:: Home :: FAQ:: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

Google
t.A.T.u. + Universal/Interscope end contractual relationship
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xena225

Post subject: t.A.T.u. + Universal/Interscope end contractual relationship Reply with quote
Tatu.ru news update:

Quote:
August, 30

t.A.T.u. and Universal/Interscope Music have come to a mutual decision to end their contractual relationship.

t.A.T.u., along with its management team would like to sincerely thank Universal/Interscope Music for all of their support and efforts to place the group among their priority artists for the five years they were associated. Together we were able to establish t.A.T.u. as a success story and stars in many countries around the world along with sell in excess of eight million (8,000,000) records.

Universal/Interscope Music will continue with its plans to release a CD/DVD entitled "t.A.T.u. THE BEST" now scheduled for world wide release on September, 11 2006.

t.A.T.u. management

http://www.tatu.ru/en/news.html?id=369&page=0&l=en

Squint

xena225
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 11:49 am
Tom

Post subject: Reply with quote
So, like... no more t.A.T.u then? That sucks.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 11:54 am
xena225

No more t.A.T.u. with Universal/Interscope.

No information yet on a new label, a new contract and such.

I gotta say: A lot of people weren't exactly happy with the way Interscope promoted Tatu during the last months. This may have something to do with it.

Let's wait for the next update.

xena225
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 11:57 am
iLuvjulia84

Thanx for the info xena Smile
..i think, and i hope this will be a great thing :] Cuz, Interscope was kinda.. meh Half Frown

M Y S P A C E / C A L I F O R N I A L U V 8 4
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 12:05 pm
QuieroTatu

I understand that taty probably wants the split to end on good terms but...

GOOD RIDDANCE.

It isn't as if inter/univ did anything short of the bare minimum of promotion. It stinks that they are without a label, and we dont know how long that will last; but they should be able to do better.

Wasn't their contract for like five studio albums?

This could be the end of the group. Then again that's been the feeling a million times and they've always held on.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 12:08 pm
Sakuya

What about their live dvd.. It is marked as sony music label project. So maye taty will be with that label from now on...
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 12:19 pm
volkova_89

tatu without a label ... that sucks!! Mad
But .. I agree with those who say that Interscope didn't promote them. They didn't even do the slighest effort to promote the Dangerous & Moving CD in the US or have the songs played on the radio Half Frown . I really hope the girls get through this and find a better label who's willing to support them.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 1:46 pm
kateM

Lets hope we get some info from the management soon, to clear thing up.

The girls are smart enough to promote themselves so really all they need is an independent Label who will produce the record (maybe Trevor Horn producing. Does he have his own Label!!??) Plenty of bands are successful without a major label.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 2:00 pm
Tsui

I guess we could've seen it comming. Like some have said, a lot of people didn't like the way Inter/Universal promoted the girls and I think the girls didn't like, as well. I mean, when Yulia said, in a interview in Mexico, that Gomenasai had been the label's choice for a single, a that their last visit to Japan had a low budget (don't remember the source for this one), I don't know, but I started to suspect that something was going on.

I hope tatu is able to overcome this and that the project continues, much for our delight. Grin
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 2:20 pm
the king of sting

Well, that explains the compilation they're putting out, usually a sign of "we're -unhappy-with-our-deal-and-want-out-right-now"

This'll make things more difficult as far as reissues go, but thats a long way off just yet. Still, would you throw away a deal with a label as big as universal if there wasn't an alternative lined up?
The Tajik in space was the best one. Apparently he's been in the Soyuz since 1990 but when the USSR broke up responsibility for getting him back passed to Tajikistan, which could not afford it. However he's been paid ever since and now has USD 100,000,000 in his space account. He can't spend it until he hires a ship to get him down, which he will do if you activate his bank account...
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 2:50 pm
danlucky16

Yeah, I suspected 'The Best' CD/DVD was released to complete their contract. I suppose Interscope and Universal wouldn't have been happy with D&M's sales (800 000 worldwide, if I remember correctly) but if I were t.A.T.u. or their management I wouldn't be happy with the way Interscope/Universal dealt with releases after 'All About Us' - it was clearly not planned well, hence the huge breaks between single releases.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the girls decide to continue with music.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 3:09 pm
QuieroTatu

It's a real shame though; D&M is really a mediocre album in terms of consistency; but it is filled with hooky potential singles. Look at All About Us and Friend or Foe: the songs had plenty of radio potential, pretty good critic reception and wickedly chic music videos.

So much untapped potential for this record.

Cosmos, Loves Me Not, Pefect Enemy, Dangerous and Moving...

All these could have hit the radio and done so well. They've got that faux industrial grit, pleasing electronic fans, power pop fans, and radio fans. It just makes me so mad how much work went into this record and how well it SHOULD have done.

The loyal fan base is here, and we did the best we could, I wrote about the album for local papers, shared samples with my friends etc... There is only so much we could do. The record label should have given more to the album and the group. They could have struck gold, and instead taty is walking away and hopefully to more success elswhere.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 3:34 pm
Starrgurl

NOOOOOOOOOOOO! Well ok it kinda does makes sense since Universal didn't promote them that well. But what if they don't get a new contract? What if this is... god forbid... THE END?! Surprised/Shocked *Sky turns dark and Beehtoven's Fifth plays ominously*
*Sigh* I guess if tATu doesn't get another contract, then we can break down and cry and scream "YOU MANIAC! YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!"
Then hide under the covers as Satan recreates all evil known in this universe and burns the whole planet to a mere tiny twig.
Or, unlike me, not overreact.
But should they unite with a better label, then we can celebrate and feast upon the lambs... and the sloths... and the mice... and the flamingos... and the minstrels... and the breakfest cereals... and the fruit bats...
There we go. Put some humor into what could possibly turn out to be the most tragic event of all time. Brilliant! Not.

Btw I don't actually suggest you eat those things. I'm really a vegetarian, but I can still goof around, can't I?

There's no room for practicality
It sucks up all originality
A paradox in its finality
You create your own reality

Oh and a big thanx to Ghost Of You for the banner
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 5:00 pm
BlackEGO

I knew this was gonna happen very soon, Interscope/universal is not the label it was 3 years ago, when every artist they had were reaching #1 on the charts, thoese times are long gone. Today the majorty of there artist are flopping all over the music charts. There only big name artist they have right now is 50 cent, and it seems he's almost over. Indifferent

Hopefully they will sign a better record deal with a lable that will put them back on a international platform like during the promo period of 200km.

Theres no reason to over react, all artist go through different labels during the carrer, this is normal. Smile
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 5:05 pm
jonny

The whole interscope thing has been about spending as little money as they can, t.A.T.u were already big in russia and they got them to translate the songs.. the videos were already shot so interscope havent really had to spend any money and the cash rolled in from 200km album sales. And they thought that the same thing would happen with the 2nd album.. But D&M just turned up in the shops randomly in october last year for most but the die hard of fans, so how was it meant to sell well if people didnt know about it?

Im praying this isnt the end.. surely some record company would die to have t.A.T.u on the books. Even if the last album didnt do so well.. people still know the name, it's something to work from.

I give up lol smelly thing it is..pft to it
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 5:48 pm
QuieroTatu

Mansa Musa wrote:
There only big name artist they have right now is 50 cent, and it seems he's almost over. Indifferent

Thank god that wave is over.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 6:04 pm
jonny

Ive been looking on google news and a few artists who have left Interscope have gone and signed another deal with another off shoot of universal.. so perhaps if the problem was just with Interscope they might stick with universal russia or get a new contract with another part of the company.

Also if you google interscope most the artists that come up are hip hop and R&B.. not to many bands like t.A.T.u.. lol if there is any other band in the world like t.A.T.u that is..

PostWed Aug 30, 2006 6:59 pm
DJFan2

This could really be the end

Gosh, I have been a fan of theirs since 2001. I'm gonna miss them!
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 7:46 pm
QuieroTatu

Nah, it isn't over. I've been a fan for several years now too, Im not letting them go that easy. They aren't off the hook yet.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 7:57 pm
volkova_89

They're just looking what's better for their music. I don't think this is the end.
PostWed Aug 30, 2006 8:35 pm
Never Mind

How could you even think of them quitting right now? it's not even an option for me of thinking that lol, these things happens all the time, bands change labels, no worries, im sure the management know what to do next.
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 6:30 am
xena225

Here's what we've been waiting for. :)

Quote:
August, 31

Guys, no panic.

Four things:

1) t.A.T.u. are not going to end. Everything will go the way it was planned, and in 2007 youll get third album.

2) Musicians are not the record label property, but indispensable part of t.A.T.u. Sven, Troy, Steve and Doman are with us!

3) Of course, we have the understanding how, with whom, and, most importantly, WHERE were going. Such important decisions are not made in a rash. But the time to tell everything has not come yet. Please, be patient. We'll keep you informed.

4) Somebody liked it, others not, but all the key people that take part in t.A.T.u. are staying.

t.A.T.u. management

http://www.tatu.ru/en/news.html?id=370&page=0&l=en

Thanks to management for this update. Thumb
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 6:36 am
RowerB

Thanks for posting, xena225. This is the first place Ive seen this posted and its cheered me up.

If Ivan were still in charge hed have us holding our breath for weeks. Dont you just miss the old days?
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 6:43 am
Tsui

^No! lol
I don't miss having 4 heart-atacks in a week, or in a month! lol but I know what you mean Wink It's good they're more concerned in clearing things for us than they were before.

A change of label is normal, yes, I just don't think it to be normal in the midle of an album promo.
It's good to know the rest of the band is staying with the girls, yay! Although I find it hard to believe they'll release a third album on 2007, even if it is in the late 2007...
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 6:54 am
Never Mind

Aah good to hear Thumb thanks for posting!
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 7:28 am
iLuvjulia84

Thanx for that xena225! Thumb
Glad to have everything all cleared up Smile

M Y S P A C E / C A L I F O R N I A L U V 8 4
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 7:35 am
DJFan2

Good 2 hear....

Whats going on with there tour though?
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 am
Maraja

Oh God I was so happy when I read the topic title!!! Grin And now I'm even more happy. Buh-byeee Universal and Interscope!
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 10:13 am
kateM

Great news and thank god we've got a management team who actually care about the fans and keep us updated, but shame on those of you who thought this was the end!(only joking) You should know that Julia and Lena aren't quitters.

I admire them for sticking to what they want Tatu to represent and walking away from a label who wasn't fully behind that. They're not afraid to change things that aren't working for them. I think this will be a good move because it means the girls are now 100% in charge of the direction they want to go in.

"GO GIRLS," we're all behind you. (and no-one should doubt a Tatu fans loyalty.)
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 11:27 am
Tom

I was just thinking, I hope the "Loves Me Not" video doesn't turn into another "Show Me Love" that ends up surfacing unfinished 2 years too late Frown
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 12:28 pm
jonny

Well this time it hasnt even been shot so.. no chance of that happening.

PostThu Aug 31, 2006 12:37 pm
Starrgurl

tATu lives on? HOORAY!!!! w00t It's not the apocalypse after all! *Sings* Joy to the world, tATu is come!...
Thank god 'cause I was really worried there for a sec.
I mean if it really was over then their message of love would be forgotten, and the ljudi invalidy would grow and spread until Russia was dominated by robots. Then the robots would turn on us and set off nuclear weapons all over the globe, not only killing millions but also disrupting the earth's crust, resulting in supervolcanic eruptions that would cover the entire planet in hot ash. And all this disturbance would likely throw off the earth's orbit, causing any major asteroid in our orbit to fly straight into the sun, setting off huge gamma ray blasts that would destroy any remaining life matter. And Satan's roaring, meniachal laugh would be heard by all souls as all that's left of the earth is swallowed by a massive black hole...
But tATu is not over, so we have nothing to worry about! We can relax now! THE WORLD IS SAVED!
Well, maybe not. We're all gonna die anyway, with all the global warming and plauges and all. But at least we still have tATu!!!

*Sings* It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine...

Btw you could actually do something about global warming by signing this petition: http://go.care2.com/e/m4u/qf/SG6R

There's no room for practicality
It sucks up all originality
A paradox in its finality
You create your own reality

Oh and a big thanx to Ghost Of You for the banner
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 1:15 pm
the king of sting

RowerB wrote:

If Ivan were still in charge hed have us holding our breath for weeks. Dont you just miss the old days?

I do as a matter of fact. In this world of global marketing strategies and focus groups, it was refreshing to have a drunk at the wheel, a loose cannon if you will.

Great to see the rest of the band sticking together, the whole D&M album is that much better live than it is recorded, the opposite of how it was back in the 200KM/H days when every second performance was mimed.

And QuieroTatu's onto something there, plenty of untapped potential as far as singles went. I would've thought Goneasai was lucky to make it on the album, let alone be a single, whilst Loves Me Not and Cosmos were overlooked. Just didn't seem like a good choice, and one ehich could have made all the difference.

Hmm....there are "interesting times" ahead.
The Tajik in space was the best one. Apparently he's been in the Soyuz since 1990 but when the USSR broke up responsibility for getting him back passed to Tajikistan, which could not afford it. However he's been paid ever since and now has USD 100,000,000 in his space account. He can't spend it until he hires a ship to get him down, which he will do if you activate his bank account...
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 3:47 pm
QuieroTatu

xena225 wrote:
Here's what we've been waiting for. :)

Quote:
August, 31

Guys, no panic.

Four things:

1) t.A.T.u. are not going to end. Everything will go the way it was planned, and in 2007 youll get third album.

2) Musicians are not the record label property, but indispensable part of t.A.T.u. Sven, Troy, Steve and Doman are with us!

3) Of course, we have the understanding how, with whom, and, most importantly, WHERE were going. Such important decisions are not made in a rash. But the time to tell everything has not come yet. Please, be patient. We'll keep you informed.

4) Somebody liked it, others not, but all the key people that take part in t.A.T.u. are staying.

t.A.T.u. management

http://www.tatu.ru/en/news.html?id=370&page=0&l=en

Thanks to management for this update. Thumb

Amen, I knew there was no need to worry!
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 3:48 pm
dwobble

I doubt that we are getting the whole story. Bands don't usually change labels in the middle of an album promo.

I suspect what happened is that they are not selling enough CDs, so they were dropped. Music Labels don't keep artists that aren't selling regardless of how well they did three years ago. Music is like any other big business: you either sell your product or service, or you are out of business.

If this is the case, t.A.T.u. management aren't going to come out and say "we were dropped because we aren't selling enough CDs". They are going to try to make things look as positive as possible while they try to sign with another label.

Also, regardless of what really happened, the bad publicity lately (http://www.tatu.ru/en/news.html?id=367&np=0) didn't help much either.

Unfortunately, I think that unless t.A.T.u. starts selling more CDs, then they aren't going to last. So if you want to help, head to your local music store and buy a CD or two.
PostThu Aug 31, 2006 8:15 pm
DeletedMemory

*whew* That got me worried for a bit.. Grin
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 8:44 am
the king of sting

I wouldn't exactly say we're in the middle of an album promo, its been ages since D&M was released. It really is time to start thinking about the next one.
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 11:35 am
QuieroTatu

I don't know about that. D&M could have been such a commerical success, I hate to think of it as a flop. I'd like to see some numbers, I want to know exactly how many copies it sold.
PostFri Sep 01, 2006 2:08 pm
TaTy_DuDe

Hmm i wonder which label there going to end up with Confused
PostSat Sep 02, 2006 12:59 pm
QuieroTatu

the king of sting wrote:

And QuieroTatu's onto something there, plenty of untapped potential as far as singles went. I would've thought Goneasai was lucky to make it on the album, let alone be a single, whilst Loves Me Not and Cosmos were overlooked. Just didn't seem like a good choice, and one ehich could have made all the difference.

Hmm....there are "interesting times" ahead.

Amen, Gomenesai is the weakest track on the album followed by Craving. Cosmos is big and brash, it woulda been a good single
PostSat Sep 02, 2006 1:09 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tatu Forum Index -> Tatu News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: