:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
Express Gazetta: Galoyan says it all [June 15]

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakuya

Post subject: Express Gazetta: Galoyan says it all [June 15] Reply with quote
Quote:
[From Express Gazetta]

The wife of the Tatu-composer left for Dima Bilan

Serguey Galoyan became widely known after have written Tatu hits All The Things She Said and Not Gonna Get Us. On this wave of Tatu’s international success, British publisher Appleby Music Ltd. signed a contract with him. Since then he’s been predominantly working with the Western artists.

- Working in the West is clearly a lot better than in Russia, - confessed Serguey. – Over there, they appreciate a person not because his face is constantly on a TV but because of his real work. Let’s say that after the success of All The Things She Said, they ordered me to make a remix for Marilyn Manson, after – for Jennifer Lopez and shortly after I was invited to Los Angeles to make a couple of tracks for Prodigy’s Keith Flint solo album.

Dirty name

I got to work with Tatu again. After the first album, I was very angry with them. I consider my music to be one of the main bits of their success. Not to mention they robbed me of my money but more than that – they took all the credits! For instance, in the documentary Anatomy of Tatu they never even mentioned my name. Instead, Vanya Shapovalov was there sitting in front of the camera and cynically lied how he supposingly wrote All The Things She Said. And it was after I won all legal trials and made them to remove from the note-liners to the album his dirty name as a co-writer of my songs.

Naturally, I got no desire to continue any kind of collaboration with such people. Somehow, in 2004 the Tatu management started to almost stalk me with their phone calls. They arranged a meeting with Boris Rensky – who invested the money to create the group. They said they fired Ivan and they thought everything he had been doing lately was a mistake. So I agreed to help them out with the second album. Without Ivan and his constant intrigues it was a pure pleasure to work with Tatu. More over I had a romance with their press-attaché Sasha Tityanko. I saw her during negotiations and fell so hopelessly in love that we got married half of a year later. During the Los Angeles recording sessions, Yulia fell in love too. In order to support the girls, their fathers followed them to Los Angeles. Once the father of Lena Katina brought them to a night club, which belonged to his friend. This friend introduced Yulia to Tigran, who impressed her by his gallant manners. To make it short, everyone felt happily in love, everyone was in a great mood and the work went smoothly from the beginning.

The stomach acid

- But it wasn’t all problem free – sighs Galoyan. – Tatu chose 7 out of 12 songs I gave them. Plus they asked me to produce two more songs of another authors. Actually, it made me the main producer of their album. It didn’t fit Interscope plans. “We won’t allow you to make the album all by yourself”, - told me Martin Kirzenbaum. – You are too young and unknown. You need a co-producer with a name”. As a result, I had to take my British publisher Denis Ingoldsby as the co-producer. Why in this case do I feel furious that Ivan signed himself as my co-producer? The situation was absolutely different over there. A world wide known group Tatu didn’t quite exist yet. There were two school-girls and a dubious fellow with paedophilic sides. He was constantly f**king 13-years old girls. But the main problem is that he simply fooled me around. He promised me one thing and did everything the other way round. In the West, people agree on such things beforehand. Unfortunately, the problems didn’t end up there. Interscope demanded to finish the album during 3 months, threatening to otherwise recall the contract. At this very inappropriate moment Yulia lost her voice. It happened because she gave birth. Some kind of stomach acid burnt her vocal cords. She began to terribly wheeze. By this moment we’d already had the studio rented. It was specified in the contract that the studio costs will be covered out of my royalties. Sasha Tityanko found herself between two sides. As a Tatu manager, she was obliged to defend their interests. From another side, as my wife she had to take care of me. It all ended up by a complete quarrel between her and Rensky and as a result, they fired her. I broke up with Rensky too.

Million bucks for a song

- Kirzenbaum took advantage of the situation and imposed Tatu another person to finish the album, smiles sadly Galoyan. As a result the album lacks that special Tatu sound, which was on the first album.

Kirzenbaum insisted that the video would be made for the songs that had a direct connection with him and none with me. All About Us wasn’t that bad. After they started to make videos for a complete crap like Friend Or Foe and Gomenasai. Rensky invested more than a million dollars into the second album plus 600 000 into videos. The album managed to sell only 2 million copies. Taking into account that the first album sold more than 13 million copies, it all sounded very little. The only person who made profit was Kirzenbaum. He received good royalties for the audio and video rotations. It’s in Russia the authors get next to nothing. All my royalties for the first album were 30 000 dollars in Russia. In the West, I received one million only for TV and radio airplay of All The Things She Said. If Ivan didn't take half of my royalties, I’d have received double as much.

Time put everything in its order. Ivan is almost 40 and a finished addict. He’s sitting in his summer house and sniffs heroin. As for me, despite of all his games, I continue to do real work in the show business. I constantly receive queries both from Russian and from Western artists. Thus, a month ago I had a meeting with Tatu. They want us to become friends again and they want me to make their third album. Sasha Tityanko isn’t left doing nothing either. She’s working with Dima Bilan at the moment helping him to break through in the West. Unfortunately, our family life with Sasha didn’t go well. First we had a crazy love and after nothing. Everything finished. We’ve been living separately for about a year now and recently left a divorce application.

Mikhail Filimonov

Source: EG (Russia) [Express Gazetta]
http://www.eg.ru/publication.mhtml?Part=16&PubID=9168
Translation: TatySite.net Team

t.A.T.u BLOG:
http://blog.tatu.ru/Sakuya
Last FM:
http://www.last.fm/user/sakuya-san
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 1:36 pm
Tom

Post subject: Reply with quote
That's a very sad story and goes a long way to explain why t.A.T.u favoured singles such as Friend or Foe and Gomenasai over, for example, Cosmos (Outer Space) and Sacrifice. Though I'm confused how he claims they only chose 7 out the 12 songs he produced.

He's credited on Vsya Moya Lubov, Cosmos/Kosmos and Perfect Enemy/Novoya Model. I assume the "other two" he was refering to are We Shout/Nichya and Obezyanka Nol/Null and Void. Then from the demos, I guess I Know, You and All My Love were produced by him.

So, wouldn't that be 9 out 12? Or perhaps there are some demos that weren't leaked.
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 5:15 pm
volkovaddict

hmm. interesting.

he is very negative. about them.

Let me love you, like you're the shit girl;
Your the shit girl; your the shit, girl.

Last edited by volkovaddict on Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 5:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
t.A.T.u97

Well he was right, picking FoF and Gomenasai over other sounds was pretty crap, can't say I was a fan of those.

Pretty shitty for him to go public with all of this, though. Very unprofessional.

~Gay for Yulia~
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 6:24 pm
Jayce

He sounds very bitter. He needs to understand Tatu under Ivan were not really in control of anything though. Ivan told them exactly how to behave and what to say. So it's not like you can really blame the girls for not mentioning him.

"Do not believe in press all that is written!" - Yulia Volkova, 2003
Sunrider is truly a ninja. - IvyRevolution
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 6:42 pm
tatufan dutch

Indeed, FoF isn't a really great song for a video, but great for a club. And Gom is not good for both. Gom is for the cd. cosmos should be a single, and Perfect enemy. A russian and english version of course.

E.T

I came from nowhere and I don't know where I'm going yet
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 7:11 pm
volkova_89

I hope they can work with him again because the songs he produced were very good songs. Thumb
PostSat Jun 16, 2007 8:41 pm
xena225

Express Gazetta. Ahem. Rolleyes

Why would Galoyan go to such a notorious tabloid? Well, if he did, he doesn't really come across as the most professional human being, the sulkiness, the pointing of fingers and the airing of dirty laundry of bygone days... Oh well.

I didn't really learn anything new from this article, and I'm taking some of the things with a big pinch of salt. Not just because of the source (Express Gazetta), but because his is only one side of the story - and emotions still seem to run high. He definitely has a bone to pick with Shapovalov, like a few other people do, but it would also be fair to remember that without Shap, there'd be no Tatu. As for Interscope, I agree that bad business decisions were made, but they are not the "big bad", they are not solely responsible, t.A.T.u. management aren't helpless puppets, if there's blame, there's blame to share - and Galoyan first and foremost seems to be personally insulted that his part in the album production wasn't as big as he had hoped initially. Like I said, two sides to a story. (Or more.)

"Thus, a month ago I had a meeting with Tatu. They want us to become friends again and they want me to make their third album."

Now that sounds interesting, that's in fact the only thing that made reading this worthwhile. I hope they will work something out, Galoyan could indeed contribute a few good songs, just like he did in the past. He has the t.A.T.u. sound down pat, he had a big hand in creating their sound, so I'd very much like him to return and work with Lena and Yulia. He also says that "it was a pure pleasure to work with Tatu" - bright prospects, if you ask me, good premises for a new collaboration.

And by the way: I like the sound of "Lyudi Invalidy / Dangerous and Moving" - no, it's not the exact same sound as "Dvesti Po Vstrechnoi / 200 km in the Wrong Lane". But with the exception of Gomenasai, the "special Tatu sound" is indeed there. There is development, evolution, lyrically and musically - yet the essence of Tatu is very palpable and present.

Thanks for posting, Sakuya! Thumb
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 3:59 am
missionman8

Yeah, Lyudi-Invalidy really wasn't much of departure production and musically from their first album. So he really does do very good professional production work, no doubt. His real gripe is quite deep with Ivan apparently. Which 13 year old girls was he referring to? Yulia and Lena?!? Yikes!! Also, that's horrid about Yulia's stomach acid eroding her vocal chords, I hadn't heard that much detail before. Selling two millions albums isn't bad at all, even by our western standards. I hope this is true about him working on their third album to keep that 'Tatu' sound going. It won't ever be real rock' mostly just dance/pop, but that's what I like about them anyways. Smile
PostSun Jun 17, 2007 4:29 am
RowerB

Thanks for the posting article, Sakuya and thanks for the translation, TatySite.net Team.

Quote:
I consider my music to be one of the main bits of their success.

Their success was entirely due to Yulia, Lena Katina and Ivan. Galoyan just happened to luck into it.

Quote:
As a result the album lacks that special Tatu sound,

Of course the tatu sound exists on the second album. The sound comes from Yulia and Lena, not the songs or the production.

Quote:
After they started to make videos for a complete crap like Friend Or Foe and Gomenasai.

Friend or Foe is a great song. Given promotion and a decent video it would have proved that.

Quote:
We’ve been living separately for about a year now and recently left a divorce application.

My opinion of Sasha Tityanko has soared.

I hope tatu have nothing more to do with Galoyan.
PostWed Jun 20, 2007 4:24 pm
Starrgurl

I agree with you, RowerB. FOF and Gomenasai were great songs that deserved nice videos. It was just the videos themselves that turned out to be crap.
OMG THAT'S IT!
Going OT here but I just realized I'm taking a video production class next year, and in the second semester we get to make music videos. I think I'll try and make a decent video for FOF, or Gomenasai if possible, preferably both. And hopefully this one I can figure out how to host on youtube or something!

There's no room for practicality
It sucks up all originality
A paradox in its finality
You create your own reality

Oh and a big thanx to Ghost Of You for the banner
PostTue Jul 03, 2007 4:35 pm
Troika

RowerB wrote:
Their success was entirely due to Yulia, Lena Katina and Ivan. Galoyan just happened to luck into it.

I'm not out for an argument here but Yulia or Lena didn't write anything for their first album and still haven't written a single song as far as I know so the people behind the songs contributed very much to their success imo.
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 10:06 am
RowerB

Troika wrote:
I'm not out for an argument here but Yulia or Lena didn't write anything for their first album and still haven't written a single song as far as I know so the people behind the songs contributed very much to their success imo.

It was Yulia and Lena’s producer who brought together the composers and writers. They could have been anyone. Galoyan and Kiper got lucky. The success would have been just as big without them. (That means with other writers and composers.)

This, not writing their songs rubbish, which we constantly see used against tatu, is meaningless in my opinion. The sound is all that is important and that comes from Yulia and Lena.
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 12:04 pm
missionman8

I think he's including the producer as well, not just the songwriters. And their success would definately not been as big without them. It doesn't take just a good producer, but the entire ensemble. Crap songs would equal less sales. That's obvious isn't it?
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 12:29 pm
RowerB

^
When I said (That means with other writers and composers.), I meant people who were reasonable at their job. I wasn’t talking about that bloke down the pub. Ivan would have found another Galoyan.
PostTue Jul 10, 2007 1:11 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: