:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
Centre of Controversy [teens Magazine, Singapore Feb 2006]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexis

Post subject: Centre of Controversy [teens Magazine, Singapore Feb 2006] Reply with quote
Centre of Controversy [teens Magazine, Singapore Feb 2006] By Evelyn Mak

The “are-they-or-are-they-not” girls from t.a.t.u. are at it again!

If you’d thought motherhood and becoming a university student would have mellowed down the fiery characters of Russian girl group members Lena Katina (21) and Julia Volkova (20), think again.
T.a.t.u.’s claim to fame came in 2002, when their onstage kisses and overall saucy behaviour caught the attention of audience and media alike, rocketing them to super-stardom in much of Europe and Asia. But along with that came a huge reputation as difficult-to-handle divas - remember the fiasco in Japan, where they stalked off one of the biggest “live” music programmes in the country, and cancelled a showcase in Tokyo?
Fast-forward to present day, when the girls have emerged after two years of living out of the limelight. Things have changed quite a bit in their lives. Lena’s now a psychology student in University, while Julia’s fulfilled her lifelong dream of becoming a mother with a one-year baby girl. But none of this dampened their desire to meet up with their fans once again. So after six months of slogging in the studios in LA, t.a.t.u presented us with Dangerous and Moving, a follow up of their debut album 200km/h in the Wrong Lane.
Making their sole Asian stop in Taipei, Universal Music flew teens up to the bustling city for a chat with the girls, as well as to watch their explosive performance at the V Power Concert for Channel V.
The girls arrived in Taipei after a 30-hour flight from South America (they’ve been on the road for over two months!), but not without many mishaps. First, Julia had a visa problem and missed her flight. Then all of Lena’s luggage ended up getting lost in Europe, and the poor girl had no clothes to wear! But they soldiered on despite the troubles, eager to disprove their diva reputation to media from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Korea and Singapore at the press conference.
But the highlights came the next day, when we got the chance to speak to Lena and Julia alone, quizzing them about their music. With both of them still visibly tired and Lena, with a stronger command of English, answering most of the questions, we managed to find out about what they wanted to tell the world about their new album, and even discovered that Lena is a die-hard romantic!

Teens: Have you had a good rest after the visa and luggage fiasco?
Lena: No, We’re a little better, but still very tired.

It’s been a tiring two months for you so far - you’ve been to Europe, South America, and now Taiwan on this trip. What interesting things have you experienced?
Lena: We started off in Italy, before going to South America, and now Taiwan. It’s been very interesting, because we’d never been to South America before this, and it’s also our first time in Taiwan.
Julia: It’s a pity that we don’t have time to explore - all we see is the airport, and then the hotel, to do more and more interviews. Then we get on an aeroplane, and fly to another country.
Lena: Yes, it’s a real shame.
Julia: But we like it because we’ve met so many nice people. And our fans have been great.

It’s been two years since you were on the road. Has it been tough adapting back to life as a popstar?
Lena: it’s been a little difficult in the beginning, because it’s so nice to just relax and enjoy life in Moscow. Now, we have crazy schedules, and we’re touring, working and flying every single day. But I like it.
Julia: It’s not difficult for me at all. I’m the kind of person who always looks ahead. I don’t care what the past is like, and what goes on around me. I just focus on what is in front of me. I like change, when I get to meet different people and travel to different countries. I enjoy it.
And most importantly, the fans have been a great help. I’ve been waiting so long for the chance to meet them again, and I’m so happy that I have.

A two-year break is actually quite a long time in the entertainment industry. Were you apprehensive about anything before you released this album?
Lena: No. Why should we worry? We’re just doing what we want to do, and putting our hearts into this album. We want to sing, to tell other people how we feel through our music.
We’ve put our hearts into this album, and we want people to think about what we’re singing about when they listen to it. We feel that this album is more serious and dark, compared to our previous one. It’s more psychological and depressing. It’s not meant to be “fun”, so we want everyone to listen to the lyrics and try to understand what we’re trying to tell them.

So what are you trying to tell your listeners?
Julia: This is an album about people who can’t love, support or respect each other - they’re like fake people. The Russian title of this album translate to ‘invalid people’ or ‘disabled people’. But they’re not physically disabled, they’re morally disabled. We think that it’s time to change that, for people to be kinder, calmer to be in love.
Lena: There are so many dangerous things, and dangerous people around us. Those fake people can do harm to normal people. They change people, and we feel that’s a big problem. Everyday, there are horrible things happening in the world, and people are angry, rude, mean, selfish... whatever else there is. It’s not a good thing.

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?
Lena: I don’t know, it’s hard to say.
Julia: For me, I want to change the hearts and minds of people. To tell them through this album that it’s time to change.
Lena: That’s what we’re trying to do through this album. And we hope that message will come across.

Since your album is titled Dangerous and Moving,would you say that the two of you don’t mind doing things other people might consider dangerous?
Lena: We’re not dangerous - we’re good girls.
Julia: The danger is what’s around us, not us.
Lena: We’re living our lives with love - that’s what we’ve always been doing.

You have a song called “Friend or Foe”.
Lena: There’s a message that’s close to our lives behind this song. The track is about how famous people, or people in the limelight, can sometimes have difficulty figuring out why people want to make friends with us. We can’t tell if it’s because they really want to be our friend and they really like our personalities, or because they think we’re rich, or just because they want to be able to boast and tell their friends that they have a friend in t.a.t.u.

Have you found a way to differentiate these “fake” friends from the true ones?
Lena: Yes! Most of our true friends are people from our lives.
Julia: People who lead normal lives, who’re not in the showbiz.
Lena: They’re just regular, normal people living normal lives.

The two of you stir up controversy wherever you go, and one of the things everybody always asks is the one of about your sexual orientation. Are you sick of being asked the “are-you-or-are-you-not” question?
Lena: No, because we understand that it’s something many people are very interested in.

Do you have any regrets of what you’ve done in the past?
Lena: No. We’re totally okay with everything we’ve done. If it happens, it happens for a reason. It’s meant to be like that. We just look straight ahead and how could it be a mistake, if we do what we feel is right? Everything comes from the heart.

What do you enjoy most about your job right now?
Julia: The fans. They bring us the greatest joy.
Lena: They give us so much love and support, and that gives us the energy to go on. All we do is try to give them back the same kind of love. Even when we meet those who can be quite aggressive, we are never afraid. They just love us, and everything they do is out of love.

Since Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, we took the chance to find out what Lena and Julia thought about love and being in love.

What do you think is the sweetest thing about being in love?
Lena: Just being in love.
Julia: Love is just love. It is everything.

Are you romantic people?
Lena: I am a very romantic person.
Julia: I am definitely not a romantic person. There are times where I like a little romance, but I think my character and mindset is a lot more like a male than a female. Many guys find it difficult to be with me because I have a very manly character.
Lena: Man qualities. (Laughs)

What’s the sweetest thing your guy has ever done for you?
Lena: There are so many things, it’s difficult to choose! But I love it when my boyfriend prepares candlelight dinners for me. It’s so sweet, especially when he takes the time to cook the meal himself.

What does love mean to you?
Lena: Love is life.
Julia: Love encompasses everything in the world. Love is all.

Two girls, three band members and a 40 000 strong audience, all packed into a football stadium in central Taipei. The magic combination that equals to an explosive performance! Lena and Julia wowed the crowd as the only international performers at the V Power Concert organised by Channel V, at the Zhongshan Football Stadium, despite the dismal weather and slight drizzle.
After performances by Mando-pop acts like Nicholas Zhang, Show Luo, Fish Leung and the likes, the audience was waiting in eager anticipation for the girls to appear onstage. And they were not disappointed. Opening with their hit “All About Us”, Julia shocked the crowd (and us), with her “breezy” outfit - a bikini top and bottom, with a very short pareo that offered little protection from the wind, while Lena was all covered up in a black jacket and slacks, much like their outfit from the music video of the song. Moving on to tracks like “Loves Me Not”, “Friend or Foe” and title track “Dangerous and Moving”, the girls pranced all over the stage, teasing the crowd by holding hands, touching each others’ faces, and looking at each other longingly from across the stage. Julia’s vocals showed audible signs of strain, especially with the higher notes, but she held through the whole night admirably.
They closed their 20-minute set with their first international hit single “All The Things She Said”, leaving their fans thirsting for more but promising to be back with even more of their infectious music another day.

If I forget him, I may become like the grown-ups. Who knows the cost of everything but not the value of things - Antoine de Saint-Exupery (Le Petit Prince)

Last edited by alexis on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 4:41 am
Jayce

Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice article. It's nice to see something positive about them coming out of the press.

Thanks alexis! Thumb

"Do not believe in press all that is written!" - Yulia Volkova, 2003
Sunrider is truly a ninja. - IvyRevolution
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 4:55 am
billiechaz

Wonderful...plain wonderful.

Quote:
The two of you stir up controversy wherever you go, and one of the things everybody always asks is the one of about your sexual orientation. Are you sick of being asked the “are-you-or-are-you-not” question?
Lena: No, because we understand that it’s something many people are very interested in.

The interview was one of the best i've read because, Yes, they did ask about the "kissing" but they put it in a way which didn't corner the girls and didn't piss them off.

Quote:
Julia: I am definitely not a romantic person. There are times where I like a little romance, but I think my character and mindset is a lot more like a male than a female. Many guys find it difficult to be with me because I have a very manly character.
Lena: Man qualities. (Laughs)

Just brilliant. it's kinda letting you into their world a little bit.

Over all, this interview is 5*. It proves that t.A.T.u. have matured. they were honest and funny, good job girls and good job teens magazine Grin .

[/quote]
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 6:39 am
High Summoner

Quote:
What do you enjoy most about your job right now?
Julia: The fans. They bring us the greatest joy.
Lena: They give us so much love and support, and that gives us the energy to go on. All we do is try to give them back the same kind of love. Even when we meet those who can be quite aggressive, we are never afraid. They just love us, and everything they do is out of love.

aww..that was very nice

great interview! Thumb

http://kageshuriken.wordpress.com
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 8:44 am
DeletedMemory

LOL I loved how Yulia described her character as more of masculine than feminie, and Lena reacts at it as man qualities. Grin

Nice interview! Thanks for posting! Thumb
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 12:10 pm
RowerB

Thanks for posting. alexis.
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 12:52 pm
iLuvjulia84

Yes, thank u very much Smile

M Y S P A C E / C A L I F O R N I A L U V 8 4
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 1:01 pm
sEi-saMa

wow. nice interview... it was really positive... and the umbiance ws light... i like. thanks for posting..! Thumb

Other Fanfiction
So Contagious
Melodies of Life
Will You Wait for Me?
Sleep Will Set You Free
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 2:11 pm
Maraja

Very nice interview, I am glad I read it. Thanks a lot for posting alexis!

I too think the part about Yulia having "man qualities" was rather funny, but very honest. It was nice to hear Yulia say such sweet things about the fans, too.
PostTue Feb 28, 2006 5:36 pm
denial

Quote:

thanks for the interview. I like this one very much especially about that Yulia admitting her manly characters. This the first time she admitted that. Because I think many of us always thougth so too ... She is the prettiest boy.

psst.... Yulia, set your plan .. go marry Lena... I know its not going to be easy ... but she already addmited your manly ...hmm hmmm.. Devil

...duh... already sounded soo fanfic.
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 1:35 pm
Kristya

denial wrote:
Quote:

thanks for the interview. I like this one very much especially about that Yulia admitting her manly characters. This the first time she admitted that. Because I think many of us always thougth so too ... She is the prettiest boy.

psst.... Yulia, set your plan .. go marry Lena... I know its not going to be easy ... but she already addmited your manly ...hmm hmmm.. Devil

...duh... already sounded soo fanfic.

Yulia already proposed to Lena but Lena said no. Wink
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 1:44 pm
denial

Kristya wrote:

oh she did? when was that?

Well ... anyway.. in that case ... Yulia should set another plan. Sometimes, on thier stage performances, I could see that Lena has this .."don't do that, I dont believe you anymore" looks for Yulia.... so Yulia have to use her manly power and work harder.
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 2:00 pm
High Summoner

^ I think it was when they were in that interview in Denmark..and Yulia goes like: Lena, we should try marrying once...and Lena is like: NO not with you. I really don't remember, long time since I saw that interview

http://kageshuriken.wordpress.com
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 3:45 pm
Jayce

Surprised/Shocked Unbelievable! Who wouldn't want to marry Yulia?

I know I would! Grin

"Do not believe in press all that is written!" - Yulia Volkova, 2003
Sunrider is truly a ninja. - IvyRevolution
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 6:22 pm
Sakuya

actually it was like:
J: lena.. maybe we shoyld try married?
L: with you? never
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 7:45 pm
denial

thanks for the info guys!

So the idea already with Yulia. hmmm... a challenge eh .. will see.. well.. she managed to drag Lena into that wedding dress and photoshoot.. and next.. who knows .. Devil

..beside I remember on another interview they were asking where most beautiful people are .. and Yulia answer beautiful males are everywhere but pretiest girls are in Russia... very flattering if I were Lena... Annoyed
PostWed Mar 01, 2006 8:46 pm
xena225

denial wrote:
Kristya wrote:

oh she did? when was that?

That was quite a funny interview actually, it was in Denmark (where marriage between two women / two men is indeed legal). You can find a download link and more info here:

Tatu in Denmark
http://www.tatu.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16567

Thank you for posting this interview / article /concert review, alexis! Thumb That was very interesting indeed.

Everything comes from the heart. I love that quote by Lena. Thumb :)

I wonder what "a manly character", "man qualities" are supposed to be, though. I wish they'd asked Yulia about that. Oh well, maybe next time. :)

xena225
PostThu Mar 02, 2006 4:17 am
denial

Thank you Xena ,, I just downloaded that video. It was fun. Annoyed
PostThu Mar 02, 2006 2:22 pm
N+G

Quote:
Lena: ... Those fake people can do harm to normal people. They change people, and we feel that’s a big problem. Everyday, there are horrible things happening in the world, and people are angry, rude, mean, selfish... whatever else there is. It’s not a good thing.

Very true, very true.

Nice interview.

Hey thanks very much for posting, alexis! I can't believe I missed this issue! Thanks for posting! Now I'm not missing out.

With a heart that's beating louder than my own, I watch a woman that I know to atone for a sin I didn't care for.
Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand.
PostThu Mar 02, 2006 7:57 pm
Mr Anderson

Hey thanks for posting alexis. Thumb

Please visit this page and think about it for a moment
PostThu Mar 02, 2006 8:14 pm
darkvader

I just think the answers in english of Yulia are still so plain,

i mean i know if she was interviewed in russian, we´ll had a page just for the answer of "What do you think about love?"

Anyway, good interview

Thumb
PostTue Mar 14, 2006 12:12 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: