somebody else, you’ll be similar. So we’re trying to stay individual and that’s why most of the people say that we’re different from everyone else. We like every style of music, pop and rock, and rap and sometimes classical.
DJ: So you both play the piano?
Lena: Ya.
Yulia: Yeah.
DJ: Do you write songs at home, yourself?
Yulia: No we write sometimes music we write. But not for our album.
Lena: I’m not writing music. She’s writing music. We write both lyrics, like poems. But that’s just only for us. Cos we have lots of really cool and great ensemble of composers and lyrics writers who we think, could do better than we can. So we’re just choosing the right lyrics and right music for us which is really close which will be pretty much of biographic. We can say that this album is of a biographic album. So we’re singing about the problems that bothers us, we’re singing about our feelings, we’re expressing our feelings. Just putting ourselves and all the emotions and what we have.
DJ: What are your interests outside of music? So you play the piano …
Lena: … finish music school, sometimes we participate in some sports, hang out with my friends, to cinemas, to restaurants, to spend my time with my family. And Yulia spending her time with her daughter and family …
Yulia: Special people, yeah.
DJ: So a question on your baby, how has that changed your life’s philosophy?
Yulia: I’m not changed.
DJ: No?
Yulia: Everybody else change.
Lena: We never change. (laughs) She’s the same.
Yulia: Yeah. I’m still the same.
DJ: Really? Has it changed you?
Yulia: Change, maybe I start more serious, more (says something in Russian) …
Lena: Responsible.
Yulia: Responsible, yeah. But more.
DJ: Tell me what is t.A.T.u.? What is the meaning of the word t.A.T.u.?
Yulia: Just t.A.T.u. Nothing.
DJ: There’s no meaning behind it?
Yulia: No.
Lena: t.A.T.u. is Lena and Julia.
DJ: Okay, but like (spells it out) T A T U?
Lena: (insisting) Lena and Julia.
DJ: That’s all?
Lena: Ya. All about us. (Yulia laughs)

All About Us plays on air.

That's it for the interview.

With a heart that's beating louder than my own, I watch a woman that I know to atone for a sin I didn't care for.
Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand.
PostSat Dec 24, 2005 1:39 am
RowerB

Post subject: Reply with quote
That’s a good one. Thanks for the transcript, nonplussing girl.
PostSat Dec 24, 2005 2:25 am
DeViLiSh YuLiA!

Yeah, that was an interesting interview. Thanks nonplussing girl. Smile

YulSic lovin' ^^
You are the strength, that keeps me walking.
You are the hope, that keeps me trusting.You are

the light, to my soul. You are my purpose..you're everything
PostSat Dec 24, 2005 3:22 am
alexis

Wow, thanks a lot, nonplussing girl. Thumb

If I forget him, I may become like the grown-ups. Who knows the cost of everything but not the value of things - Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Le Petit Prince)
PostSat Dec 24, 2005 4:07 am
AllTheThingsSheSaid123

very cool

thanks for posting!! Thumb

Lena Katina=hottest girl ever (or one of)

Yulia is a MILF!!
PostSat Dec 24, 2005 2:31 pm
CTU

DJ: Really? Has it changed you?
Yulia: Change, maybe I start more serious, more (says something in Russian) …
Lena: Responsible.
Yulia: Responsible, yeah. But more.
- Lol Id like to seee that ...... Yulia responsible.... but then again I suppose she has calmed down abit over the last year Thumb Devil

"Life is an endless struggle full of frustrations and challenges, but eventually you find a hairstyle you like." ~ Yulia Volkova
*Thanx to Prostie_Dvigenia for Avatar & Nikitsa K 4 banner*
PostSat Dec 24, 2005 3:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xena225

Thank you very much, nonplussing girl! Thumb Wave

Very interesting... Hmmmm, Yulia writes music, and both write lyrics... Hmmmmm. *rubs chin pensively* Popa Bigups

xena225
PostSat Dec 24, 2005 8:13 pm
Kristya

Thanks! I hope we see some of their lyrics soon. I love the way Lena writes in her diary and Yulia is just too cute.
PostSat Dec 24, 2005 11:03 pm
Like You

Quote:
DJ: Tell me what is t.A.T.u.? What is the meaning of the word t.A.T.u.?
Yulia: Just t.A.T.u. Nothing.
DJ: There’s no meaning behind it?
Yulia: No.
Lena: t.A.T.u. is Lena and Julia.
DJ: Okay, but like (spells it out) T A T U?
Lena: (insisting) Lena and Julia.
DJ: That’s all?
Lena: Ya. All about us. (Yulia laughs)

They must not have liked that guy, I don't see why they wouldn't tell them what t.A.T.u means.

Thank you nonplussing girl

ChynaFan

Lena Katina... Beauty.Perfection.Talent.

RIP Chelsea you were the best dog ever!!
PostSun Dec 25, 2005 7:49 am
DeViLiSh YuLiA!

^No...I don't think they disliked him. I think if they told him t.A.T.u means 'this girl loves that girl' then he may go into further questions about lesbianism between them. Tongue They have informed everyone that they are only close friends now and not lesbians. Hope I got my point across...

YulSic lovin' ^^
You are the strength, that keeps me walking.
You are the hope, that keeps me trusting.You are

the light, to my soul. You are my purpose..you're everything
PostSun Dec 25, 2005 6:34 pm
AnimeInu

^Good point! I was actually thinking that myself Smile

That was a good interview, thanks for posting! Thumb

PostSun Dec 25, 2005 8:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: